Game 7—@Western Michigan

zipsoutsider

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Losing a 1st round pick can do that for you. I'd still argue Fleck is a great recruiter and not much more

He isn't doing too great with that 10 win team from last year in Minnesota. FWIW, Corey Davis' only offer coming out of high school was WMU. Terrell's offers were WMU and Kent State.

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

So I meant to ask.. I listened to the game. Did WMU really decline a roughing the kicker penalty? Frenchy didn't understand why they would but I have to think they announced the call wrong or something

It was running into the kicker.  The declined the penalty and kept the 3 on the board.

So I meant to ask.. I listened to the game. Did WMU really decline a roughing the kicker penalty? Frenchy didn't understand why they would but I have to think they announced the call wrong or something

Yes, wouldn’t have given 1st down & didn’t want to take points off the board

It was running into the kicker. The 5 yard penalty wouldn't have game them the first down. I'd imagine they were fine taking the 3 points rather than risk kicking it again or going for it on 4th.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

He isn't doing too great with that 10 win team from last year in Minnesota. FWIW, Corey Davis' only offer coming out of high school was WMU. Terrell's offers were WMU and Kent State.

He didn't do that great his first year at western either. I will wait a year or 2 to let him get his guys in the program. 

5 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Do you think OU is going to win out?  They have the east, but also Toledo left to play.

Hard to say.  I have not watched them play at all this year, but I am sure they are the unimpressive workman mentality team that they always are.  They don’t beat themselves much.  I don’t tune in to watch them though because they are boring af.  I have watched Toledo a few times and it just seems like something just isn’t quite right on offense and they are sputtering.  I am afraid if they could begin to execute to their potential they would be unstoppable.  If our offense could work to its potential, it’s hello Detroit.  Done deal.

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Who is this Milwee person everyone wants fired?

Milwee is the single most powerful force in stopping the Zip offense. Unfortunately he is also our OC. His greatest contribution today was sharing his offensive genius with the WMU OC. The affects showed. Western's OC was horrible.

I honestly think TB could improve this team and program most significantly by firing Milwee. That action would also save TB's job IMHO. Why on earth would you throw the ball when on the WMU 34 with third and 2, and you must sustain the drive and use up the clock? Woody throws a pick and Western goes in for a TD. Hell we were in two down territory to get 2 lost yards and a first down. With a first down we would have at least had the chance for a FG and maybe ice the game.

I cannnot stand Milwee and feel he is not capable of being an OC. That tempers my enthusiasm for our prospects. I wish TB was not so loyal and a better judge of ability as measured by results. I need a beer!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I honestly think TB could improve this team and program most significantly by firing Milwee. That action would also save TB's job IMHO.

I think today's win went a long way in TB having his contract extended.

As we all know, anything can happen...but these Zips are now staring a minimum 7-win regular season square in the face. If that happens, tack on 3 more years to Bowden's contract. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Milwee is the single most powerful force in stopping the Zip offense. Unfortunately he is also our OC. His greatest contribution today was sharing his offensive genius with the WMU OC. The affects showed. Western's OC was horrible.

I honestly think TB could improve this team and program most significantly by firing Milwee. That action would also save TB's job IMHO. Why on earth would you throw the ball when on the WMU 34 with third and 2, and you must sustain the drive and use up the clock? Woody throws a pick and Western goes in for a TD. Hell we were in two down territory to get 2 lost yards and a first down. With a first down we would have at least had the chance for a FG and maybe ice the game.

I cannnot stand Milwee and feel he is not capable of being an OC. That tempers my enthusiasm for our prospects. I wish TB was not so loyal and a better judge of ability as measured by results. I need a beer!:rolleyes:

Unless the Zips unexpectedly tank, he is not going anywhere.

Milwee called a very good game, today, and as a matter of fact has called good games since the conference schedule began.

We got our points whike the weather was a littke better and then kept it mainly on the ground in the second half when the weather turned miserable. Seems logical to me. 

I have had issues with playcalling in the past, but honestly, the playcalling has just been fine since we hit MAC play. 

Why would yoy throw the ball? Because we had a lot of time left on the clock and you needed a first down. Our run game was not that convincing at that point You put the ball in the hands of the 5th year QB. 

Interestingly enough, the next series when we did not throw on 3rd, we had ZN members calling for passes. You have to retain some element of surprise, even when playing conservatively. 

Oh, by the way, we won today.

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think today's win went a long way in TB having his contract extended.

As we all know, anything can happen...but these Zips are now staring a minimum 7-win regular season square in the face. If that happens, tack on 3 more years to Bowden's contract. 

I'd agree. Still need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat though. 

Great win, but I agree with 72 Roo.  Was the TE scripted early only to have him disappear?  Milwee's failure to look ahead seems to be exemp[ified by our failure to get plays in timely,, The play call on the int was a mistake.  Yes, it could have gone for a TD, but it was still the wrong call.

We were starring at a 7-8 win season last year before we lost to Buffalo and Bowling Green. If this game taught us anything lets not circle wins and losses until the games are played. Upsetting a quality team like WMU doesn't mean a whole lot if we turn around and lose to a terrible team like Kent later in the season. Lets just take it one game at a time.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We were starring a 7-8 win season last year before we lost to Buffalo and Bowling Green. If this game taught us anything lets not circle wins and losses until the games are played. Upsetting a quality team like WMU doesn't mean a whole lot if we turn around and lose to a terrible team like Kent later in the season. Lets just take it one game at a time.

We're fans, this is what we do. 

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We were starring a 7-8 win season last year before we lost to Buffalo and Bowling Green. If this game taught us anything lets not circle wins and losses until the games are played. Upsetting a quality team like WMU doesn't mean a whole lot if we turn around and lose to a terrible team like Kent later in the season. Lets just take it one game at a time.

Last year we lost countless key players. Right now we're healthy...healthy, at least, as any college football program can reasonably expect to be 7 weeks into a season. 

Our defense was strong the entire game yesterday. That speaks to the depth we've accrued. They also played at a pretty high level. Everyone wants to credit Amato...and they should. But Stroud has done a great job. Mounds and Woodford too. Throw Gildersleeve in there as well - our guys are in shape and strong.

Great win for the Zips yesterday. It gets some legitimate MAC Championship talk going in Summit County. That's awesome. :rock:

• Like 1