Western Michigan- 1/18/22- 6:00 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

Groce made a smart move last night and reduced Trimble's minutes.  He only played 22 minutes.  He shot 1 of 7 with no  rebounds and no foul shots.  He is having a tough time coming off Covid.  His last 3 games he is 3 of 23 from 3 land.  With Clark playing so poorly Groce does not have much of a bench and Ali and X are logging big minutes.

21 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Groce made a smart move last night and reduced Trimble's minutes.  He only played 22 minutes.  He shot 1 of 7 with no  rebounds and no foul shots.  He is having a tough time coming off Covid.  His last 3 games he is 3 of 23 from 3 land.  With Clark playing so poorly Groce does not have much of a bench and Ali and X are logging big minutes.

In the post-game, Groce specifically stated that he called the TO at the around 4 minutes just to give the kids some rest as he knew that 5 would be in to finish the game.  With Walton bailing, Wynn disappearing and Clarke struggling the depth that was a asset early has disappeared.

• Like 1

I’m late but isn’t this a UA message board lol are you guys fans or what it got pretty negative and dark in here have some faith in your team they found a way to win. That’s what helps in March, a team that never throws in the towel. 

Edited by Bigzip1
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

I’m late but isn’t this a UA message board lol are you guys fans or what it got pretty negative and dark in here have some faith in your team they found a way to win. That’s what helps in March, a team that never throws in the towel. 

They certainly deserve credit for pulling out the win, but without the miracle of us suddenly being able to make 3s and WMU peeing down their leg, we were looking at a double digit loss to a last place MAC team, a game in which we were 15 point favorites.

There is still potential - but a lot of work to do if we want to be anything other than an average MAC team, and average doesn't cut it.

Edited by LZIp

LoyalZIP Transfer Portal Radar™

Advisory: Garvin Clarke

Watch: NONE

Warning: Wynn

This is what I'm feeling now. If Akron doesn't get anything from more than like 3-4 guys a night, March could be ugly especially if it's a cold shooting night like last Friday. Clarke has so much potential. He's a good ball handler and a good passer, sometimes the moment just seems too big for him. He's shown he can shoot well and finish but he's so hit-or-miss. It's strange. 

I still trust Trimble to take any open three or mid-ranger. I wasn't upset with him last night because he took good shots and made his first 3-ball. Groce managed his minutes well, with the quick turnaround too. Dawson was also much better, and he will be very important over the next few weeks with games just about every other day. Nobody can shoot a right-wing transition three as well as he does, he plays such hard D and can get runs started when there's seemingly no life. 

Ultimately, this is shaping up to be Ali and X's team. It seems that Groce trusts them the most and they tend to make the biggest plays and show the most leadership. Tribble has quickly risen to being a second tier leader, if you will. Groce was praising him quite a bit for his vocal leadership yesterday late in the second half before the run. He will never be a great 3-point shooter but if he can shoot a percentage around 30% kind of like Cheese did taking a couple open ones per game, I will take it. Would love to see him get back to the line like he was earlier though. He and Ali were on that championship team two years ago and played some meaningful minutes then. I want to see that leadership come out so this group can build up chemistry like that team had. Is it too late? Probably. But at this point, it's just a fight to get to Cleveland. No game against any of the top 8 will be easy. I just want to see a 40-minute game at both ends before anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

They certainly deserve credit for pulling out the win, but without the miracle of us suddenly being able to make 3s and WMU peeing down their leg, we were looking at a double digit loss to a last place MAC team, a game in which we were 15 point favorites.

There is still potential - but a lot of work to do if we want to be anything other than an average MAC team, and average doesn't cut it.

See v. EMU circa 2020!  Zips weren't necessarily cold from 3 last night but the last few mins was a freak occurrence WHEN clearly the Zips smelled blood in the water which fueled their confidence.

Watching that clip of the last 2 minutes is more fun than inspiring. Looked like 2 average teams playing in the first round of some low mid major conference tourney in front of only the die hard fans.

Edited by NWAkron

11 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Apparently, these things can happen.

Ever since this moment in CBB, I’m not comfortable with anything less than a 15 point lead in the final couple of minutes until the clock hits 0:00. Absolutely gut-wrenching to think if that happened to the Zips in any game, let alone a tournament game. 

9 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ever since this moment in CBB, I’m not comfortable with anything less than a 15 point lead in the final couple of minutes until the clock hits 0:00. Absolutely gut-wrenching to think if that happened to the Zips in any game, let alone a tournament game. 

Arm chair QB: NIU player should have held up and used clock instead of the dunk.  No timeouts, either.