BGSU- 1/20/22

clarkwgriswold

18 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Call it wishful thinking, but it's time for the Zips to put Covid in the rear view mirror and play their best game since Wright State. Zips by 7 points.

Point differential cost you, but I still think you win “Prediction of the Game” award today. 👍

• Thanks 1

Pretty amazing box score - Zips shot 50-50-80 and the one that brought them down on foul shooting was X who is the teams best free throw shooter. Zips shot over 50% from three and two good three point shooters in X and Dawson were both 1-4.  And three guys that got in at the last minute, had one rebound (Kalle), one assist (Wilson) and one basket (Ford). 😄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Pretty amazing box score - Zips shot 50-50-80 and the one that brought them down on foul shooting was X who is the teams best free throw shooter. Zips shot over 50% from three and two good three point shooters in X and Dawson were both 1-4.  And three guys that got in at the last minute, had one rebound (Kalle), one assist (Wilson) and one basket (Ford). 😄

I like the Zips chances if they can continue to post those stats!

Some love from the Kittens:  (but still...Go Rockets!)

RE: Around the MAC - Mens Basketball Edition

Posted: 1/21/2022 7:51:19 AM Akron went into BG tonight and won by 25. Bryan Trimble Jr. went 10-14 from 3 on his way to 33 points.

Akron also won on Tuesday 74-73 over WMU by going on an 11-0 run over the last 2 minutes. Akron improved to 8-1 at home.

Last Edited: 1/21/2022 8:14:59 AM by Eagle66

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yikes, that's brutal.  I thought we were tough during the PCCC and WMU games, but that's on another level.

My favorite line from that thread-  "I have been watching this team since 1976. In all that time, the only truly good coach we have hired was also a drunk and a sexual predator who we let go after 1 season."  LMAO.

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Overall a good game, but I find it concerning that we allowed 19 offensive boards. Not securing boards played a big part in us losing to Kent they way we did. We were able to mask it against BGSU because of our offensive efficiency, but it's something we definitely need to work on. 

Good call.  There were some odd bounces and unfortunate switches (e.g. Castaneda to Plowden) but there was some poor blocking out.

26 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yikes, that's brutal.  I thought we were tough during the PCCC and WMU games, but that's on another level.

My favorite line from that thread-  "I have been watching this team since 1976. In all that time, the only truly good coach we have hired was also a drunk and a sexual predator who we let go after 1 season."  LMAO.

Sexual predator is a little strong but there's something wrong when u have a Plowden and that tubby O'NEAL on floor together  

38 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I am seeing us getting beat a lot on the long rebound. Rebounds where a quicker guard like LCJ could in the past swoop in and snag it while the brutes are locked up in battles for position.

With regard to rebounding, I noticed a big difference when Freeman goes to the bench for a rest.  He is very strong and quick to the ball as a rebounder.  Aziz jumps to block shots and it puts him out of position for a rebound.  I also think our players must do a better job of moving toward the ball and anticipating a long rebound.  Our players seem to be flatfooted when the ball comes off the rim on those long rebounds.

40 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I am seeing us getting beat a lot on the long rebound. Rebounds where a quicker guard like LCJ could in the past swoop in and snag it while the brutes are locked up in battles for position.

In the final minute of the WMU game they had 2 or 3 offensive rebounds that could have spelled disaster.  OTOH, their extending the possession allowed Akron to almost run out the clock for the last shot.  BTW...great poise by Ali, keeping his cool as he dribbled out the clock.  

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

In the final minute of the WMU game they had 2 or 3 offensive rebounds that could have spelled disaster.  OTOH, their extending the possession allowed Akron to almost run out the clock for the last shot.  BTW...great poise by Ali, keeping his cool as he dribbled out the clock.  

I was losing my mind on those.  On the one, the guy just waltzed around Ali and got the board.

I'm all out of "likes" guys so let me just say that I agree that rebounding is a cause for concern. And I have been in love with the quickness of Freeman from day one. He's so quick I was surprised he got caught tipping the ball in while hanging on the rim. Ha!! One last comment, I wonder how much fatigue is a factor with us being slow to the ball. We are running a short rotation these days.

Edited by Illini Zip

50 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I was losing my mind on those.  On the one, the guy just waltzed around Ali and got the board.

I was the same way on that one. It almost looked like the Zips thought it was going to be a shot clock violation ad stopped playing. Strange. Sometimes its better to be lucky and good.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I was the same way on that one. It almost looked like the Zips thought it was going to be a shot clock violation ad stopped playing. Strange. Sometimes its better to be lucky and good.  

I am certain I loudly exclaimed what Ralphie in Christmas Story referred to as "THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"  Fortunately, I was home alone.

• Haha 1