The World of College Football

GP1

1 hour ago, ZipCat said:

True...but neither does the Non-SEC/BIG teams making their own separate conference. 

Sure it does. There is a massive frustration among college athletics fans regarding the state of college athletics. Fans want geographically-friendly conferences, traditional rivalries, and a relatively level playing field. Build that and your product will sell. Greedy corporate assholes are leading college athletics down the wrong path solely to line their own pockets. Let the Big Ten and SEC eat themselves. Dare to be different. 

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Sure it does. There is a massive frustration among college athletics fans regarding the state of college athletics. Fans want geographically-friendly conferences, traditional rivalries, and a relatively level playing field. Build that and your product will sell. Greedy corporate assholes are leading college athletics down the wrong path solely to line their own pockets. Let the Big Ten and SEC eat themselves. Dare to be different. 

College athletics should benefit five things: the athletes students alumni fans and general communities around the schools.  

I fall into the fan and alumni categories. Give me a competitive game that lasts less than 3.25 hours at a time on Saturday that is convenient for me to go to the game and have a dinner at 7 PM somewhere in Akron. 

Also, give away tickets to the taxpayers of Ohio. They are paying for it, they should get to attend a game or two for free. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, egregiousbob said:

Taxpayers don't pay for athletics in Ohio.  The funds come from student fees, ticket revenue, sponsorships and donations. They do not pay for on-campus sporting facilities either. The scoreboard has zero taxpayer money behind it.

Roughly 90% of the students au UofA are from Ohio. I don't care how they shuffle the money around, the taxpayers of Ohio are paying for it. 

14 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Somebody's lining pockets at Ohio State I guess, one of the richest if not the richest program in the country. It was announced yesterday that the OSU athletic department is 10 million in the red.  How the hell does that happen? Poor OSU...how will they survive? 🙄

OSU is the richest program in the country. Last year's revenues were at 276 M, 6M higher than Texas. I doubt anyone at OSU is lining their pockets. The deficit is only because OSU has continued on a facilities upgrade for all programs. Recently Tennis, field hockey, gymnastics, wrestling/volleyball and softball got new venues. Construction has begun on a new ice hockey arena with future plans for soccer. All of these projects have been self-funded which accounts for the deficit. I do not like OSU, but I appreciate how they run athletics. BTW, this academic year saw over 800 athletes (from 37 varsity sports, more than any school in the country) achieve a GPA of over 3.0. This monster is unbelievable in the money they bring in and spend. 

3 hours ago, egregiousbob said:

So based on this alleged "shell game," you want to give every Ohio taxpayer free tickets to UA games.  Got it. That'll solve the fiscal crisis.

The crisis will exist regardless. It's never ending. I just want to give the taxpayers four general admission tickets to two MAC sporting events a year. It's the least the state could give them for their support of the Ohio public university system. If done properly a school could showcase the athletes students alumni fans and general communities around their schools to people who might be unfamiliar. I'm not sure who loses in this scenario.  

3 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

It was announced yesterday that the OSU athletic department is 10 million in the red.  How the hell does that happen. 🙄

I'm assuming one of my past predictions is coming true...  There are probably solid gold urinals being installed in some athletics program right now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

And yet the fans refused to show up to those things. Akron and Kent have the closest Rivalry in all of the NCAA Divison-1 and those stadiums still sit 1/4 full on gameday. 

2 hours ago, ZipCat said:

And yet the fans refused to show up to those things. Akron and Kent have the closest Rivalry in all of the NCAA Divison-1 and those stadiums still sit 1/4 full on gameday. 

I don't blame them for not going. If I still lived in Akron, I might never see this rivalry game again because they play during the week. I would only attend the Saturday games. 

• Like 1

Why go to a weeknight game and then drive home and then get up for work the next morning? If you stay home and Akron is way behind you can flip the channel or go to bed.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

Former Akron head coach Jim Tressel was named to the Baldwin Wallace Board of Trustees.