The World of College Football

GP1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:40 AM, Zipmeister said:

Sounds like Akron and the MAC resemble a Rembrandt painting.

Perhaps the MAC should rebrand itself as the Chiaroscuro League.

More like the Mona Lisa. Not a beauty, but a lot of people appreciate it. 

image.png.e7a0d14cb22b80c1b515b60d1c26f9ef.png

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

This is getting a decent amount of press, but he was baited into answering that. What else was he going to say?

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This is getting a decent amount of press, but he was baited into answering that. What else was he going to say?

I agree. The articles make it sound like he went after the "U". The video clip though shows it was little more innocent than that. Now that it is out, there is no sneaking into town. 

Ironically the Hurricane's defensive coordinator Lance Guidry was with the Redhawks when Haywood was the head coach. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, akzipper said:

SMU has no business being in the ACC. I don't get this. Aside from the Dallas market, they bring nothing to the table in any sport. 

It would be like Akron going to the BigTen. 

It's the equivalent of Rutgers to the Big Ten. It was a media market grab. 

SMU going to the ACC opens up a spot in the AAC. Just saying...

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

SMU has no business being in the ACC. I don't get this. Aside from the Dallas market, they bring nothing to the table in any sport.

We are witnessing the death throws of independent conferences at the highest level. Teams are looking for landing spots. Within 10 years, there will be one super conference, run by one commissioner who is charged with gobbling up as much money as possible for the member schools. 

It is reported SMU gave up all rights to ACC TV revenue for 9 years. Stanford and Cal are only getting 30% of the total. Basically, these schools needed a place on the bus for when a super conference becomes reality. 

I'm hoping Wake Forest can trade games against Clemson, FSU and Miami for SMU, Stanford and Cal. Wake Forest fans love games against institutions they believe are equal in academic standards to theirs, in the hope of winning. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It's the equivalent of Rutgers to the Big Ten. It was a media market grab. 

SMU going to the ACC opens up a spot in the AAC. Just saying...

Literally our only option to get out of the MAC. But that will never happen. For some reason UA is completely content being in the worst FBS conference. 

51 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Literally our only option to get out of the MAC. But that will never happen. For some reason UA is completely content being in the worst FBS conference. 

To get out you have to have somebody want you and we all know that football is usually the driver for those moves. This football has been in the dumps for a long time with nothing to offer. In addition, most MAC schools don’t have big budgets so geographically it makes a lot of sense as well.

18 minutes ago, GP1 said:

This won't succeed, and it's not where it's going. Eventually, I do see the Big Ten and SEC going to 20 teams, but they need the ACC, Big 12, AAC, and Mountain West at least. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This won't succeed, and it's not where it's going. Eventually, I do see the Big Ten and SEC going to 20 teams, but they need the ACC, Big 12, AAC, and Mountain West at least. 

Depends on how you define success. Success and failure in college athletics is now defined in terms of dollars. Television executives and their willing dupes, athletic directors, could easily make this happen. Not only will it happen, under the current definition, it will be wildly successful. Americans love the NFL and it's business model. All colleges will do is duplicate it. It's about 10 years away. 

Edited by GP1

52 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Depends on how you define success. Success and failure in college athletics is now defined in terms of dollars. Television executives and their willing dupes, athletic directors, could easily make this happen. Not only will it happen, under the current definition, it will be wildly successful. Americans love the NFL and it's business model. All colleges will do is duplicate it. It's about 10 years away. 

If your theory comes true, it'll be fatal for the 40 schools and networks that go into business together.

7 hours ago, MangoZip said:

To get out you have to have somebody want you and we all know that football is usually the driver for those moves. This football has been in the dumps for a long time with nothing to offer. In addition, most MAC schools don’t have big budgets so geographically it makes a lot of sense as well.

I mean SMU hasn't even sniffed an AAC championship since they joined the conference. They've had some winning records overall but hovered around .500 in conference play. I'm assuming they do have more money and better attendance numbers than UA. Because basically every school does, especially those in better climates. It also helps that they get to play bigger schools on a regular basis as opposed to the sorry MAC schedule. I'm not sure if Memphis, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, etc would bring more people to InfoCision. But it sure as hell sounds more exciting than directional Michigan schools. Unfortunately we'll never see it.