The World of College Football

GP1

35 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

ULM's last winning season was 2012 and before that 1993. Probably doomed from the start. 

Notable alumni: Tim McGraw, Willie Robertson (Duck Dynasty), and Doug Pederson (Jaguars Head Coach)

Not sure I've seen any of them promote ULM, and Willie Robertson actually promoted LSU more so in the show. Doesn't bode well when some pretty famous alumni don't promote the program. 

Yes he needs to ride off into the sunset. In all honesty he gave us our best years in FBS. IDK if he burned out, got tired, or just lost “it” in his last couple years here.

I sincerely hope he enjoys retirement.

Edited by Spin

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA just “temporarily” reversed course on the one time transfer rule, allowing multiple transfers. Welcome to free agency sans a salary cap. NCAA was a mess before, but now the courts have almost stripped them of authority. Many “amateur” athletes will make more at the college level than as a pro. I expect a pendulum swing to happen at some point, but it’s about to get wild.

Edited by catdaddyp

15 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

NCAA just “temporarily” reversed course on the one time transfer rule, allowing multiple transfers. Welcome to free agency sans a salary cap. NCAA was a mess before, but now the courts have almost stripped them of authority. Many “amateur” athletes will make more at the college level than as a pro. I expect a pendulum swing to happen at some point, but it’s about to get wild.

I'd bet in the 1950s there were some college football players making more money than NFL players. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I'd bet in the 1950s there were some college football players making more money than NFL players. 

I have letter to my father from one of his highschool classmates in the early 1950's. The friend was bemoaning the fact that the University of Tennessee (where he was an all american football player) basketball coach wanted him to play that sport too. The problem.was they only wanted to pay him half of what the football team was paying for his services. 🫠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'd be excited to watch the upper echelon P5 decide who the fat is among the P5s and trim it off. The Vandys, Boston Colleges, etc., of the world are gonna be joining us when the inevitable split occurs. 

I think conference realignment is settled. Nobody would get bumped off unless they wanted to bolt, which should be an option. The current P5 schools should go on their way. College football won't be able to withstand the current level of instability for many more years. 

I have a general question about NCAA D1 sports (specifically football) and acadmeic rules.  I heard several years ago from an Ohio State walk-on (who made the team) that scholarship D1 football players only take one actual academic class during fall semester and that the remainder of thier schedule is a multi-credit course called "Varsity athletics" (or something similar) to assure that they are full-time students.  Then they would take a regular load of classes in the spring and summer sessions.  Is there any truth to this? 

On 12/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, GP1 said:

I think conference realignment is settled. Nobody would get bumped off unless they wanted to bolt, which should be an option. The current P5 schools should go on their way. College football won't be able to withstand the current level of instability for many more years. 

FSU and Clemson wants more of the cake in the ACC because they baked more of the cake. Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU are the Big Ten. Bama and Georgia are the SEC. In its current state, the Vandy's, Rutgers, Boston Colleges of the world are going to get axed so that Ohio State, Bama, Florida State, etc., can make more money.

I just watched Chip Kelly on the Pat McAfee Show explain his idea. I thought it was more of a P5 divide, but it's actually a protection for all 130+ FBS DI programs. He talks about adopting a NFL-style format with multiple divisions of 8+ teams across the country. The divisions would rotate schedules like the NFL does, and TV rights would be sold for College Football, with branding for divisions such as Amazon, Nike, etc., for more revenue generation. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

7 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

I have a general question about NCAA D1 sports (specifically football) and acadmeic rules.  I heard several years ago from an Ohio State walk-on (who made the team) that scholarship D1 football players only take one actual academic class during fall semester and that the remainder of thier schedule is a multi-credit course called "Varsity athletics" (or something similar) to assure that they are full-time students.  Then they would take a regular load of classes in the spring and summer sessions.  Is there any truth to this? 

That is totally false 

7 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

A relative played D2 football. He told me he played 4 years and only got one credit for playing 

9 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

I have one academic credit on my undergraduate record called Varsity Football. I got an A.