2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

24 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

They were getting hammered and got it down to 5 late. Then I can’t really even describe what I saw after that. 

No one shot it well, but they kept within striking distance after getting blitzed 21-10 in the 1Q 🙄. Gotta win on Saturday at Mt. Pleasant to avoid a bunch of tiebreakers. No excuses for losing to 3-14 CMU. I'm gonna guess that if Buffalo loses to Western, they would be in. They beat EMU twice and split with Buffalo. Not sure what tiebreakers come after that.

Edited by ewbrooman1

8 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

No one shot it well, but they kept within striking distance after getting blitzed 21-10 in the 1Q 🙄. Gotta win on Saturday at Mt. Pleasant to avoid a bunch of tiebreakers. No excuses for losing to 3-14 CMU. I'm gonna guess that if Buffalo loses to Western, they would be in. They beat EMU twice and split with Buffalo. Not sure what tiebreakers come after that.

http://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=wbb. this also works for the women's bracket.

clear as mud.

20 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Here's the latest. Not sure how Zips are seeded ahead of WMU when they have the same record and Zips lost at Kalamazoo. 🤔 

20230301_224823.jpg

when multiple teams have the same record they do a "round robin" between all of them.  who had the best record of the three against the other two.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 4:05 PM, 72 Roo said:

I also thought our team was lucky to have a true point when Camp came in. It didn't take much time to see that discipline was not her strong suit. As the season went on she played more and more out of control and her TO's mounted up. MJ was faced with a huge dilemma, play Camp and tolerate her or turn to Thorpe, who proved to be Inadequate for D1 play. I wish the staff could have coached up both of them but we all see how that has gone. Neither seemed capable of improving.

I'm a long-time season ticket holder to FB and MBB but had never gone to WBB games in the past.  My daughter is now playing travel ball, so we went to 4 or 5 WBB games.  I was amazed that Camp as a Sr. point guard could be so out of control and so sloppy with the ball.  Not only the TO's but the pull up jumpers with no rebounders in place, lazy defense in transition and the inability to make good crisp passes drove me crazy.  The poor, poor point guard play with no consistent scoring from the 2 guard really killed any chance to have what could have been a really good season.  It wasted the talent of the 4 quality bigs on the roster. 

I do not have enough knowledge or insight to say if it was a good or bad move to let the coach go, but with a slightly over .500 career record, losing 4 starters and having an AD that did not hire her, the writing was on the wall.  Getting housed by 40 plus at Can't did not help.

Hopefully they can get hot at the right time and make some noise in the MACC.  Go Zips!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

it's paywalled.  anyone have a summary?  although, I can see from the headline this appears to be only an allegation that the ABJ stuck on front page.

22 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

it's paywalled.  anyone have a summary?  although, I can see from the headline this appears to be only an allegation that the ABJ stuck on front page.

Did the ABJ place that on the front page?!? 🤬  Yeah, it's an allegation which was investigated & didn't find anything. Article didn't say who made the allegation or what it was. Whatever it was, it obviously wasn't serious enough to cause coach Jackson to miss any time on the sideline. It's bad publicity for UA, which causes the ABJ to salivate. 🙄🤬

48 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Summary- nobody can tell anybody about anything due to privacy rules.  It's essentially an article with no info.  A former player filed a complaint about Melissa.  This pretty well sums it up-  “Because the investigation has been closed, there are no findings.”   They closed it because she's done today so they didn't see the need.  She sees it as vindication.

39 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Did the ABJ place that on the front page?!? 🤬  Yeah, it's an allegation which was investigated & didn't find anything. Article didn't say who made the allegation or what it was. Whatever it was, it obviously wasn't serious enough to cause coach Jackson to miss any time on the sideline. It's bad publicity for UA, which causes the ABJ to salivate. 🙄🤬

Bad publicity for the entire city causes them to salivate.  When u open the beacon website...not a front page pic of Kent's team or God help us Sincere Carry.  Instead a fired basketball coach accused of something that we really don't know what it is.  Who coached a program they barely covered.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Bad publicity for the entire city causes them to salivate.  When u open the beacon website...not a front page pic of Kent's team or God help us Sincere Carry.  Instead a fired basketball coach accused of something that we really don't know what it is.  Who coached a program they barely covered.

It's because scandals and gossip generate clicks, not feel good stories. This is why so much media has turned into TMZ instead of actual reporting.

24 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's because scandals and gossip generate clicks, not feel good stories. This is why so much media has turned into TMZ instead of actual reporting.

100%.  A freelance reporter recently told me the ABJ is now paying based on where the article is placed in the paper.  I don't know if that is true, but it would explain why they focus on written-version click-bait instead of actual reporting.  I cannot believe how bad that rag is.  It's embarrassing.

35 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Women rally 21-8 in 4Q to beat CMU 61-54. Probably not the first time a bad CMU team has failed to close this year, but credit to the Zips for coming back on the road.

very happy for Jackson and the program.  Looks like a 6th seed and a date with Ball State.  Winning those early games over the garbage teams paid off in the tiebreakers.

I guess they could drop to 7 if Western beats Buffalo

Edited by NWAkron

On 3/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Summary- nobody can tell anybody about anything due to privacy rules.  It's essentially an article with no info.  A former player filed a complaint about Melissa.  This pretty well sums it up-  “Because the investigation has been closed, there are no findings.”   They closed it because she's done today so they didn't see the need.  She sees it as vindication.

Not to go all conspiracy theorist on this, but, could something from the Athletic Department been "leaked" to George to deflect from all the bad PR it got by "not renewing" MJ?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

Not to go all conspiracy theorist on this, but, could something from the Athletic Department been "leaked" to George to deflect from all the bad PR it got by "not renewing" MJ?

While possible, I don't see that as likely. And while this move has been bad PR in a post's Facebook comments, I think there is a fairly decent understanding from the people that matter, whether they agree with the move or not. One thing has stuck out through this whole thing--a former player and her family vocally being anti-Jackson, which is not something we have seen anywhere.

Full disclosure on my end--while I am disappointed coach Jackson hasn't been able to build Akron like I believe she was capable, and I do in fact support the decision to move in a different direction, to suggest anything other than running a good and clean program and environment would go against anything I have ever heard. That's not to see it's impossible that something not so great happened, I just find it extremely unlikely. 

The player whose family I have seen openly criticize Jackson transferred out after last year and wound up leaving the team she ended up going to. I hesitate to name names, but it's pretty obvious who it is. No player is named in this "investigation," but I would be shocked if it wasn't from this player. Stupid stuff. And shame on the ABJ for finally covering the Jackson tenure and giving it a bad look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zippy-claws said:

What bad P.R?  this was a mere blip in the media...if that.