2023-2024 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

19 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I watched the women at OU. Without Haney we are pathetic at PG. Woods is a turnover machine. She doesn't run the point as much as she dribbles hoping something will surface. She repeatedly went into the paint only to be blocked or lose the ball. Bass is incredible, far better than the rest of the team. I thought coach Ryan had recruited a few good D1 players to support Bass. Mobley is a good, young addition, but that is not the case with the rest of the newbies, except Haney. I hope during the course of the season he can put a  more cohesive team out. Against OU they looked lost w/o Haney. 

I think Haney's been pretty disappointing so far. She's only shooting about 31% from the field. Not good for a scorer. I've been hoping she'll find her shot, but it hasn't happened yet. She had some bad misses tonight and never got in the game after a bad miss on a breakaway layup in the 4Q. I hope she comes around soon. They really needed another scorer tonight. 

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

Lady Zips may get robbed of a victory over 11-2 Ball State from some absolutely horrible officiating down the stretch.

Officiating crew from H*^!.  Game totally out of control.  But impressed Zips stayed in it against that swarming defense.  Ball State traveling fans easily most obnoxious I've encountered.  Two loud mouth old men were a constant Greek Chorus,  coaching, officiating, complaining.   

That 4 foul rule per period bit Zips badly as they had Ball game tied with 10 seconds left and cards went cheap foul every 2 seconds and Zips couldn't get a shot or FT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

CMU has only won one game this year but I thought they looked pretty tough.  I hope it wasn't just us making them look good. Lenae Riley had a good game. Seems like she's beginning to come on.

Looking back at their schedule, their losses have been respectable (within 10 or less) except for three blowouts. One to Michigan State and one to Cleveland State. Maybe that's their stage of development now. Respectable losses. I think the Zips let down a little after the Ball State game, though. 

• Like 2

Obviously a discouraging start to conference play, even worse considering how bad the MAC is this year. I found it interesting that the MACs Conference NET ranking is 22 out of 32 Division I conferences this season. 

2022-23 was 14
2021-22 was 11
2020-21 was 10. 

A rivalry win would be a nice confidence boost, but even more importantly, showing improvement and growth over the next month where there are several winnable games should be seen. 

Is this the much needed change the program needed? I’m just glad we’re not “middle of the road” anymore, playing in Cleveland in March, and recruiting multiple MAC Player of the Years. Good thing Reagan likes engineering classes. Chuck Guthrie holds the program to a higher standard. Now excuse me, I’ll get back to monitoring the football transfer portal. We’re just one DB away from adding a second win in the MAC next year.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Copley Don said:

Is this the much needed change the program needed? I’m just glad we’re not “middle of the road” anymore, playing in Cleveland in March, and recruiting multiple MAC Player of the Years. Good thing Reagan likes engineering classes. Chuck Guthrie holds the program to a higher standard. Now excuse me, I’ll get back to monitoring the football transfer portal. We’re just one DB away from adding a second win in the MAC next year.

Still on track to finish with the same amount of wins over winning MAC teams as last year! With a far less experienced roster to boot. 

That’s quite a bizarre way to frame something. So you like more losses against non “winning” MAC teams. Got it. I wouldn’t consider last place in the MAC as progress. The teams that are above you in the standings get to play in Cleveland in March, FYI. 

Edited by Copley Don
Mispelling