What is your concern level?

2 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Maybe his wording wasn't great (I don't remember the exact quote) but at the time he was 100% correct that the A-10 historically had much better odds of teams getting selected for at-large bids than the MAC. Even in our best conference years, we're always a one-bid league. It's been BS some years, but it's been reality.

Yes, there is actually a path to get at-large bid in the A10 unlike the MAC. That said, at-large bids are still given to teams, not conferences. Those Akron teams he coached weren't talented enough to get at-large bids even if they played in the A10.

This isn't me trying to take a shot at Dambrot, but I feel he underestimated how much more he needed to improve his recruiting to contend in the A10 and be in line to receive one of those at large bids. It's easier right now to win the MAC than it is to finish in 2nd or 3rd place in the A10.

Edited by kreed5120

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, there is actually a path to get at-large bid in the A10 unlike the MAC. That said, at-large bids are still given to teams, not conferences. Those Akron teams he coached weren't talented enough to get at-large bids even if they played in the A10.

This isn't me trying to take a shot at Dambrot, but I feel he underestimated how much more he needed to improve his recruiting to contend in the A10 and be in line to receive one of those at large bids. It's easier right now to win the MAC than it is to finish in 2nd or 3rd place in the A10.

I agree with you post 98%. I would change “right now” to “for the past 25 years…”

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I honestly think loosened transfer rules have hurt him quite a bit and are what will probably lead him to retire after this year. KD is notoriously tough on his players and pushes them quite a bit. Eventually, the players see it's because he's pushing them to be better players, but sometimes younger guys can miss that. I believe Romeo Travis even said he thought about transferring at one point. In an era where you basically need to re-recruit every kid every year, I just don't know that his "tough love" approach can be successful.

Edited by Zippy87

3 hours ago, Franch1se said:

If Groce left I think KD would be interested in coming home. 

He's already 65 and was pretty vocal when he was at Akron that he never planned to coach into his upper 60, 70s. I feel his intention was to always retire around 65.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

He's in his last contracted year at Duquesne, right? I think retirement is imminent.

I hope he will be a major proponent of the U of A.

He is a fighter.

Yes, he's in the final year of his contract. Would not be surprised at all to see him to return to UA in some capacity, but not as a coach. 

16 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Yes, he's in the final year of his contract. Would not be surprised at all to see him to return to UA in some capacity, but not as a coach. 

What could he possibly do? He'll be 67 years old. 

Maybe he'd serve some purpose as a Coach Emeritus on Groce's staff? No way he could handle being an AD. 

Where I work, you're done at 70. Put on an iceberg and pushed out to sea.

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Maybe he'd serve some purpose as a Coach Emeritus on Groce's staff? No way he could handle being an AD. 

Outside of joining some board or being consulted in a coaching search, if something opens up, I agree.

17 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Not sure exactly, but I've always heard he still has a great relationship with UA and Groce. Could even create a position for him.

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If I'm still working at 70, everyone has permission to put a bullet in my head. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 12:55 PM, Westie said:

This season is great and will continue to be great. Love this team.

Given that, how worried are you that Groce will head for a bigger program on the heels of a 25- to 27-win season? Holtmann is almost certainly out at Ohio State and there will be other vacancies no doubt. Michigan is dreadful too. 

Would hate to see him go but ….

I think we are safe that Groce will be staying at Akron.

• Like 2