2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They have played 4 times and Kent is 1-3 against them, at least according to Kent's website. Then again we all know how much Kent struggles with numbers.

The last time Saint Mary's played at Kent was 2008. That was before they established themselves as one of the premier mid-major programs in the country. It's certainly a golden opportunity to add a quality win, but I don't expect them making a return trip to Akron next year. The reality is Akron needs to elevate ourselves to Saint Mary's level before we start getting schools like St. Mary's to agree to come to Akron. We're not that far off, but we need to be more consistent and find ways of beating programs like UCLA, Utah State, and UNLV instead of choking of just hanging around and narrowing losing.

KSU wins at St. Mary's came (1) in BracketBusters vs. Patty Mills (I think that was his name) ... which says how long ago that was ... and (2) the other was in the NIT against a team with former Cav Dellavadova at PG.

Can't remember who played for Kent in those games. St. Mary's is clearly a better program now, but even then, they were second only to Gonzaga in their conference and clearly had NBA talent on their teams..

2 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

KSU wins at St. Mary's came (1) in BracketBusters vs. Patty Mills (I think that was his name) ... which says how long ago that was ... and (2) the other was in the NIT against a team with former Cav Dellavadova at PG.

Can't remember who played for Kent in those games. St. Mary's is clearly a better program now, but even then, they were second only to Gonzaga in their conference and clearly had NBA talent on their teams..

Yes, that's kind of when they were just establishing themselves as a premier mid-major. What separates a program like St. Mary's from a George Mason or Middle Tennessee is that St. Mary's has shown they aren't a flash in the pan.

This also brings me to the point of how much I miss BracketBusters.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, that's kind of when they were just establishing themselves as a premier mid-major. What separates a program like St. Mary's from a George Mason or Middle Tennessee is that St. Mary's has shown they aren't a flash in the pan.

This also brings me to the point of how much I miss BracketBusters.

Ditto on Bracketbusters ... Zips had some great BB matchups that were exciting games. A check back on the Kent-SM Bracketbuster ... it was the last (midnight) game (many Bracketbuster games were televised) of the night, and I believe (chk. me on this) Kent became nationally-ranked for the blink of an eye after the win.

Still can't remember who was on that team. Can't find a box score.

Im really shocked we haven’t officially announced our MTE yet. I’ve heard that we are hosting one (meaning 3 teams come to Akron and basically round robin) but that was so long ago I’m wondering if that fell through. 

D1 Docket has a few games for us that are down in El Paso so im wondering if that is where we are going? 

Wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

4 hours ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

Im really shocked we haven’t officially announced our MTE yet. I’ve heard that we are hosting one (meaning 3 teams come to Akron and basically round robin) but that was so long ago I’m wondering if that fell through. 

D1 Docket has a few games for us that are down in El Paso so im wondering if that is where we are going? 

That sounds great & something similar to what I’ve been advocating for on here for a while (an Akron & KSUcks round robin weekend tourney).

Probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by “MTE?”

5 hours ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

We've played in the UTEP tournament 5 or so years back and that didn't count as our mid-season tournament exemption.

• Like 1

Who is everyone most excited player to watch? Also who do you think will be the fan favorite by the end of the season 

for me I am most excited to Sharron Young. I think the fan favorite will be Nate Johnson 

Edited by ZipsFan31

1 hour ago, ZipsFan31 said:

Who is everyone most excited player to watch? Also who do you think will be the fan favorite by the end of the season 

for me I am most excited to Sharron Young. I think the fan favorite will be Nate Johnson 

Sharron Young is who I'm most eager to see. Fan favorite will be Harris.

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Player I most want to see - A healthy, next-level Nate Johnson. 

Fan favorite - Evan “We Want” Wilson

We've had a whole host of guys take that big step as a Zip -

Conyers

Ibitayo

Ivey

Etc 

I think he could be next. Hoping Tavari makes a leap as well 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ZipsFan31 said:

Okonkwo for me!!

22 hours ago, ZipsFan31 said:

I think this is a great question and yet I can't decide. I am very interested to see what M-K brings to the table as a freshman. Also, I'm curious to see how Groce decides to use Okonkwo on offense. But the fan favorite will be the guard play and who ever hits the most 3 pointers.

On 7/9/2024 at 8:48 PM, ZipsFan31 said:

I'm most excited to see our transfer players, but of them all I'm probably most excited to see Josiah Harris. I think the fan favorite by season's end... keeping my finger crossed... will be Nate Johnson. If Nate is the fan favorite it'll mean he's taken that leap most of us are hoping for and we all know he's capable of.

I'm keeping my expectations curbed for true freshman PG Sharron Young. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than underwhelmed. I know he'll be a good one, but asking a true freshman to run the show is a big ask.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm just not as sold on Young as some of you are. That's not to say he won't be a great player. It's just my expectations for him year 1 are tempered. I think Harris has the highest ceiling potential for next season.

I was very high on Young ... until Groce brought in the PG from Cornell. IMO He had some other nice major offers where he would have played but likely started on the bench. Doubt Groce got him to come to Akron to start on the bench, no matter how sweet the NIL.

Still think Young is a stud, but likely not this year. Remember, it has taken most PGs in Groce's system at least a season before they truly started to shine.

• Like 1

Seems like we will travel to UTEP for a mid season MTE (multi team event). I assume that is when we are playing Yale due to it being in that date range. We will head to Wisconsin for a game in between NKU and that tourney it also looks like via D1D

One of the better OOC schedule I’ve seen us cook up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2024 at 4:07 PM, RoyalBlu said:

So do we. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 6:29 PM, RoyalBlu said:

I was very high on Young ... until Groce brought in the PG from Cornell. IMO He had some other nice major offers where he would have played but likely started on the bench. Doubt Groce got him to come to Akron to start on the bench, no matter how sweet the NIL.

Still think Young is a stud, but likely not this year. Remember, it has taken most PGs in Groce's system at least a season before they truly started to shine.

I totally agree Young is probably not going to get the start At the start of the season. What I am excited to see is: is he as good as social media has hyped him up to be. 
starting line up

Gray

Wilson

Nate Johnson

Harris

Okonkwo

with Young battling Travi for back up PG 

• Like 2