2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

nOtHiNg Is GiVeN. eVeRyThInG iS eArNeD.

"In Northeast Ohio..." They bailed a long time ago for the sunshine and bright lights of LA.

I definitely think he'll be the highest drafted athlete ever who only selected because of who his father is. But as long as he doesn't end up playing for the Suckeyes or god forbid the Dukes I'm happy. 

39 minutes ago, akzipper said:

"In Northeast Ohio..." They bailed a long time ago for the sunshine and bright lights of LA.

I definitely think he'll be the highest drafted athlete ever who only selected because of who his father is. But as long as he doesn't end up playing for the Suckeyes or god forbid the Dukes I'm happy. 

Those Diddy parties are better than Northeast Ohio parties for him I guess. 

"Just a Kid from Akron"

I do hope Bronny goes to the NBA so I can tune him out like I do the rest of the NBA and just focus on real basketball - college ball. 

I suspect Bronny is entering the draft for the purposes of getting a full evaluation of his game.  I do wonder though if he'll get an honest assessment.  My assessment- very good perimeter defender but otherwise not an NBA talent, at least yet.  To his credit, his recovery from the cardiac event is impressive and he's done a great job of dealing with the pressures of being Bronny since he was a kid.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Calipari to Arkansas.

Wow.

That was not on my off-season Bingo card.

Makes me wonder when the NCAA investigation of Kentucky basketball will become known.  LOL.  He's really good at bailing right before the storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Makes me wonder when the NCAA investigation of Kentucky basketball will become known.  LOL.  He's really good at bailing right before the storm.

If I was him, I'd bolt too. Why stay where I'm not appreciated? He's made 7 Elite 8 and won 1 national title. If he does that at Arkansas, he'll get a statue and be a legend. Meanwhile, Kentucky fans want him fired. 

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If I was him, I'd bolt too. Why stay where I'm not appreciated? He's made 7 Elite 8 and won 1 national title. If he does that at Arkansas, he'll get a statue and be a legend. Meanwhile, Kentucky fans want him fired. 

Agreed.  They have 8 national championships since 1948 but expect one every year.

22 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

1 tournament win since 2019 doesn't get you too far at UK

Two of those seasons were impacted by covid. One was a canceled postseason. The other a shortened and a sh**-show of a season with players missing weeks at a time from covid. It's really 1 win in 3 years, which admittedly is bad for Kentucky, but not bad enough to be fired given that he had Kentucky perennially in the Elite 8 up until covid happened. 

Buckeye fans are similarly delusional calling for Ryan Days job even though he consistently has the Buckeyes in the top 6-7 every year. 

I'm not sure that in the day of portal, the new transfer rules, NIL, etc. Calipari's Kentucky formula works any more.  I heard him in an interview a while back talking about how when Dajuan Wagner and his parents came to him after his freshman season to tell him he was going to come back for his sophomore year.  Calipari knew John Lucas and the Cavs were going to take him early if he declared and he told the Wagners he should not come and take the money and he tore up his contract documents right in front of them.  Wagner than went on the Cavs and experienced the intestinal issues that ended his short career.  That's Calipari's experiential basis to push kids to leave early when they can.  He uses that same philosophy to draw kids with promises they can move on quickly to the pros.  As a result, he's now sending inexperienced 18 and 19 year olds onto the court to face experienced men some of who are now 23 and 24 years old and he has not adjusted.  That adjustment may now happen at Arkansas.

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm not sure that in the day of portal, the new transfer rules, NIL, etc. Calipari's Kentucky formula works any more.  I heard him in an interview a while back talking about how when Dajuan Wagner and his parents came to him after his freshman season to tell him he was going to come back for his sophomore year.  Calipari knew John Lucas and the Cavs were going to take him early if he declared and he told the Wagners he should not come and take the money and he tore up his contract documents right in front of them.  Wagner than went on the Cavs and experienced the intestinal issues that ended his short career.  That's Calipari's experiential basis to push kids to leave early when they can.  He uses that same philosophy to draw kids with promises they can move on quickly to the pros.  As a result, he's now sending inexperienced 18 and 19 year olds onto the court to face experienced men some of who are now 23 and 24 years old and he has not adjusted.  That adjustment may now happen at Arkansas.

I'm by no means a Calipari stan. I'm more just tired of the entitlement you see places by fans. I feel Calipari will be fine at Arkansas. The Tyson family (chicken), who are big boosters at Akransas and friends with Calipari, are paying his salary and giving him $6 million in NIL annually to play with. I don't think he's going to achieve more at Arkansas than he did Kentucky. I just feel the fans in Arkansas will appreciate it unlike Kentucky.

• Like 2

appreciate what? you're now talking almost 10 years since a final 4, that just doesn't really fly at a Kentucky, Duke, UNC blue blood. 1 tourney win since 2019 - Arkansas might be happy with those results, but that'll never be good enough for a top tier blue blood who is paying the highest salary in CBB for those results.

13 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Calipari to Arkansas.

Wow.

That was not on my off-season Bingo card.

Big hire for former UA AD Hunter Yurachek.

Letting him walk after Rhoades left was a huge mistake. Obviously he'd have moved on from UA at some point, but he'd have stayed here for a several years and done some great things.  

• Like 6

Just now, kreed5120 said:

It's Canisius, the options were probably Christian or some no name assistant.

Considering Reggie Witherspoon (former Buffalo coach) is who Jim is replacing, you're not wrong.

But who is gonna hold Pinky's leash now?

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Considering Reggie Witherspoon (former Buffalo coach) is who Jim is replacing, you're not wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr. Pinky also lose his associate head coach Julian Sullinger with his nephew Jaylen Sullinger jumping ship in the portal.

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He's going to have to invest in some stress balls.

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Thanks to CBS and the NCAA for scheduling the national championship at 9:20 p.m. ET on a weeknight.

Sounds like the same guys negotiated this that arranged the MAC weeknight football schedule.

Agree. 8:20 CT is still too late for me. 

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Big hire for former UA AD Hunter Yurachek.

Letting him walk after Rhoades left was a huge mistake. Obviously he'd have moved on from UA at some point, but he'd have stayed here for a several years and done some great things.  

• Haha 1