2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

32 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

I totally agree Josiah Harris will be playing the 4 and we will be guard oriented. 

affer watching a mixtape from Hardman highschool days he is a spot up shooter not a shot creator. Think Kyle korver not Luka Dončić. Good depth add but I would not assume he starts. It is never a bad thing to have a sniper in your arsenal as a coach. Let’s hope the few bigs we have can keep us afloat down low. 

Were it not for a skinny kid nobody knew wandering into open tryouts a half decade ago the Zips transition to a guard heavy offense may have started much earlier!

1 hour ago, ZipsFan31 said:

I totally agree Josiah Harris will be playing the 4 and we will be guard oriented. 

affer watching a mixtape from Hardman highschool days he is a spot up shooter not a shot creator. Think Kyle korver not Luka Dončić. Good depth add but I would not assume he starts. It is never a bad thing to have a sniper in your arsenal as a coach. Let’s hope the few bigs we have can keep us afloat down low. 

I would certainly agree with this. He's your 7th man that provides a big offensive boost when you need it. Our Jack Gholke.

Still a lot of players in the Portal, but we're #11 after our terrific class. 

Dru has done well in the past week. Good for him. 

Something interesting. Akron is 1 spot behind Indiana, who spent well north of $1M in NIL. 

• Like 1

I still think there is value in recruiting high school players. Even if there is less of a priority compared to previous years. At the end of the day there is still a finite amount of NIL money that we can spend and we can only promise so many transfers playing time. I also think the caliber of incoming freshmen that we can attract becomes greater as more and more P6 programs specifically look to recruit transfers instead of high school recruits. Therefore high school players that previously were playing in the Big 10 or Big East are now going to find their way into conferences like the MAC or MVC.

The reality is no program is running a 13 man rotation. Spending 2-3 of those 13 scholarships looking for your next Enrique Freeman, Ali, Tribble, etc IMO is worth it. It also allows you to build relationships that way you can recruit those players again in a year or two when they're looking to transfer again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

He's from Chicago so probably just wanted to be closer to home

…but we are talking about Western Illinois. Not only are they bad, in a bad conference, they’re not exactly next door to Chicago. SMH.