Kwan.....

The Hip Zip

This guy has just impressed the Hell out of me this year. He's matured into the guy that every team needs to be successful. I know that he'd love to be a more vital part of the offense, who wouldn't, but he laces them up every night and does everything he's asked to do, like vital minutes he put in at the 5 spot tonight. He has accepted his role and his contributions to this team on both ends of the floor should not be overlooked because he has been a key component to our success.

• Like 2

I agree!!  Kwan played with a big pair of _____.  He picked up some great defensive boards and had some great blocks.  He did not play much in the first half but I thought he was great defensively in the second half.  This team needed some toughness and he held his own under the basket.  I think he has found his role on this team as a distributor on offense and a rebounder and shot blocker on defense.  I hope to see more of his tough defense at Kent.

• Like 1

Kwan seems like a nice conscientious kid.  I get the sense that he sometimes gets a little too down on himself and you can see it in the look on his face and in his posture, and occasionally in his game.  He seems to be shaking things off a little better lately and his confidence seems to be coming around after his early season struggles.  I'm happy to see him taking on a more diverse role, focusing more on defense and rebounding. 

I don't think that "fire power from the block" is my concern for next year.  We're losing 2 senior wing players who have been playing big roles on this team for 4 years, with often some major scoring contributions, and plenty of intangibles. 

We're going to have a 20 ppg scorer in the paint next year, for the first time in the KD era.  I think Kwan's defense around the basket will therefore be far more valuable than what he can score down there. 

15 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't think that "fire power from the block" is my concern for next year.  We're losing 2 senior wing players who have been playing big roles on this team for 4 years, with often some major scoring contributions, and plenty of intangibles. 

We're going to have a 20 ppg scorer in the paint next year, for the first time in the KD era.  I think Kwan's defense around the basket will therefore be far more valuable than what he can score down there. 

Isaiah is playing phenomenal this season and is only averaging 13. Assuming he will make some gigantic leap to 20 ppg is quite a stretch.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Isaiah is playing phenomenal this season and is only averaging 13. Assuming he will make some gigantic leap to 20 ppg is quite a stretch.

I feel that he will be our first 20 ppg scorer since Keith took over.  Just my estimation, based what I have seen and how he has developed offensively. 

It's not a stretch when you see the way someone is scoring on post defenders in this league, and how much more he'll be relied upon as a primary scorer next season. 

25 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I feel that he will be our first 20 ppg scorer since Keith took over.  Just my estimation, based what I have seen and how he has developed offensively. 

It's not a stretch when you see the way someone is scoring on post defenders in this league, and how much more he'll be relied upon as a primary scorer next season. 

In the KD era, have you ever seen hum rely upon anyone as a primary scorer? Big Dog's got the skills but will he get 30 minutes a night to put up 20+ points?

18 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

In the KD era, have you ever seen hum rely upon anyone as a primary scorer? Big Dog's got the skills but will he get 30 minutes a night to put up 20+ points?

Not to mention we have 3 other capable "primary" scorers coming back next year anyways in Antino, Noah, and Josh. Now if we are talking primary POST scorers, well, Big Dog is already that this year so I wouldn't expect a huge change. I think 15-16 a game is a reasonable estimate if he can continue this level of play into next season. He has made his huge leap this season. I find it hard to believe he would have huge leaps in back to back seasons.

Edited by LZIp

53 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

will he get 30 minutes a night to put up 20+ points?

Great question.  Easy answer. 

Look at the lineup for next year and I think you'd conclude that he'll HAVE to log 30 min. per game when Pat is gone. 

He just logged 34 minutes on Tuesday, and put in a 14/11 performance.  So, why would one question whether he's capable and could be very productive with that much court time?

I think a couple of you are vastly underestimating the potential of a man of that size and strength in this league.  And vastly overestimating the availability of personnel among the other schools in this league to defend someone like that. 

Edited by skip-zip
add

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Great question.  Easy answer. 

Look at the lineup for next year and I think you'd conclude that he'll HAVE to log 30 min. per game when Pat is gone. 

He just logged 34 minutes on Tuesday, and put in a 14/11 performance.  So, why would one question whether he's capable and could be very productive with that much court time?

He got those minutes because Pat was out AND Kwam was only able to play 5 1st half minutes due to foul trouble. In those 34 minutes he finished with 14 points. Akron spreads out its offense too much for me to buy into 1 single player averaging 20 points. If Big Dog was on another MAC offense that had less firepower, I would buy into it.

I'd love Kwan to become an inside presence that can occasionally pop out and test the defense by hitting a mid to long range jumper, rather than being the outside shooter we occasionally see go inside.  He as made some small strides in going inside a little more.

As for Big Dog, I don't see him being a 20 point guy as I don't see KD getting him enough minutes, in part to keep him from breaking down.    

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd love Kwan to become an inside presence that can occasionally pop out and test the defense by hitting a mid to long range jumper, rather than being the outside shooter we occasionally see go inside.  He as made some small strides in going inside a little more.

As for Big Dog, I don't see him being a 20 point guy as I don't see KD getting him enough minutes, in part to keep him from breaking down.    

If anybody emerges next year as a 20ppg guy, and I don't necessarily think it will happen, I would not be surprised if it was Josh Williams. He has definitely started to adjust to the college game already and you hear all the time that the period of most improvement is between your freshman and sophomore years.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

If anybody emerges next year as a 20ppg guy, and I don't necessarily think it will happen, I would not be surprised if it was Josh Williams. He has definitely started to adjust to the college game already and you hear all the time that the period of most improvement is between your freshman and sophomore years.

+1. He certainly seems capable of hitting 2 treys per quarter as a featured shooter.

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:
5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

He got those minutes because Pat was out AND Kwam was only able to play 5 1st half minutes due to foul trouble.

I think you're getting somewhere on your own.  Pat is gone in a few weeks.  And Kwan isn't going to develop into a Center at this point either. 

Consider that Buffalo game as a preview for next season.  Mr. Big Dog is going to be carrying a very heavy load. 

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

If anybody emerges next year as a 20ppg guy, and I don't necessarily think it will happen, I would not be surprised if it was Josh Williams.

I'd agree with you if you look ahead maybe a few years.  But next year, we're loaded with talented and experienced guards.  Although, I do think those guys are going to be taking more shots with Reggie and Jake gone.  I'll hope, along with you, that Josh's 41% 3-point percentage is not just beginner's luck.  I remember McNees going on 3-point streaks as a freshman too. 

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think you're getting somewhere on your own.  Pat is gone in a few weeks.  And Kwan isn't going to develop into a Center at this point either.  

I'd certainly hope we have another big ready to enter the rotation next year otherwise we are an injury away from disaster. It also wouldn't bode well for us the year after since we would lose both Cheatham and Big Dog and have 0 bigs on our roster with playing experience.

• Like 1

We will certainly have more bigs next year....some combination of Agba and Olojakpoke will be redshirt freshmen and then there will be whoever doesn't redshirt from Williams, Hughes, and Davis.

So while we will have more bodies, it presents two things. For one, none of those guys are really true center material (maybe Olojakpoke?) but more like PF's or combo forwards. Big Dog will be the only center on the roster, and we'll be more undersized, but I see this as a trade-off as we'll likely be much quicker and mobile. This puts us more in the mold of recent smaller-conference teams who have had success like VCU, Dayton, Wichita who sacrifice a lot of size for mobility.

The other thing is that we'll be really, really young on the frontcourt. We'll just have to see which newcomers step up.