Miami @ Zips, 2/28/17- Senior Night

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

4/22 = 18.2%

1/5 = 20%

Pretty much the same thing.

Lose your starting QB...lose your starting PG...pretty much the same thing when you have MAC-level depth.

Lose to "high mid-major" VCU by 44...lose to Cotton-Bowl bound WMU by 41...pretty much the same thing.

Abreu getting arrested, Walsh and Forsythe walked in the arena on IVs. Not quite the same thing

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Do I sit at games and love every decision made by KD and his staff?  Heck no.  That being said, the Zips couldn't do any better than KD on the open market.  Lord know, with his record, he'd have been gone long long ago if not for his CMU skeleton.  Also, you can't discount the fact that his close friend, LBJ, is now a face of the school and contributing millions of dollars.  KD's not going anywhere until he wants to.

I'd also love to see an NCAA run, but let's look at the odds of that actually happening.  Sure, there's a mid-major team every two or three years, a Kan't, OU or George Mason type team, that pulls it off.  The odds of being  that team are very very slim, explaining the excitement and legend when it occurs.  As such, it borders on an unreasonable expectation to judge the program (or coach) by the failure to be one of those rare teams.

I know many may see me as a defeatist.  I think I'm a realist.  I love the Zips but maybe, in reality, this is as good as it gets.

You know, I have given a lot of thought to this over the years and even though I wish the Zips could go a couple of rounds in the NCAAs, I am proud of what KD has accomplished with the basketball program.  He inherited a program that had one MAC tournament win in its 12 year history and turned them into a perennial contender.  The Zips may not have been able to parlay their MAC success into post-season success, but you know what?  We haven't had teams full of no-class thugs that can embarrass our institution at any given moment, either.  There is a lot of value in that.  Dambrot's players, by & large, have been kids that we can all be proud of instead of a bunch of low-character ballers that we hold our nose and tolerate just because they can win basketball games.

I am pissed off that this version of the Zips has no killer instinct, but overall I can't bitch too much about Keith.  We could regress to the Crawford years with the next hire.  Then we would really have something to complain about.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, K92 said:

You know, I have given a lot of thought to this over the years and even though I wish the Zips could go a couple of rounds in the NCAAs, I am proud of what KD has accomplished with the basketball program.  He inherited a program that had one MAC tournament win in its 12 year history and turned them into a perennial contender.  The Zips may not have been able to parlay their MAC success into post-season success, but you know what?  We haven't had teams full of no-class thugs that can embarrass our institution at any given moment, either.  There is a lot of value in that.  Dambrot's players, by & large, have been kids that we can all be proud of instead of a bunch of low-character ballers that we hold our nose and tolerate just because they can win basketball games.

I am pissed off that this version of the Zips has no killer instinct, but overall I can't bitch too much about Keith.  We could regress to the Crawford years with the next hire.  Then we would really have something to complain about.

Sounds like you belong to both of those groups that you thought was so hilarious earlier. There have been plenty of trouble makers in my time as a Zips fan. Abreu, Harney, Diggs, Tree, McKnight. I might even be forgetting some.  Its refreshing to see that appears to be no longer the case.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Abreu getting arrested, Walsh and Forsythe walked in the arena on IVs. Not quite the same thing

Hey, I'm not the one that said 1/5. :lol:

No more football talk in the hoops forum. I promise. I just made a 1-line comment for fun, and a few simple food-for-thought quips. 

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Sounds like you belong to both of those groups that you thought was so hilarious earlier. There have been plenty of trouble makers in my time as a Zips fan. Abreu, Harney, Diggs, Tree, McKnight. I might even be forgetting some.  Its refreshing to see that appears to be no longer the case.

Yeah.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I am not sure if the starting PG would have been quite enough to make up the slim 46 point difference.

Walsh and Forsythe both got food poisoning the night before, and at least one of them was getting an IV before the game.   And Deji was out with back spasms.  

It went way beyond a starting PG.  

31 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Walsh and Forsythe both got food poisoning the night before, and at least one of them was getting an IV before the game.   And Deji was out with back spasms.  

Unfortunately, it was a perfect storm.  Carmello Betancourt was the worst scholarship PG I've ever seen play at Akron.  Essentially, we were playing 4-on-5 w/ no PG and no bench.

This team is one of the most disappointing editions we have seen in a long time. Miami illustrates the point. The biggest frustration that I have is that they are not a disciplined squad. We can talk about all the issues, but I believe they all boil down to discipline. That's something that is developed in practice and shown in games. You can't show what you don't have. That's on Keith, whom I love and want as our coach. He needs to adopt some changes.

I like the comment about Geno Auriemma's coaching style. The commentator said "he does not practice until the players get it right, he practices until the players can't get it wrong." That's far from our team. 

11 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

This team is one of the most disappointing editions we have seen in a long time. Miami illustrates the point. The biggest frustration that I have is that they are not a disciplined squad. We can talk about all the issues, but I believe they all boil down to discipline. That's something that is developed in practice and shown in games. You can't show what you don't have. That's on Keith, whom I love and want as our coach. He needs to adopt some changes.

I like the comment about Geno Auriemma's coaching style. The commentator said "he does not practice until the players get it right, he practices until the players can't get it wrong." That's far from our team. 

KD seems to almost have too much faith in this team.  It's one thing to let them play through mistakes and occasionally figure things out on their own without calling timeouts.  But it can only go so far...

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Forsythe was a back up and and Deji was basically a non factor his entire career until his senior year. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. We would've got our asses kicked no matter what.

Edited by LZIp

The VCU debacle was a perfect storm scenario.  The Abreu fiasco played right into the high pressure D of the VCU Shaka Smart squad.  The illnesses of some of our players compounded it.  That being said, I'm not sure we're in that game even at full strength.  To this day, I'm still perplexed that Shaka kind of rubbed it in and did not let up when the game was well out of hand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

To this day, I'm still perplexed that Shaka kind of rubbed it in and did not let up when the game was well out of hand.

I wish that was a trait this team possesed. You need to play hard for 40 minutes night in and night out. Feeling you can take minutes off during games is what leads to things like last night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I wish that was a trait this team possesed. You need to play hard for 40 minutes night in and night out. Feeling you can take minutes off during games is what leads to things like last night.

Yep, no killer instinct.  Add that to no team leaders and it can be a recipe for a disaster.  Sometimes, you need a player to take the bull by the ............

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Forsythe was a back up and and Deji was basically a non factor his entire career until his senior year. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. We would've got our asses kicked no matter what.

That's already all been pointed out.   No Bench and no PG.  And really no Guards at all except Betancourt with a sick Walsh, and no Alex or Deji.   How do you suppose we were to operate against an all-night pressing team with no depth and no guards?

Think what you want about how that game would have turned out.  I don't care.  But, our two previous games against VCU were a 4 point loss on the road, and a 1 point overtime loss at home just a year earlier.     

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's already all been pointed out.   No Bench and no PG.  And really no Guards at all except Betancourt with a sick Walsh, and no Alex or Deji.   How do you suppose we were to operate against an all-night pressing team with no depth and no guards?

Think what you want about how that game would have turned out.  I don't care.  But, our two previous games against VCU were a 4 point loss on the road, and a 1 point overtime loss at home just a year earlier.     

I remember that VCU game at home.  We were down a point with 30 seconds left in the overtime and KD designed a play for our center, Zeke Marshall.  Ironic that years later our go to guy is still a center, Big Dog.  In that game I believe Zeke made a move to the basket and got fouled and make both foul shots to put us up by one.  VCU ran a play and one of their guys was open for a short jumper or layup for a buzzer beater.  Even though we lost it was a great game. 

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

4/22 = 18.2%

1/5 = 20%

Pretty much the same thing.

Lose your starting QB...lose your starting PG...pretty much the same thing when you have MAC-level depth.

Lose to "high mid-major" VCU by 44...lose to Cotton-Bowl bound WMU by 41...pretty much the same thing.

Abreau was gone and 2 other guys (Walsh and Forsythe) I believe spent the night in the hospital. Hardly the same thing. That is the equivalent of 1/4 of Bowdums roster. 

5 hours ago, K92 said:

Definitely better than what the blowhard across the parking lot has accomplished in half a decade. KD isn't perfect, but he has built a damn respectable program. 

Edited by Zipgrad01

2 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Abreau was gone and 2 other guys (Walsh and Forsythe) I believe spent the night in the hospital. Hardly the same thing. That is the equivalent of 1/4 of Bowdums roster. 

Go Zips!!

BTW - "Bowdum" is pretty hilarious . Not as hilarious as when you called Olijapoke a "Dopey Dope"...that was one your best....but still really hilarious. 

Beat Kent! 

9 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Definitely better than what the blowhard across the parking lot has accomplished in half a decade. KD isn't perfect, but he has built a damn respectable program. 

I think this is a testament to how high expectations have risen for Akron Basketball during the Dambrot era.....the fact that a 301-137 record is being called "respectable".  

I wonder how we'd be talking about football if we had won 2/3 of our games over the last 13 years?  I think some would say we'd be ecstatic.  But that's only because we aren't at that point.  If we were at that point, I'm sure the daily comments would look very similar.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Go Zips!!

BTW - "Bowdum" is pretty hilarious . Not as hilarious as when you called Olijapoke a "Dopey Dope"...that was one your best....but still really hilarious. 

Beat Kent! 

Olijapoke has made 1 post move all year and that was last game. His entire offensive game is catching alley-oop dunks. At least he plays hard, so I don't dig on him anymore. I still don't think he is very good or someone you build around, which is what we need going forward.

Thanks! I thought it was pretty funny too.