Jump to content

Moorhead’s Akron Coaching Staff 2022


akrzips2012
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

This would appear to be our S&C coach per his twitter. Another guy with a lot of experience.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ben-iannacchione/1933

 

Tremendous praise for him via a Google search. LSU, Wyoming, Kansas, and Pitt experience in recent years. 

 

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Beggars can't be choosers, and don't get me wrong I am impressed with the staff. But a lot of the "experience" we're touting is as a GA at a big school like Fessler. A good amount of the staff comes from bigger programs and places but are in their first spot in the role they are in now. Hoping it works out and I'm optimistic but I feel like a lot of the experience we're boasting is a little misguided.

 

Hardly misguided. The greatest coaches of all time had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere almost always includes being a GA at the beginning of their respective careers. I'm not saying we have the next Nick Saban or Urban Meyer on this staff, but I do believe we have the right guy at the top to identify and develop bright football minds & leaders. 

 

Coaching starts at the top, and JoeMo is about as good as it gets at the G5 level. If you look at the staff, the GAs are surrounded by quite a bit of experience. Fessler, for example, will be directly under JoeMo, and surrounded by Reno Ferri and Terry Richardson (multiple decades of experience). On defense, DeLattiboudere and Bell will be under Toth. Not to mention all of the experience on the staff includes P5. 

 

It's the perfect mixture of experience and youth in my opinion. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

 

If you put their names together, you can spell MAC CHAMPIONSHIPS, BOWL GAME VICTORIES, and KENT STATE SUCKS. 

 

Sam Popper is the Director of Player Personnel/Recruiting. He comes from Oregon, where he was the Asst. Director of Recruiting/Offense. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, AKSportsFan said:

Did I just count 97 on the roster? This doesn't have any of the '22 commits I don't believe. Seems high. What am I missing?

 

Probably a combination of a lot of non-scholarship players on the current roster and some scholarship players who haven't realized yet that they are on borrowed time.  (Big time programs typically have rosters with way over 100 players)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AKSportsFan said:

Did I just count 97 on the roster? This doesn't have any of the '22 commits I don't believe. Seems high. What am I missing?

It includes walk ons. The 2021 roster would have even more players listed. No 2022 players would show up on the roster yet as they aren’t enrolled and/or haven’t signed LOI yet. The roster is simply a rollover from prior year less anyone who they know is no longer with the program. The classes aren’t even updated (players like Jasiah Gathings and Myles Walker are showing as sophomores but they redshirted last year).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

It includes walk ons. The 2021 roster would have even more players listed. No 2022 players would show up on the roster yet as they aren’t enrolled and/or haven’t signed LOI yet. The roster is simply a rollover from prior year less anyone who they know is no longer with the program. The classes aren’t even updated (players like Jasiah Gathings and Myles Walker are showing as sophomores but they redshirted last year).

85 scholarships 

40 non scholarships 

125 total

and there is a lot of shaking out to do yet, he can pull schollies of people who don’t belong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

85 scholarships 

40 non scholarships 

125 total

and there is a lot of shaking out to do yet, he can pull schollies of people who don’t belong

I agree.  I looked at the roster and it has changed considerably in the last week or two.  Not too long ago, Gibson was on the roster, even after he committed to GT.  Also, there are no Redshirt Freshman listed on the current roster.  This will change since many of the athletes played less than 4 games.  Scholarships are year to year, not 4 year deals.  This is a fact that most fans do not know.  Existing coaches typically do not pull scholarships since it will hurt their image and relationships, but new coaches who do not have any relationships with the players do so all of the time.  Once spring ball is complete, I expect major changes to happen to the roster.  It would not surprise me to see 20 scholarship players dropped, because they are not D1 players.  They may have the option to stay as walk-ons, or they may be assisted to transfer to a DII or DIII school.  I have had several discussions with players' parents who all comment that there are so many scholarship players who do not deserve to be on the team, or that they had only one offer, from Akron.  I also heard that some of the parents questioned that their son got a D1 scholarship, but they were thankful.  So, I would not put much trust and faith into the roster until the players are enrolled in the fall and the season begins.   

In Joe We Trust!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I agree.  I looked at the roster and it has changed considerably in the last week or two.  Not too long ago, Gibson was on the roster, even after he committed to GT.  Also, there are no Redshirt Freshman listed on the current roster.  This will change since many of the athletes played less than 4 games.  Scholarships are year to year, not 4 year deals.  This is a fact that most fans do not know.  Existing coaches typically do not pull scholarships since it will hurt their image and relationships, but new coaches who do not have any relationships with the players do so all of the time.  Once spring ball is complete, I expect major changes to happen to the roster.  It would not surprise me to see 20 scholarship players dropped, because they are not D1 players.  They may have the option to stay as walk-ons, or they may be assisted to transfer to a DII or DIII school.  I have had several discussions with players' parents who all comment that there are so many scholarship players who do not deserve to be on the team, or that they had only one offer, from Akron.  I also heard that some of the parents questioned that their son got a D1 scholarship, but they were thankful.  So, I would not put much trust and faith into the roster until the players are enrolled in the fall and the season begins.   

In Joe We Trust!!!

 

Pretty complete description of the process. I would just add that the player losing a scholarship may also transfer to a FBS, FCS or NAIA school as well as a DII or DIII, and that regardless of the division the now scholarshipless player targets, the assistance provided by the school removing the scholarship is frequently limited to pointing the player in the direction of the door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

I agree.  I looked at the roster and it has changed considerably in the last week or two.  Not too long ago, Gibson was on the roster, even after he committed to GT.  Also, there are no Redshirt Freshman listed on the current roster.  This will change since many of the athletes played less than 4 games.  Scholarships are year to year, not 4 year deals.  This is a fact that most fans do not know.  Existing coaches typically do not pull scholarships since it will hurt their image and relationships, but new coaches who do not have any relationships with the players do so all of the time.  Once spring ball is complete, I expect major changes to happen to the roster.  It would not surprise me to see 20 scholarship players dropped, because they are not D1 players.  They may have the option to stay as walk-ons, or they may be assisted to transfer to a DII or DIII school.  I have had several discussions with players' parents who all comment that there are so many scholarship players who do not deserve to be on the team, or that they had only one offer, from Akron.  I also heard that some of the parents questioned that their son got a D1 scholarship, but they were thankful.  So, I would not put much trust and faith into the roster until the players are enrolled in the fall and the season begins.   

In Joe We Trust!!!

1) They are not going to get rid of 20 “scholarship” players after spring ball. There would be no way to replace those kind of numbers at that time of the year. Maybe in the months leading up to spring ball, there will be that kind of turnover, but it will most likely be weighted more to the walk-ons and those scholarship players who are not a fit and want to make a move so they can explore other possibilities, even at lower levels in time for next year. End of semester is too late.

2) Nobody on the Akron staff will be assisting players to find other spots.

3) There is not a parent on the team that believes ( or would honestly admit so) that their kid wasn’t deserving of a D1 scholarship. In fact, most HS parents I’ve been around believe their kid is D1 caliber, even if he’s not starting in HS😂. Whoever suggested that is clueless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should be about 20 schollies under the limit with the current roster. Can replace up to 32. Hopefully we don’t have more than another 12 leave (at least for this season). A fringe scholarship player should be better than a walk on and depth is important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

1) They are not going to get rid of 20 “scholarship” players after spring ball. There would be no way to replace those kind of numbers at that time of the year. Maybe in the months leading up to spring ball, there will be that kind of turnover, but it will most likely be weighted more to the walk-ons and those scholarship players who are not a fit and want to make a move so they can explore other possibilities, even at lower levels in time for next year. End of semester is too late.

2) Nobody on the Akron staff will be assisting players to find other spots.

3) There is not a parent on the team that believes ( or would honestly admit so) that their kid wasn’t deserving of a D1 scholarship. In fact, most HS parents I’ve been around believe their kid is D1 caliber, even if he’s not starting in HS😂. Whoever suggested that is clueless.

I stand by my statement. Call me on it in September if I am wrong.  The issue is that we do not know for sure who is on scholarship and who is not.  There is only speculation and I know that the scholarship chart is close, but it is not 100% accurate.  

1. Regarding of timing of shedding non D1 players, I should have stated between now and the start of next season.  The purge has already started with a couple of players leaving.  Many more will leave on their own and others will be assisted out the door.  I am not talking about Gibson and others moving up in the world.  We may not meet the 85 scholarship limit as a result, but it is better to have good players rather than players on scholarship who are not FBS talent.  

2.  I do not know what JoeMo will do.  But I do know that classy programs assist players to a different team or a lower level of playing, DII, DIII, FCS, etc.  Will my alma mater show class?  I hope so.  

3.  Over the last several seasons, I got to know a lot of players' parents during the tail gate parties.  I have heard many unrealistic stories about how good their son's were and how bad they were, after several cervesas.  I will relay two of the stories.

     a. One player was on his 6th season with a red shirt year and a hardship year.  His dad stated how          his family is using the University of Akron to get his second Masters, and he will never see the             field.  He was quite arrogant that he could not afford his son's education.  

      b. Another player who's uncle was a big time Big10 player would joke that his nephew's only offer        was from Akron.  He said he was thankful, but was unsure if he deserved it.  Oh, how beers bring        out the truth.  I have other examples, but I will stay with these two.  

Both players are not on the current roster.  

In Joe We Trust!!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I stand by my statement. Call me on it in September if I am wrong.  The issue is that we do not know for sure who is on scholarship and who is not.  There is only speculation and I know that the scholarship chart is close, but it is not 100% accurate.  

1. Regarding of timing of shedding non D1 players, I should have stated between now and the start of next season.  The purge has already started with a couple of players leaving.  Many more will leave on their own and others will be assisted out the door.  I am not talking about Gibson and others moving up in the world.  We may not meet the 85 scholarship limit as a result, but it is better to have good players rather than players on scholarship who are not FBS talent.  

2.  I do not know what JoeMo will do.  But I do know that classy programs assist players to a different team or a lower level of playing, DII, DIII, FCS, etc.  Will my alma mater show class?  I hope so.  

3.  Over the last several seasons, I got to know a lot of players' parents during the tail gate parties.  I have heard many unrealistic stories about how good their son's were and how bad they were, after several cervesas.  I will relay two of the stories.

     a. One player was on his 6th season with a red shirt year and a hardship year.  His dad stated how          his family is using the University of Akron to get his second Masters, and he will never see the             field.  He was quite arrogant that he could not afford his son's education.  

      b. Another player who's uncle was a big time Big10 player would joke that his nephew's only offer        was from Akron.  He said he was thankful, but was unsure if he deserved it.  Oh, how beers bring        out the truth.  I have other examples, but I will stay with these two.  

Both players are not on the current roster.  

In Joe We Trust!!!!

 

Lol, my guess of the above is Robbie Kelley & Zach Dilauro but Zach is still with the team & his uncle I believe is still on Titans practice squad.  Dad & Grandpa both played at Toledo 

Edited by 94zipgrad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I look at and read about this coaching staff, the more I like it. I hope those who stuck around embrace this staff because the experience they get as a football players will be changing for what I hope they feel is better. The experience is going to be more challenging, physically and intellectually. This is a D-1A staff. The days of D3 coaches is over and these new guys have a lot to teach you. Embrace it. 

 

I once worked for a division leader who told the management group I worked for, "We are going to change the people or we are going to change the people." Those who stuck around need to pay close attention to this sentence.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GP1 said:

The more I look at and read about this coaching staff, the more I like it. I hope those who stuck around embrace this staff because the experience they get as a football players will be changing for what I hope they feel is better. The experience is going to be more challenging, physically and intellectually. This is a D-1A staff. The days of D3 coaches is over and these new guys have a lot to teach you. Embrace it. 

 

I once worked for a division leader who told the management group I worked for, "We are going to change the people or we are going to change the people." Those who stuck around need to pay close attention to this sentence.  

I love the staff he has put together.  We can't afford the actual coordinators from P5s but we have hired bright young coaches who have had incredible mentors and come from big programs.  They may be young but they will be hungry to make names for themselves.  Very smart IMHO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Lol, my guess of the above is Robbie Kelley & Zach Dilauro but Zach is still with the team & his uncle I believe is still on Titans practice squad.  Dad & Grandpa both played at Toledo 

Good guesses, but no.  No more comments on this subject to protect the innocent.

Go Zips!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...