Jump to content

MAC Basketball 2022-23


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The proverbial early season take:

 

So after yesterday,  looks like EMU, Toledo, and PCCC are the teams to beat.   Zips will be lucky to get a top 4 seed in Cleveland.

 

Last night was a bad loss that killed our chances at an at large bid.

 

Doubt anyone will show up for Morgan State game and probably get skunked in Cayman.  Not a great day to be a Zip.

You're right, this game was a terrible harbinger of how the rest of the season is sure to go.  Remember last February when we lost to last place WMU? Sure enough, we would go on to get bounced in the first round of the MAC tournament and not play any postseason ball.

 

31 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Huge recruiting fail by Team Groce not grabbing Bates. 

 

Right again.  Any coach worth his salt would've convinced Bates that, instead of going home, he should...not do that, and play for a conference foe of said home school instead.  Surprised Groce hasn't resigned in disgrace yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mrelegazna said:

You're right, this game was a terrible harbinger of how the rest of the season is sure to go.  Remember last February when we lost to last place WMU? Sure enough, we would go on to get bounced in the first round of the MAC tournament and not play any postseason ball.

 

Right again.  Any coach worth his salt would've convinced Bates that, instead of going home, he should...not do that, and play for a conference foe of said home school instead.  Surprised Groce hasn't resigned in disgrace yet.

I'm just joking around.  I don't believe any of that.  I've been Team Groce from the first time his name came up on a thread after Dambrot quit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That $60 season ticket has never been so valuable. In addition to UA failing to market its own program, they can now fail to market what is unquestionably the highest quality home schedule they’ve had in a very long time. Any decent basketball fan should be clawing to get into the JAR to see the likes of Toledo, EMU (feels weird to say after so long), Kent, and OU and UB for a great rivalry environment. 
 

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That $60 season ticket has never been so valuable. In addition to UA failing to market its own program, they can now fail to market what is unquestionably the highest quality home schedule they’ve had in a very long time. Any decent basketball fan should be clawing to get into the JAR to see the likes of Toledo, EMU (feels weird to say after so long), Kent, and OU and UB for a great rivalry environment. 
 

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it…

 

Best deal around.  Another area school in the area that specializes in inappropriate pregame videos changes $170 for inferior basketball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

Best deal around.  Another area school in the area that specializes in inappropriate pregame videos changes $170 for inferior basketball. 

 

Is that not the going rate for the circus? Their profit margin increases more by not having to use makeup on Pinky. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EMU & Oakland headed to OT. 

UPDATE: Oakland wins by 2 in OT. 

 

Howard is up by 5 on Buffalo with 3 minutes to play.

UPDATE: Howard wins by 2.

 

Portage County School of Music beat Chicago State by 29.

 

St. Bonnie beat BUGS by 13. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

EMU & Oakland headed to OT. 

UPDATE: Oakland wins by 2 in OT. 

 

Howard is up by 5 on Buffalo with 3 minutes to play.

UPDATE: Howard wins by 2.

 

Portage County School of Music beat Chicago State by 29.

 

St. Bonnie beat BUGS by 13. 

Uhhh...our friends at Over the Pylon also had a big win at Indiana-South Bend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

If this were Akron's football team, the ball would've bounced off that backboard, defied physics, and landed inside Michigan's hoop (to contrast the difference in luck).

then they lost.  What a heartbreaker.  Feel so bad for them.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going into this season, and so far through a handful of games, the MAC was accurately billed as being as strong and deep as it has been in a long time. However, a team picked in the middle of the pack but had a lot to prove--the Buffalo Bulls--have had a really rough start to the year. They took out Colgate in a fantastic game on opening night, a really great win. Now they've lost four in a row, including a 97-62 beatdown at the hands of James Madison on their home floor. Not a ton of MAC teams lose home games to Mid Majors in that fashion. The Bulls lost by 20 at UConn, and have blown a pair of halftime leads to Drake and Howard in the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. They face George Mason today as 6-point dogs to try to claw their way into a 7th place finish. 

 

After Nate Oats left, Buffalo promoted assistant Jim Whitesell to head coach. He had a couple decent seasons, including a MAC tournament runner-up in 2021 (LCJ almost took them out in the semis). I called Akron's win over them in the quarterfinals in 2022 "The Game Groce Killed Buffalo." So far, that may be the case. This seems to be a rebuilding year, as nearly every major contributor departed in one way or another. Their fans were not happy with the hire at the time, and they grow more frustrated with every game. This season would have to go wayyyyy south for them to make a change, but it's something to keep an eye on. After a great run of over a decade, Buffalo may not be in the championship picture in the MAC for a couple of years. Lots of interesting storylines to follow in the MAC this year, and this is certainly one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...