MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

24 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Anybody know what the reason is behind the 4 or 5 year ban on postseason participation for newly classified DI schools? Seems a bit ridiculous. 

Now that the NCAA can’t stop players from making money they need something else to wield their authority over. Dirtbag D3 schools wanting to elevate to D1 basketball are the new whipping boys.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They are 6-2 on the season so far, and have yet to be blown out in their 2 losses.

Anybody know what the reason is behind the 4 or 5 year ban on postseason participation for newly classified DI schools? Seems a bit ridiculous. 

It's the archaic rules from the transfer portal past. You use to have to sit out a year when you transferred from 1 D1 school to another. You could however transfer from D1 to D2 and play immediately. As I understand it the rule is in place because people feared a bunch of D1 players would transfer to a D2 school that is moving up to get around the 1 year sitting out rule.

Not saying I agree with the rule, but thar was the rationale behind it.

16 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

BG lost to some school named “Queen” tonight. 

Does not appear BG will be 2023 MAC champions, my friends. They don’t even seem to be fighting, to the end.

Definitely not magnifico. They're just some poor boys, nobody loves them. 

18 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

BG lost to some school named “Queen” tonight. 

Does not appear BG will be 2023 MAC champions, my friends. They don’t even seem to be fighting, to the end.

Queens is Marshall's only loss thus far.  Queens is a small university (2300 students) in Charlotte.  Their teams play in the ASUN Conference.  

35 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Flashes up 14-2 on South Dakota State in the blink of an eye. Amazing. 

Being objective they have looked like the best team in the MAC so far. Thankfully there is still a lot of season left to play and you don't get any prizes for being the best MAC team in November/December.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Being objective they have looked like the best team in the MAC so far. Thankfully there is still a lot of season left to play and you don't get any prizes for being the best MAC team in November/December.

Pinky's cheeks are rarely rosey in a positive way in March. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

We'll see.  PCCC looks pretty much unstoppable.  They are hanging with the best of the best.   Likely sweep the MAC

Edited by NWAkron

The MAC has never had an undefeated BB team in its history, I believe. Certainly none since the 1970s. If that Big Dog-Cheatum team couldn't do it ... or that PCCC-Elite 8 team couldn't do it, and none of the recent high-scoring Toledo teams couldn't do it ... I wouldn't be putting my $$$ on any MAC team doing it. Certainly not making that bet in December.

Now if things look different come Valentine's Day ... then maybe I go to the bank.

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

a few good MAC games on tap today.  I may watch Ball State v the Dukes.  KD's team off to a good start.  Also, Ohio v Marshall

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/seasontype/2/group/14

That schedule was made for "off to a good start". Do. Not. Miss. That.

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

a few good MAC games on tap today.  I may watch Ball State v the Dukes.  KD's team off to a good start.  Also, Ohio v Marshall

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/seasontype/2/group/14

The Dukes really needed this chicken soup for the soul. They're in the middle of a 9 game(!) home stand. Marshall, who needs a punch in the nose, is next.

• Haha 1

The first official NET rankings are out. For those not aware this is the metric the NCAA created to replace RPI for the purpose of evaluating resumes and to help seed teams. This is how the MAC currently stands.

1) Kent St. - 24

2) Akron - 137

3) Toledo - 156

4) Ball St - 165

5) Ohio - 182

6) Buffalo - 185

7) CMU - 220

'8) NIU - 287

9) BGSU - 295

10) EMU - 325

11) Miami - 329

12) WMU - 338

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

The first official NET rankings are out. For those not aware this is the metric the NCAA created to replace RPI for the purpose of evaluating resumes and to help seed teams. This is how the MAC currently stands.

1) Kent St. - 24

2) Akron - 137

3) Toledo - 156

4) Ball St - 165

5) Ohio - 182

6) Buffalo - 185

7) CMU - 220

'8) NIU - 287

9) BGSU - 295

10) EMU - 325

11) Miami - 329

12) WMU - 338

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/net/

This looks different.  From today.

But then there is this:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-houston-is-no-1-louisville-no-361-out-of-363-in-first-net-release-of-2022-23/

Edited by NWAkron

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Louisville at 361, Cal at 341, and Florida State at 293. 

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Your first link is just CBS personal rankings. NET rankings are published on the NCAA official website.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Edited by kreed5120