Talking Tressel

bobbyake

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Their silence does not mean that the rumors or true or false. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 2M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO.

I believe this is a distinct possibility. UA may just be sitting back, being silent & simply enjoying the attention right now.

However, I think the fallout would be too negative were we all to eventually learn that JT was never a serious candidate, or, let alone, a candidate at all & the UofA was just leading everyone on.

So, I'm going with JT being a very real, perhaps even likely, possibility right now.

I think he is a serious candidate. But if they sign him there will be a shit storm. NCAA baggage, money, priorities and GP1. There will be many who will disagree vehemently and loudly. What impact will paying JT 2-3 times KD and CP have?? I think there is nothing but upside for the football program but many other potential issues we have to deal with that could be harmful to the UofA. Would you take JT if it eventually drove away CP?? Lots of issues. This debate is good.

It won't be JT that drives away Porter. CP is more likely to be "lured" away by a huge salary coaching in the pros.

I think he is a serious candidate. But if they sign him there will be a shit storm. NCAA baggage, money, priorities and GP1. There will be many who will disagree vehemently and loudly. What impact will paying JT 2-3 times KD and CP have?? I think there is nothing but upside for the football program but many other potential issues we have to deal with that could be harmful to the UofA. Would you take JT if it eventually drove away CP?? Lots of issues. This debate is good.

These are similar to my reservations on the thing. I know I'm a BB fan first, and I see UA as a hoops school before football, but I think striking the right balance here is really critical. This starts to feel like 1986 to me a little .. and we certainly don't want anything like that.

Scoured the building...had two other friends watch the outside of the building on each side. I haven't seen him personally but there was a buzz on the second floor about it .

Also, there is some sort of meeting in a large conference room on third floor of union. Professional looking people have been coming every few minutes and there has to be at least 20 people in there. Problem is, the doorway doesn't get much view. Trying to get a friend to take my camera across to Crouse to try to peer in window ha.

This is ridiculous...i'm not sold that he's here yet.

I disagree. Their silence does not mean that the rumors or true or false. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 2M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO.

I believe this is a distinct possibility. UA may just be sitting back, being silent & simply enjoying the attention right now.

However, I think the fallout would be too negative were we all to eventually learn that JT was never a serious candidate, or, let alone, a candidate at all & the UofA was just leading everyone on.

So, I'm going with JT being a very real, perhaps even likely, possibility right now.

It won't be JT that drives away Porter. CP is more likely to be "lured" away by a huge salary coaching in the pros.

Not saying it would. I really think it would have a positive impact on the soccer program. But I heard at times that CP likes that Akron is not a football school and soccer has a higher profile here. My point is...there are lots of issues to consider.

Dambrot is smart enough to know that Tressel's influence with donors can help get his new gym built. What's good for one sport is good for the entire athletic program. Dambrot and Porter *should* be smart enough to know that to bring a legendary coach like Tress to Akron will cost big money. But they need to see the "overall good," and not just compare their sport to football. That's where Huggins missed it years ago. His ego couldn't handle being second-fiddle.

In reality, each sport is "top fiddle" during their own *successful* seasons. There shouldn't be combative rivalry between UA coaches, but support...and I truly believe Tressel will bring support(ers) to both the outstanding soccer and basketball programs. It's no secret that Americans prefer football over every other sport; it's just the way it is. A strong football program at UA can only be a good thing to encourage involvement in the other sports, as well. It's all good.

Scoured the building...had two other friends watch the outside of the building on each side. I haven't seen him personally but there was a buzz on the second floor about it .

Also, there is some sort of meeting in a large conference room on third floor of union. Professional looking people have been coming every few minutes and there has to be at least 20 people in there. Problem is, the doorway doesn't get much view. Trying to get a friend to take my camera across to Crouse to try to peer in window ha.

Third floor is where the Board of Trustees meets. Room 339.

Not saying it would. I really think it would have a positive impact on the soccer program. But I heard at times that CP likes that Akron is not a football school and soccer has a higher profile here. My point is...there are lots of issues to consider.

IMO, UA could not pass on Tressel if he is available to us. Football is too important strategically.

Having said that, I agree that UA would need work very diligently to assure that soccer gets the attention, promotion, resources, and attendance it deserves under a guy like CP.

I don't know Tressel, but he strikes me (in spite of the tattoo-gate) as a high integrity and loyal person (it may be loyalty that got him into trouble). I don't think he would create a coexistence problem with the other sports.

If Tressel were to take Akron football to national prominence, I think we, and the other coaches could live with that.

Third floor is where the Board of Trustees meets. Room 339.

Why do I hear mission impossible theme?

Tressel is NOT in the Union. I even walked in on that meeting and found out it was an Engineering board (or something) meeting...they were not pleased.

As far as the board of trustees meeting. Somebody was in that room meeting, but from learning that the entire "Tressel in Union" thing was 100% for sure made up by someone, I don't believe he was in there.

Rumors suck when they aren't true but wow did that one blow up fast. It might actually be a good thing.

Has anyone considered this:

Michigan fans beware: Akron is scheduled to play in Ann Arbor in 2013, in which Tressel could bring his 9-1 record against the Wolverines into the Big House. Might Tressel have something like this to say upon being hired by the Zips?

The internet is coming alive with creative speculation.

anyone else feel like this is getting out of control? I almost feel like saying that I dont want him to come here... I still do, but the level of nonsense involved with all this speculation and rumoring is getting rediculous...

I know everyone knows this in the back of their minds, but it's probably worth bringing it to the front of our minds right now:

Some people are seriously interested in tracking down rumors to see if there is any truth in them, and others are humorously interested in messing with people like that by sending them off on false leads.

This would be a good time to take a deep breath and try to keep all the rumors in perspective. Some may be false and some may be true, and many we have no way of confirming one way or the other.

I would not get overly excited about any rumor right now unless it comes from a solid, known source.

Friendly reminder of the day. Using the proper REPLY BUTTON reduces repetitive text in threads making it easier for ZN viewers to read. This has been stated multiple times this year.
I like multiquotes. It gives responses proper context

This is not a problem when used properly. The problem, is when they are not.