Talking Tressel

bobbyake

A little more fuel for the fire.

I remain with GP1 on some of this. And somewhat skeptical on the whole thing .. but if he were coming in just to take part in a search committee .. wouldn't that have been clarified by one side or the other by now?

I do have a big concern about all of this. If for *whatever* reason, JT is not the coach (he's not interested, UA can't afford, whatever), will Zips fans be able to be upbeat, optimistic or excited about ANY other coach that fills the vacant HC position? Any one? I worry that all of this exuberance over an internet rumor will put whomever is ultimately hired behind the 8-ball on fan opinion before he even puts on the blue & gold tie for his introductory press conference. This could end up being very poisonous for the program, and it's somewhat out of the program's control.

Go Zips!

#1: I wouldn't remain with GP1 on anything.

#2: Tressel sitting on UA's "search committee" is less plausible than taking the job himself.

#3: I do agree about your last point, although...even if Tressel had never been in the mix, I don't know if there's ANY other coaching prospect anywhere that could've excited this apathetic fanbase. Which is precisely why UA cannot take no for an answer from Tress. There's wayyyy too much at stake here for the University.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remain with GP1 on some of this. And somewhat skeptical on the whole thing .. but if he were coming in just to take part in a search committee .. wouldn't that have been clarified by one side or the other by now?

I do have a big concern about all of this. If for *whatever* reason, JT is not the coach (he's not interested, UA can't afford, whatever), will Zips fans be able to be upbeat, optimistic or excited about ANY other coach that fills the vacant HC position? Any one? I worry that all of this exuberance over an internet rumor will put whomever is ultimately hired behind the 8-ball on fan opinion before he even puts on the blue & gold tie for his introductory press conference. This could end up being very poisonous for the program, and it's somewhat out of the program's control.

Go Zips!

I agree 100%. We Zip fans can be a fickle (no, not a Fickell) bunch. In less than a week, I'm afraid many of us have gone from wanting anyone other than Ianello running the team next year, to wanting Tressel, and only Tressel, running it.

Go Zips!

+1.

I'm admittedly hanging onto the JT rumors because I want them to be true. But, with my biased perspective on the table...

doesn't this lead one to believe in the validity of the rumors? Wouldn't UA be in a hurry to crush the rumor precisely because of the reason you just stated? Especially considering the immense volume of smoke around this rumor right now?

Keep in mind one phrase that Wistrcill kept using over and over in his statement to the media following Ianello's exit: "the student-athlete experience." The college experience for the kids. To my knowledge, no one has ever stressed the importance of that more than Tressel, as reflected in the many traditions he led the team in at OSU.

The "student experience"? Under Tressel at OSWho?

You mean, hanging out at Tattoo parlors, and car dealerships? Selling lifetime memories of your school pride and accomplishments? And we know that he knew about these things and didn't stop it? And now every remaining student-athlete on that team is paying dearly for his mistakes?

Yep...he's all about the "student experience".

#2: Tressel sitting on UA's "search committee" is less plausible than taking the job himself.

I disagree. His roles at this time is to take on consulting.... not just due to his years of expertise, knowledge of players, recruits, and coaches, and his connections there-in... but moreso because of how his future is foggy with the NCAA. He is perfect for being on, or assisting, a search committee.

I disagree. His roles at this time is to take on consulting.... not just due to his years of expertise, knowledge of players, recruits, and coaches, and his connections there-in... but moreso because of how his future is foggy with the NCAA. He is perfect for being on, or assisting, a search committee.

I don't think Tressel would want to be judged based on the success or failure of the next coach. Another coaching flop and we'd really hold it agaisnt Tress.

I could see him serving in a paid consulting role, but not on the actual search committee. I think he would want to keep himself at least at arms length from the actual decision.

But again, wouldn't UA have at least tried to make it clear by now that Tressel is simply on the search committee?

Ha. I just received a text from a friend who doesn't even follow UA athletics which read, "Jim Tressel to Akron?"

This is getting out of control.

The fact UA hasn't come out to officially deny the rumor has me feeling optimistic.

You should be more than just optimistic at this point. And with anyone concerned about the money being offered: TRUST ME. It's not a problem...

Wowie, the haters are out in full force this morning, eh? Have a cup of Ianello and come back to the other side of the bed.

Wistrcill himself told one of ZNO's moderators that Tressel coming to coach was a possibility. Why are you folks now so intent on saying anything other than that? Search committee? C'mon. I know you don't want to get your hopes up, so you're bracing for bad news. But, just as we did with applying pressure to UA to be rid of the 2-year problem, apply your energy now into clearly stating your optimistic reasons to UA why you'd like Tressel to resurrect this program.

Otherwise, left to their own devices, I shudder to think about the no-name loser TW and his merry band will saddle us with.

Wowie, the haters are out in full force this morning, eh? Have a cup of Ianello and come back to the other side of the bed.

Wistrcill himself told one of ZNO's moderators that Tressel coming to coach was a possibility. Why are you folks now so intent on saying anything other than that? Search committee? C'mon. I know you don't want to get your hopes up, so you're bracing for bad news. But, just as we did with applying pressure to UA to be rid of the 2-year problem, apply your energy now into clearly stating your optimistic reasons to UA why you'd like Tressel to resurrect this program.

Otherwise, left to their own devices, I shudder to think about the no-name loser TW and his merry band will saddle us with.

I agree. But just to clarify, it was GoZips whom TW told that JT was in the realm of possibility. GoZips isn't a ZNO moderator. But he does give us more accurate inside information in regards to basektball than almost anyone on the board.

(Edit): I see two of the ZNO moderators jumped in before I could post.

I disagree. Their silence does not mean that the rumors or true or false. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 2M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO.

I disagree. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 1.5M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite of the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO

How many times do people in-the-know have to say it: Money is not an issue here. Folks were quivvering over a $350K paycheck to R.I.

Understand this: UA has socked well over $150-million into athletic facilities (JAR, InfoCision, soccer stadium, practice facility). Athletics is a MAJOR priority for this administration. Paying a man who can enhance the investment is a no-brainer. Ianello lost millions for the school in only two years. Tressel will put UA athletics back on the map and in the black. There is a LOT of alumni money in this area, rest assured. It can be pried loose when the school makes an impact move such as this that will turn the corner for UA.

I disagree. Their silence does not mean that the rumors or true or false. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 2M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite of the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO

How many times do people in-the-know have to say it: Money is not an issue here. Folks were quivvering over a $350K paycheck to R.I.

Understand this: UA has socked well over $150-million into athletic facilities (JAR, InfoCision, soccer stadium, practice facility). Athletics is a MAJOR priority for this administration. Paying a man who can enhance the investment is a no-brainer. Ianello lost millions for the school in only two years. Tressel will put UA athletics back on the map and in the black. There is a LOT of alumni money in this area, rest assured. It can be pried loose when the school makes an impact move such as this that will turn the corner for UA.

LOL Have yet to hear anyone in the know say that money was not important or an issue.

I disagree. Their silence does not mean that the rumors or true or false. I think the the UofA and TW have planned this debate and even encouraged it. If the highest salary in the MAC is 500K and we pay JT 750K… what will people think??? What if the # is 1M?? or 2M or more?? What will people think?? Will there be alumni who will help pay the cost because I don't think they are intending the students to pay with increased fees. THAT would alienate and doom JT. If there is a possibility (and I think there is) I think this debate is a test of the waters to see what the appetite the students, alumni and big donors have for JT and the baggage he may bring with him....and the cost we will have to pay. One thing for sure...if JT does not happen this week....it will not happen IMO.

I believe this is a distinct possibility. UA may just be sitting back, being silent & simply enjoying the attention right now.

However, I think the fallout would be too negative were we all to eventually learn that JT was never a serious candidate, or, let alone, a candidate at all & the UofA was just leading everyone on.

So, I'm going with JT being a very real, perhaps even likely, possibility right now.

I heard something from my source. I would usually share it, but he told me he would cut all connections with me if I told anyone(he knows my ZN.o username, so I can't say it).

But with people wondering about how we can afford Tressel? Well, with what I heard Akron is offering him, it certainly doesn't seem like a problem to them...

I believe this is a distinct possibility. UA may just be sitting back, being silent & simply enjoying the attention right now.

However, I think the fallout would be too negative were we all to eventually learn that JT was never a serious candidate, or, let alone, a candidate at all & the UofA was just leading everyone on.

So, I'm going with JT being a very real, perhaps even likely, possibility right now.

I think he is a serious candidate. But if they sign him there will be a shit storm. NCAA baggage, money, priorities and GP1. There will be many who will disagree vehemently and loudly. What impact will paying JT 2-3 times KD and CP have?? I think there is nothing but upside for the football program but many other potential issues we have to deal with that could be harmful to the UofA. Would you take JT if it eventually drove away CP?? Lots of issues. This debate is good.