Game 6—Eastern Michigan Eagles

lance99

This was part of the official writeup of the game on GoZips.com. I know it's a small detail but wow, would have been hard to get that paragraph more wrong. Did the writer watch the game?

With 7:24 remaining in the game, Akron blocked an EMU punt, which the punting team recoverd. Junior LB Andrew Hauser (Ocala, Fla.) made the tackle in the endzone for a safety, boosting UA's lead to 30-14.

This was part of the official writeup of the game on GoZips.com. I know it's a small detail but wow, would have been hard to get that paragraph more wrong. Did the writer watch the game?

With 7:24 remaining in the game, Akron blocked an EMU punt, which the punting team recoverd. Junior LB Andrew Hauser (Ocala, Fla.) made the tackle in the endzone for a safety, boosting UA's lead to 30-14.

What tha ?? ??

Finally got home from the wedding. Thanks for the updates. Just got done watching the game. Akron trounced Eastern on the scoreboard, but it was more a result of capitalizing on some big plays than it was dominating the game. That being said, the foot was definitely off the gas in the 2ND half. I wish we could have scored a couple more times to achieve the complete ass whooping, but oh well.

Offense has definitely evolved with Woody at the controls. You can see he is gaining confidence which is huge. First time this year I have actually seen real read option. Earlier games looked like designed QB runs all the way with a half hearted fake handoff.

Jerome Lane is a stud and needs more touches per game. Total size mismatch for MAC corners. Encouraged by Davis' play and Hundley is a bull. Offensive line played well today and there was a Donnell Alexander sighting as well.

I'm a bit perplexed with the defense today. The d-line was handled well today by Eastern although there did seem to be a at least a handful of missed holding calls on their offensive line. Where's the pass rush? Not a lot of pressure today by the front 4. The dumb penalties continued. I don't know which is worse. Personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conducts, or lining up offsides?

I like that we finally have someone to return kicks that isn't scared shitless. Long time coming there. Keep it up Van!

I wonder if I should go to BG next week. I have planned to all year, but the Zips played well today while I wasn't watching. I hope I'm not the jinx.

• Like 1

Finally got home from the wedding. Thanks for the updates. Just got done watching the game. Akron trounced Eastern on the scoreboard, but it was more a result of capitalizing on some big plays than it was dominating the game. That being said, the foot was definitely off the gas in the 2ND half. I wish we could have scored a couple more times to achieve the complete ass whooping, but oh well.

Offense has definitely evolved with Woody at the controls. You can see he is gaining confidence which is huge. First time this year I have actually seen real read option. Earlier games looked like designed QB runs all the way with a half hearted fake handoff.

Jerome Lane is a stud and needs more touches per game. Total size mismatch for MAC corners. Encouraged by Davis' play and Hundley is a bull. Offensive line played well today and there was a Donnell Alexander sighting as well.

I'm a bit perplexed with the defense today. The d-line was handled well today by Eastern although there did seem to be a at least a handful of missed holding calls on their offensive line. Where's the pass rush? Not a lot of pressure today by the front 4. The dumb penalties continued. I don't know which is worse. Personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conducts, or lining up offsides?

I like that we finally have someone to return kicks that isn't scared shitless. Long time coming there. Keep it up Van!

I wonder if I should go to BG next week. I have planned to all year, but the Zips played well today while I wasn't watching. I hope I'm not the jinx.

Agree about Lane - he is really improving. Nice to see Woodson be able to throw less than perfect passes and for Lane and others to make solid plays. Davis made some very nice catches and hat's off to Wolf for taking what could have turned into an interception away from the defender and making it a catch. We should see the Lane mismatch more often as we finish off the MAC schedule. eventually, this will open up opportunities for the other receivers, too.

I am very concerned about the defense. They gave up 413 yards from EMU. They seem unable to stop short passes and the rush does seem absent, as of late. Mindless penalties are really unacceptable from upper classmen at this point in the season.

Time for the Offense, Defense, and Special Teams to all show up during the same game.

• Like 1

Agree about Lane - he is really improving. Nice to see Woodson be able to throw less than perfect passes and for Lane and others to make solid plays. Davis made some very nice catches and hat's off to Wolf for taking what could have turned into an interception away from the defender and making it a catch. We should see the Lane mismatch more often as we finish off the MAC schedule. eventually, this will open up opportunities for the other receivers, too.

I am very concerned about the defense. They gave up 413 yards from EMU. They seem unable to stop short passes and the rush does seem absent, as of late. Mindless penalties are really unacceptable from upper classmen at this point in the season.

Time for the Offense, Defense, and Special Teams to all show up during the same game.

This is the disclaimer about this game. 413 yards seems like a ton, but how much was that in the second half? Garbage time is still Garbage time.

This is the disclaimer about this game. 413 yards seems like a ton, but how much was that in the second half? Garbage time is still Garbage time.

204 in the first half. I know EMU's offense is much better than their D, but we came out and gave up 14 against Ohio before we adjusted. We can't afford to come out flat against the pass next week.

post-7136-0-65411000-1444540437_thumb.pn

My observations through the game.

• One of the best halves of quarterbacking I have seen in a Zips uniform. 12 completions for 198 yards, 4TDs with 42 yards rushing. 355 yards of offense, and one of the most telling stats; 7 of 8 on third down conversions. Tommy is thriving in this offense, and taking Jerome and Imani along for the ride. I wished that first half would never end.

• To see TW13 high fiving the special teams players (multiple times) as they come off the field showed me a lot about his leadership skills.

• Loved the play calling. Of course effeicient quarterback play can make all your plays look good, but I thought AJ did a nice job mixing run in, and taking advantage when EMU packed it in. I thought Cribbs made a good point when he said he liked his offensive coordinator on the field so he can look it to his eyes. He would know.

• I read many complaining about Cribbs, I don't know how many games he has done before, I would guess not many. I didn't mind him. He gave you a few insights about the game that were unique. I found it interesting in how he pointed out as a returner, the first thing he was looking at was the gunner. I also liked his point about how important special teams were, and he didn't realize that until he got to the NFL. Too bad you can't turn the sound down on the other guy. How does anybody enjoy that? He repeats everything, and talks just to fill. He must have said "zone read" forty or fifty times.

• I hope the next time we get 15 yards on a kickoff following an extra point, we consider onside kicking, or at least pooching it to someone not used to handling the ball. Kicking it out of the end zone in that situation is not taking advantage of the given opportunity.

• Congratulations to the offensive line, nice day. Connor continues to run hard and get the most out of every time he touches the ball. I almost take him for granted now.

• I couldn't help but notice EMU's DB Anthony Brown. What a great effort he showed with that club on his hand. I think he had five tackles with that thing, and broke on one of TW13's mistakes where he would have had a pick six if it weren't for that "cast." I'm not sure what his issue was, I'm assuming some sort of break. Fair or unfair, it made me think of Joe Hadden not playing last week.

• Did that EMU QB not remind you of Johnny from Karate Kid???

• Nice game by Josh McNeil.

• The D did not listen to JRship35 by committing two inexcusable penalties to give automatic first downs in critical situations. I'm not going to get on them too much, they have played their butts off all season, and are facing a HUGE challenge next week. I'm really looking forward to see how coach Amato plans on defending Matt Johnson.

• Sure was nice to have a victory sealed at half time. Nice job guys, good luck next week.

• Like 2

• The D did not listen to JRship35 by committing two inexcusable penalties to give automatic first downs in critical situations.

Nothing new there Doc ..... My Wife didn't listen either and committed some inexcusable personal fouls at the mall yesterday during the Zips win !!!!! :wall:

But I'm sorry, you cannot give a pass to them because they have played hard all season ............... That's not discipline IMO.

TW made some impressive throws. One in particular....rolling to his left and then throwing across his body. The first TD slant was drilled perfectly.

If we can show up on ALL SIDES of the ball in the same game, we can beat anyone in the MAC. Seems like when the D is on, O is off ...special teams is all over the place but they were on yesterday with punt block, solid returns, and fumble recover on kickoff.

TW is doing ok, but this board has him as the next coming. The comments here have him over-rated. I hope he grows into the legend, but give him some time. For now Pohl is the answer.

Long time reader, first time responder.

Whoa ..... Can't fully disagree with the TW part, but please explain the rational behind "the answer" ... Interesting

TW is doing ok, but this board has him as the next coming. The comments here have him over-rated. I hope he grows into the legend, but give him some time. For now Pohl is the answer.

Pohl has serious red zone issues because he throws the ball too soft. He has one option in the red zone, and every one knows what it is: the fade. Pohl has not proven that he can run the ball, either. TW has always thrown the ball better. Last year he was plagued by poor decisions, but he has shown definite improvement. It would also be an injustice not to point out the significantly better chemistry between Woodson and the receivers.

Pohl seems like a great kid, who worked hard for the Zips, but he wasn't taking the team where it needed to go. Add the 2 concussions and it was time to move on from Pohl.

Welcome to the board...but you cannot be serious with your Pohl comments. Woodson is more along the style of QB we had with DW13. But it all depends on what you mean by "next coming". Next coming of Kyle Pohl? No. Next Coming of Heisman? No. Next Coming of a DW13? Than yes...yes I would be willing to stand behind that. ;)

Who was the last QB to throw 4 TD passes against an FBS opponent? (Hint, it's not KP16) ;)

TW13 is the man going forward, not Pohl. Especially since he has 2 more seasons here.

• Like 1