Bulls vs Zips @ the Q - March 12th at 7:30

Blue & Gold

11 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

"KD has gotten you to the MAC final, repeatedly!!  Why are you not happy with that?????"

bc..in my OPINION...it hasn't translated into a ncaa tourney run...so many mac teams have had that taste of fame/glory...from ball st back in early 90s thru ksu to ou in 2012.....we have not..and in my OPINION a ncaa tourney run garners MORE respect...21+ wins over 11 straight yrs is great but again...what has it gotten akron? nothing

but AKRON is a destination spot!!!!!!!!!!!!  per Zip Nation!

• Like 1

i like kd (not crazy about his sub patterns but...) & firing him is absurd....but how many yrs have 'we' been in this spot knowing full well the ncaa will take 7 big ten teams and crap on the mac...the mac as a whole has proven itself tourney worthy/competitive & kd is dead on...replace akron with tulsa or cincy and there is no debate...they'd be in

• Like 1

Akron is not a destination for most coaches. It is for KD. That creates stability in the program. We have a great chance to win the MAC every year. Nobody wins the MAC title with any regularity because of the diversity in styles of play this league contains. Still I am in the school of thought that thinks if you play for championships enough that you will win some too and if you win enough of them you will eventually win in the NCAA as well. It won't happen this year now and it may not next year but overall the program is in a good position to make it a real possibility going forward and I want that possibility to be there perennially.

15 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

better....  also they have underachieved far more then in those years.  did it hurt as much in 86-91 or now???

It hurts more, just like it hurt on the Plano shot, or the loss to Ohio U on a disputed tip shot.  However, I also experienced the championship against Kent when Zeke blocked 10 shots and was named MVP, and the other 2 championships.  I also experienced a great come back this year against Eastern Michigan this year when half of this board gave up on the Zips.  KD has brought good basketball to Akron.  With that comes highs and lows.  It is better to enjoy the highs and suffer from the last point losses than not care at all.

• Like 2

If any changes should be made, it won't be KD. If anything, maybe get an assistant in here with an unbiased, fresh perspective with no extreme connection with KD that they won't speak their minds to KD on maybe changing things up. Problem is KD has to keep an open mind. Not sure if that's in his personality. But I am in no way saying KD should leave. Maybe Matta down at that school gets fired, Boals promoted, and takes a couple assistants from KD. We need a change. Women's team did that and they made it to back to back MAC title games with winning the 2nd one in 2014.

Edited by mes102

11 hours ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

It's a shame for Jake and Reggie. Too bad for them that Pat couldn't focus on basketball and didn't put the team first. Pats selfishness off the court cost the team in a big way.

Because you know exactly how hurt his shoulder is. Pat is far from selfish, but keep up with the attacks on his character. I'm thankful for what he was able to do in his career and the sacrifices he had to make. If playing on a bad shoulder that he can barely use would ruin any shot at the pros, then he made the right choice. 

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

Because you know exactly how hurt his shoulder is. Pat is far from selfish, but keep up with the attacks on his character. I'm thankful for what he was able to do in his career and the sacrifices he had to make. If playing on a bad shoulder that he can barely use would ruin any shot at the pros, then he made the right choice. 

Okay, well, to be fair, 330 does bring up some good points. I'm not sure how much this has gotten around but I have heard that there were some things outside of the shoulder that contributed to his absence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ace said:

Okay, well, to be fair, 330 does bring up some good points. I'm not sure how much this has gotten around but I have heard that there were some things outside of the shoulder that contributed to his absence.

Please keep it positive cause Pat would have been a 2 time All MAC 1st teamer at C & F this year!!!  He would have taken us to the next level!!! 

I REALLY hope my comment about stripping KD of his COY award didn't come off as me wanting KD gone. I want KD to retire a Zip, WAY down the road.

I can't believe how quickly some of you forget what this program was like when KD took it over. Here's the evolution of Akron...

- 2004-05: 19-10 in his first year after Akron went 13-15 in 2003-04.

- 2005-06: 23-10 with a win against Temple in the NIT First Round. Less-skilled, guard oriented team with undersized bigs and lots of heart.

- 2006-07: 26-7 and, well, y'all know how this season finished. Again, less-skilled, guard oriented team with undersized bigs and lots of heart.

- 2007-08: 24-11 with an NIT First Round win against Florida State and a close loss to UMASS. Still an undersized team with lots of heart.

- 2008-09: 23-13 with our first trip to the NCAAs since 1986; we lost to Gonzaga in the first round. Again, the roster makeup was an undersized, less-athletic team with lots of heart.

- 2009-10: 24-11 with an uninspired loss in the CBI. Zeke's freshman year. No longer undersized, but still less-athletic with lots of heart.

- 2010-11: 23-13 with a FANTASTIC MAC Championship win and an NCAA First Round loss to Notre Dame. Still less-athletic, but with lots of heart.

- 2011-12: 22-12 with a 2 point loss to Northwestern in the NIT. More athletic, but still some raw talent (Tree/Harney/Abreu were young) with lots of heart.

- 2012-13: 26-7. The Dream Season that ended in Hell. Nationally ranked at one point in the Coach's Poll, nationally recognized winning streak, etc. Fairly athletic/talented                            team that was crushed by injuries/suspensions. Good team with lots of heart.

- 2013-14: 21-13 with a loss to IPFW in the CIT. A lot of the key pieces to today's team were young on this team.

- 2014-15: 21-14. Injuries killed us, young backcourt (young team overall, actually), and just couldn't put it together consistently all year. Played with lots of                                         heart to get to the semis of the MAC tourney.

- 2015-16: 26-8 currently. Injuries didn't help us, but still got backed to the MAC title game. Very young backcourt, starting to get more and more athleticism on the roster, and have some decent size. Didn't win the MAC but the post-season is still TBD. This roster has the blueprint-look of an NCAA team that can make a run. Need a little more experience and one or two more pieces. Basketball IQ on this team is pretty high at times (experience will make it more consistent).

This is a very long, pointless post when it comes to the season overviews because y'all can google that. My point, though, is Dambrot has evolved this team over and over again. He definitely knows his weaknesses and recruits to fill them. Eventually he will put it all together and we will finally get over the hump. You also can't ignore the high character guys Dambrot has had on his roster year in and year out. The MAC has also evolved into a more complete conference. Buffalo is now a perennial contender. OU is still biting at ankles. Can't State is still there. The West is getting better. But Akron still dominated the MAC in the regular season and nearly won the Championship game. Quite frankly, I'm with the people saying the MAC holds us back. The reason teams like NIU and Miami are able to beat us: they see us every single year, and have a lot of chances to build a successful gameplan against us, combined with off-nights by us. It's just like every conference, no matter what level you look at.

Losing Reggie, Jake, and Pat after this year is going to hurt from an experience, skill, and character standpoint. All three seem to be high character leaders. We have what seems to be some very athletic recruits coming in next year, combined with the redshirts from this year. I am VERY excited about next year, while this season still isn't over.

I am damn proud of this team. Am I pissed they lost in the Finals when they had every opportunity to win? Hell yes I am. But I certainly am not going to overreact and call for the firing of the guy that has taken this team to consistent levels that, 10/15/20 years ago, we were dreaming about. Now, losing in the Finals of the MAC tourney is a near failure of a season. Dambrot will get this program over the hump. Trust in him.

Let's see where our postseason takes us. If it's against the Suckeyes of Ohio A&M, great. If it's something else, also great. Let's Go Zips.

2 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

wrong!!!!  i stated that KD has taken the team as far as it can go under him!  he's a great coach but need a new vision.

What is this grand vision you describe?  What amazing coaches are beating down the door to coach at Akron?  IF for some strange reason a hot shot coach came in and won as many games as KD (and didn't lose a second championship on a buzzer beater)....how long would that hot shot stay?

Oh and BTW......with your "new vision" dirtyol........say bye bye to Lebron association.....that would be brilliant!!

Edited by a-zip

3 minutes ago, a-zip said:

What is this grand vision you describe?  What amazing coaches are beating down the door to coach at Akron?  IF for some strange reason a hot shot coach came in and won as many games as KD (and didn't lose a second championship on a buzzer beater)....how long would that hot shot stay?

Oh and BTW......with your "new vision" dirtyol........say bye bye to Lebron association.....that would be brilliant!!

well.....there is fallout if KD is gone!  but, you guys bitch about the offense, putting Kwan back in, and Pat's alleged selfishness!!!   yet, Akron is a destination spot!   Depends on the new coach, would you want?  Jeff Boals???  would he be a good replacement??  I'm not sure who the new candidates would be..that's for the AD.  but the same vision is only taking us so far and not to the next level.

6 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

well.....there is fallout if KD is gone!  but, you guys bitch about the offense, putting Kwan back in, and Pat's alleged selfishness!!!   yet, Akron is a destination spot!   Depends on the new coach, would you want?  Jeff Boals???  would he be a good replacement??  I'm not sure who the new candidates would be..that's for the AD.  but the same vision is only taking us so far and not to the next level.

Sure, lets bring back a former assistant, who is still an assistant, never been a head coach, and has been a part of a program that's been heading downward annually for the last 4 seasons. 

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Guys quit feeding the troll.

I can't help it.  I need some therapy today after the weekend's events, and typing and venting is making me feel better :D

• Like 1

I love that we all want more for this program. That we are frustrated with a tough loss last night. That we had another great season and its not over. That we are frustrated with the ncaa selection process. THAT we are and can be excited about next year. 

We have a great program and would not change a thing. If we had sweet 16 appearance a few yrs ago then suffer the lows of the other program we would be having the same angst this year. 

I see KD teams getting better every year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roopride said:

I love that we all want more for this program. That we are frustrated with a tough loss last night. That we had another great season and its not over. That we are frustrated with the ncaa selection process. THAT we are and can be excited about next year. 

We have a great program and would not change a thing. If we had sweet 16 appearance a few yrs ago then suffer the lows of the other program we would be having the same angst this year. 

I see KD teams getting better every year.

Exactly why I posted a mini-summary of KD's career at Akron. Even if the record isn't as great as the year before, the recruiting and vision for the program gets better. I mean a few years ago, we were all complaining about not having a backcourt with any PGs. Now we have 3 young, outstanding PGs with more coming in. Another gripe has always been the lack of athleticism/slashers. We have several of those either on the team currently (playing or redshirting) or coming in next year.

That's why I'm torn between keeping this staff in tact or let one go for a higher position. Maybe like one with Shaka or Boals. That way we just get a fresh perspective that might keep this program from plateauing or make that jump for the program a little quicker.