2017-2018

UAZip0510

I'm not sure that those two are good A10 players myself, but I do know a number of coaches who are high on Hughes. As for TDM stepping up in leagues will cause an even greater size disadvantage- but I am a fan of his and I would bet on him finding ways to be successful. At the end of the day their coaches must believe in them and I thing the sit out year will benefit them both tremendously. As for kids transferring and following their coach, I have always enjoyed seeing that (Scoonie Penn following Jim O'Brien to OSU). To me it shows the unique bond that players can have with coaches. 

19 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I've always been a "pro-transfer guy" in cases where a coach leaves a school as that player-coach relationship is often what drew a kid to a school in the fist place.  Now that it's "my school", I am good and pi$$ed off that these kids are jumping ship, especially those jumping to Duquesne, but I'd be a hypocrite if I pitched a fit about it.  Good luck to them.  Time to move on. 

Those 2 only had 1 D-1 offer each. They didn't really have a choice.

• Like 1

Basketball, more than any other sport, is about the relationship recruits establish with coaches rather than the school. So, I can't say I'm mad at either TDM or Hughes for following KD. At the same time, I'm with the consensus that those aren't exactly cornerstone guys to build an A-10 program around. At the same time, I doubt KD is selling them to coming there to be the man. 

To be perfectly honest, I would hold more of a grudge against Antino for leaving to go to LSU for his final year than if he would've also left to go to Duquesne. I can't imagine he has any ties to Will Wade. But who knows, there could be some Dambrot/Shaka/Wade inner workings on that one, and LSU is relatively close to Antino's hometown, so I won't even kill Antino if he makes that move, even though selfishly (and even for his sake) I think Akron is still the best fit for him.

• Like 1

I don't know these players or the dynamics of the team, but Im gathering there was a divide between Ivey and some of the others and maybe the coaching staff.   I'm going to assume that the "game players" are going to bolt. It was clear last week who was on team Groce and team Ivey and who wasn't.  And many rag on Aaron but he's sticking around.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I don't know these players or the dynamics of the team, but Im gathering there was a divide between Ivey and some of the others and maybe the coaching staff.   I'm going to assume that the "game players" are going to bolt. It was clear last week who was on team Groce and team Ivey and who wasn't.  And many rag on Aaron but he's sticking around.

Aaron's always been my pick to win the Jimmy Conyers/Deji Ibitayo senior season award. If he doesn't put it together his senior year, I don't think it will because he didn't get the opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wadszip said:

Basketball, more than any other sport, is about the relationship recruits establish with coaches rather than the school. So, I can't say I'm mad at either TDM or Hughes for following KD. At the same time, I'm with the consensus that those aren't exactly cornerstone guys to build an A-10 program around. At the same time, I doubt KD is selling them to coming there to be the man. 

To be perfectly honest, I would hold more of a grudge against Antino for leaving to go to LSU for his final year than if he would've also left to go to Duquesne. I can't imagine he has any ties to Will Wade. But who knows, there could be some Dambrot/Shaka/Wade inner workings on that one, and LSU is relatively close to Antino's hometown, so I won't even kill Antino if he makes that move, even though selfishly (and even for his sake) I think Akron is still the best fit for him.

I don't hold any grudge against any kid that wants to transfer after the staff that recruited him left. I do hold a grudge against said staff taking the team with them. "Akron will always be home" BS

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Aaron's always been my pick to win the Jimmy Conyers/Deji Ibitayo senior season award. If he doesn't put it together his senior year, I don't think it will because he didn't get the opportunity. 

Unfortunately he's the default candidate for the award because the prerequisite is playing like crap for 3 years, and well, no one else fits the bill. Either way I hope he has a big turnaround, we need it.

19 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Unfortunately he's the default candidate for the award because the prerequisite is playing like crap for 3 years, and well, no one else fits the bill. Either way I hope he has a big turnaround, we need it.

True that.

Looking on the bright side, he is 6-7 and has good athleticism. Plus, there was a point in his sophomore season where he was knocking down open 3s at a near 50 percent clip and deep enough in the season where it made you raise your eyebrows, though, admittedly on a very small sample size. 

Right now, he's our starting 4.

Think it has to look like this (though will likely change once Groce fills the empty spots)

1. Jimond

2. Utomi

3. Parrish (give him the nod since he's been around the team)

4. Jackson

5. Poke

Actually, I'm kind of intrigued about Ivey at the point. Somebody brought up that Westbrook is his favorite player. If Groce can't land a Day 1 ready PG, might as well put Jimond there and tell him to attack the rim with reckless abandon like your idol does. Daniel at the 2 is probably is most natural position as well. 

Edited by wadszip

3 minutes ago, wadszip said:

True that.

Looking on the bright side, he is 6-7 and has good athleticism. Plus, there was a point in his sophomore season where he was knocking down open 3s at a near 50 percent clip and deep enough in the season where it made you raise your eyebrows, though, admittedly on a very small sample size (something like 10 for 20, IIR).

Right now, he's our starting 4.

Think it has to look like this (though will likely change once Groce fills the empty spots)

1. Jimond

2. Utomi

3. Parrish (give him the nod since he's been around the team)

4. Jackson

5. Poke

Actually, I'm kind of intrigued about Ivey at the point. Somebody brought up that Westbrook is his favorite player. If Groce can't land a Day 1 ready PG, might as well put Jimond there and tell him to attack the rim with reckless abandon like your idol does. Daniel at the 2 is probably is most natural position as well. 

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I like Ivey, but he's not a ballhandler.  He dribbles way too high without much finesse or control.  Somewhere there's a JUCO kid that can hold that down. 

I wouldn't say he isn't a ball handler, though I do agree he does dribble too high.

At least for me, though, when in crunch time, he wasn't somebody I dreaded seeing handling the ball (especially since he became one of the team's best foul shooters, if not the best). And going back to my scenario, it's not like Westbrook is going to be mistaken for say, Kyrie Irving in ability to have the ball on a string, but Westbrook can dribble well enough that when he starts moving forward it's impossible to keep away from the rim.

Now, I'm not saying that Ivey is Westbrook. At the same time, I'm also not saying the MAC is the NBA.

11 minutes ago, wadszip said:

I wouldn't say he isn't a ball handler, though I do agree he does dribble too high.

At least for me, though, when in crunch time, he wasn't somebody I dreaded seeing handling the ball (especially since he became one of the team's best foul shooters, if not the best). And going back to my scenario, it's not like Westbrook is going to be mistaken for say, Kyrie Irving in ability to have the ball on a string, but Westbrook can dribble well enough that when he starts moving forward it's impossible to keep away from the rim.

Now, I'm not saying that Ivey is Westbrook. At the same time, I'm also not saying the MAC is the NBA.

Fair enough Wadszip.  I see Ivey at he 2 and Utomi at the 3, or vise versa.  I think there may be two starters out there that are not currently enrolled at UA.

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Expect a totally new style of play. Ivey fits right in, and so will Poke if they can teach him some basketball skills in the off season.

Despite his frustrating fouls throughout the season, I really enjoyed watching him play. You can tell he tries and puts 100% effort into every play. 

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Fair enough Wadszip.  I see Ivey at he 2 and Utomi at the 3, or vise versa.  I think there may be two starters out there that are not currently enrolled at UA.

I agree with that, which is why I put the (though that will likely change) in it. A true PG has to be the biggest need for this team, along with another post (though this team is playing small ball even if another PF/C type is brought in).

So we are on the same page. But even if Groce can land one PG, there will still be some minutes that will have to be picked up and, Ivey, as this roster looks, is the only proven option. So, even if it isn't full-time, think he will see some minutes at that spot ... and if Groce plays a style we think he will, not the worst scenario.

Overall, I do agree, once it shapes out, things will probably be:

1. JUCO

2. Utomi/Dalton

3. Ivey/Parrish/Sayles

4. Jackson/I. Williams

5. Poke/JUCO

I have a feeling Groce will take at least one (maybe two transfers who have to sit). He probably also lands at least one high school player who could fit in somewhere next year.

13 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Despite his frustrating fouls throughout the season, I really enjoyed watching him play. You can tell he tries and puts 100% effort into every play. 

I agree. He needs to keep himself under control, but he has a ton of upside. And in a Groce team, he better learn to shoot something besides dunks.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

so after a lot of angst seems like we all agree that Josh, Noah, Antino, TDM, and Michael Hughes are gone. 

Since Josh, TDM and Hughes have already declared their next destination, they are 100 percent gone. Noah was quiet early but announced his intention to transfer after the Groce hire, so have to think he is out. Antino, while being a bit more on the fence (and a lot of good reasons to return, especially since Noah seems gone), is probably 95 percent gone.

53 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Overall, I do agree, once it shapes out, things will probably be:

1. JUCO

2. Utomi/Dalton

3. Ivey/Parrish/Sayles

4. Jackson/I. Williams

5. Poke/JUCO

I'm gonna go:

1. JUCO / Ivey

2. Ivey / Dalton

3. Utomi / Parrish

4. I. Williams / Jackson