2017-2018

UAZip0510

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Charlie Spikes was taller than Antino Jackson and would have qualified for in-state tuition rates at LSU. 

:lol:

But wait, many of those Indians baseball players in the 70's had big afros, so you probably just THOUGHT that Charlie looked bigger than Antino :D

What is your strategy here if you're Groce? Obviously we need some guys who are eligible immediately, specifically at C and PG. I don't know how it is now, but it seemed before the NCAA gave out special eligibility exemptions like they were candy for basketball, meaning players didn't have to sit out that normally would have. There are a couple talented players with local roots available (Bragg, Hughes). If they were to commit, would they count against the limit this year even though they are ineligible? I am thinking no, which makes things better.

37 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

TDM and Hughes are upgrades over players who played those type of roles for them last season.

I'm amazed that you know enough about Duquesne to reach a conclusion like that.  But that's still not what I believe is puzzling people.  We're still talking about a couple of guys who may not have ever found their way in the MAC, and placing them on an A-10 roster, when they are trying to get from the bottom to the top part of the league.  It makes no sense.  Those guys will now tie up scholarships for 1 year, plus 3 years of play.  That's a big commitment that says that you want these guys to be a big part of what you are doing, when you are seriously devoid of the talent you need to even get competitive in that league.  

All I can think is that some of the people on Akron's old staff who are now at Duquesne believe so much in the guys they recruited that they are convinced that major improvement is on the horizon for them.  

Edited by skip-zip

This whole Dambrot leaving really ticks me off!! If you want to leave, fine go ahead and go.  The whole "I am an Akron guy"" Blah blah blah! was just a bunch of bullshit.  He has dropped to pond scum in my mind. Taking any and every player he can with him.  He is a disgrace to this University!  I would like to say I wish him well, but in truth I hope he implodes and gets canned!!!!!! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm amazed that you know enough about Duquesne to reach a conclusion like that.  But that's still not what I believe is puzzling people.  We're still talking about a couple of guys who may not have ever found their way in the MAC, and placing them on an A-10 roster, when they are trying to get from the bottom to the top part of the league.  It makes no sense.  Those guys will now tie up scholarships for 1 year, plus 3 years of play.  That's a big commitment that says that you want these guys to be a big part of what you are doing, when you are seriously devoid of the talent you need to even get competitive in that league.  

All I can think is that some of the people on Akron's old staff who are now at Duquesne believe so much in the guys they recruited that they are convinced that major improvement is on the horizon for them.  

Duquesne is coming off a 10-22 season and hasn't been relevant in decades. It's going to take some work before they can attract the caliber of players they need to compete with the top of the A-10. In the meantime they need to progress into something more than the dumpster fire they currently are if they ever want to attract the level of talent they need to compete. Dambrot obviously feels Hughes and TDM helps make them a better team in the short-term.

Just turning Duquesne into the 5th or 6th best A-10 team is going to require a lot of work. When it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised if Dambrot bit off more than he can chew and I actually don't believe he'll make a NCAAT at Duquesne.

Edited by kreed5120

I've always been a "pro-transfer guy" in cases where a coach leaves a school as that player-coach relationship is often what drew a kid to a school in the fist place.  Now that it's "my school", I am good and pi$$ed off that these kids are jumping ship, especially those jumping to Duquesne, but I'd be a hypocrite if I pitched a fit about it.  Good luck to them.  Time to move on. 

• Like 2