Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

You could say that about Shaka too and would take him in a heartbeat...  

I don't have any first hand knowledge, never met any of them, but I remember Boals had alot of buzz when he was here and it was significant when he went to Columbus.   My point is really that I'd rather have someone like that (Akron connection) then one of the (many) coaches that have cycled through Kent and then failed at another school.   And I really, really don't want someone whose only cred for the job is that the AD likes him alot.   

11 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

I remember Boals had alot of buzz when he was here and it was significant when he went to Columbus.  

The one thing I remember people talking about for a long time after he left was that the team missed that teacher of post players.  I know he got a lot of credit for the work he did with Romeo and Wood and others.  But I only questioned his recruiting based on results, and had never heard anyone tout his recruiting ability previously.  

11 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

Another thought... I would be really interested in a Shaka Smart disciple that wants to bring in a different style of play a'la 40 minutes of hell, something that broke the mold of MAC basketball.    

It would be a different.  Maybe that's just what our fans need.  Lord knows that it seems more difficult than ever to get people up on their feet anymore.  

Yeah, I think there needs to be a strong message that we're not hiring to sustain or maintain, we hiring to slingshot ahead-- what KD did created a base and history, a great platform for the right guy to completely transcend the MAC, but our goal is not just to keep that up.    We want to not just get to the tournament every few years, we want to be there every year... and each year get a little further.   Starting w getting that first win.   Our goal is to be a deep tournament threat every year and to play a style of basketball that is fun to watch.  

Is PJ Fleck available yet?   

51 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

...bring in a different style of play a'la 40 minutes of hell, something that broke the mold of MAC basketball.    

I would LOVE that.  I crave another style of basketball.  So tired of slow, un-athletic ball.  Especially w/ all the athletic high school ballers in the area.  The new coach, whoever he is, should be salivating over the possibility of assembling a stacked roster w/ only having to drive w/in a 45-minute radius of campus... including strolling over to STVM.

Edited by Blue & Gold

37 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The one thing I remember people talking about for a long time after he left was that the team missed that teacher of post players.  I know he got a lot of credit for the work he did with Romeo and Wood and others.  But I only questioned his recruiting based on results, and had never heard anyone tout his recruiting ability previously.  

It would be a different.  Maybe that's just what our fans need.  Lord knows that it seems more difficult than ever to get people up on their feet anymore.  

Jeff Boals is the main reason that we got Zeke Marshall. Zeke's mom was crushed when he left the staff. With a little web research, you would see that Boals was regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters at OSU and reason he landed the his first HC gig. IMO Boals is the man to get but I doubt that Williams can land him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Z-Pouch said:

Boals was regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters at OSU

I'm just questioning the extent of the decline in results while he was there.  Recruiting success isn't the entire equation, but schools normally don't decline like they did if you are at least maintaining the same level of talent that was there before you arrived.  It's well documented and dramatic.  From #2 steadily downward every year to #90 over 7 years.  That doesn't sound to me like "one of the nation's top recruiters" was at the helm of the recruiting process with those results.  

But maybe other factors are to blame. Who knows.    

I'm wanting to say this recent downturn in OSU success isn't recruiting related. They had a pretty talented freshman class the year we played them in the NIT (#5 rated class in the country), but they got hit by the injury bug pretty hard. Those freshman then decided to transfer at the end of the season, which hurt OSU this season.

Edit: Looking further 3 out of the 5 recruits that made up that #5 rated class transferred. OSU 2016 and 2017 rankings haven't been anywhere near as good. I'm not sure how much the drop off has to do with coincidence or not that recruiting fell off when Boals left. Either way recruiting was great at OSU when he was there.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Either way recruiting was great at OSU when he was there.

He was there for 7 years, believe it or not.   So, there's obviously a lot more to look at besides one recent year where a good recruiting class had a couple of transfers, if you are going to make a blanket statement about how great he recruited during his time there.   

You tell me what you see in these Rankings, year over year, over the last 7 years.

Edited by skip-zip

40 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

He was there for 7 years, believe it or not.   So, there's obviously a lot more to look at besides one recent year where a good recruiting class had a couple of transfers, if you are going to make a blanket statement about how great he recruited during his time there.   

You tell me what you see in these Rankings, year over year, over the last 7 years.

For starters it appears we're using different rankings, but considering OSU made the tournament every year between 2010-2015 and made 4 Sweet 16 appearances during that period, I'd say it's fair to say mine are a more accurate depiction. They are also the composite rankings which averages all the top ranking sites. I only included rankings where Boals was there for the entire recruiting cycle.

2010 - #2 6 recruits

2011 - #6 5 recruits

2012 - #106 1 recruit

2013 - #36 2 recruits

2014 - #6 4 recruits

2015 - #5 5 recruits

Every single recruiting class that OSU had more than 2 recruits, OSU finished top 10 in the nation in recruiting. The only class that was 'bad' was the class where they only had 1 scholarship available.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Z-Pouch said:

Jeff Boals is the main reason that we got Zeke Marshall. Zeke's mom was crushed when he left the staff. With a little web research, you would see that Boals was regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters at OSU and reason he landed the his first HC gig. IMO Boals is the man to get but I doubt that Williams can land him.

From what I have heard about Boals I don't know that he would be willing to leave just one year after becoming the head man somewhere. I think he may leave once the Stony Brook program is more established but not sure if he would go just 12 months in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I think he may leave once the Stony Brook program is more established but not sure if he would go just 12 months in.

So, if we were looking for a coach a few years from now, and Stony Brook was already established and doing well, he'd be more willing to come to Akron at that time, rather than now?

• Like 1

As I recall, Boals walked into a great situation.  Coaching changes usually follow a coach doing well and the new coach walking into something good or they follow a low point in a program that results in the predecessor getting canned.  Boals did the first, taking over for a successful coach who had just taken the program to its first NCAA tournament.  Oddly, the UA job is really neither of these common situations, but with every kid that transfers out, it gets closer to the latter. 

I don't want to be the gloomy guy, but I really think we are going to get an uninspiring assistant coach from some random P5 or mid major school.  Remember, the high hopes we had for a young and inspiring football coach?  Its going to be a name we haven't mentioned on here.  #RainingOnTheParade

40 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As I recall, Boals walked into a great situation.  Coaching changes usually follow a coach doing well and the new coach walking into something good or they follow a low point in a program that results in the predecessor getting canned.  Boals did the first, taking over for a successful coach who had just taken the program to its first NCAA tournament.  Oddly, the UA job is really neither of these common situations, but with every kid that transfers out, it gets closer to the latter. 

What?

I think coming into a program that has won at least 21 games for 12 straight years, with 9 title game appearances, 3 titles, and coming off of back-to-back 26 and 27 win seasons would be a pretty damn good situation to walk into, regardless of whether a couple of guys transfer.  

Right now, the transfers situation is not a disaster at all.  It's rare that they do become a disaster.  When a couple of guys leave, others find a renewed opportunity.  I hope and pray that this is how the situation will conclude for us.  

We now have one thing we've been lacking forever.....Tradition and Reputation.  That hopefully will carry us through this uncertain period.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

What?

I think coming into a program that has won at least 21 games for 12 straight years, with 9 title game appearances, 3 titles, and coming off of back-to-back 26 and 27 win seasons would be a pretty damn good situation to walk into, regardless of whether a couple of guys transfer.  

Right now, the transfers situation is not a disaster at all.  It's rare that they do become a disaster.  When a couple of guys leave, others find a renewed opportunity.  I hope and pray that this is how the situation will conclude for us.  

We now have one thing we've been lacking forever.....Tradition and Reputation.  That hopefully will carry us through this uncertain period.  

I agree that the Zips recent history is very good, but this team is losing 3 starters, two of its top reserves (Williams and Dunn Martin) and possibly the best returning big man (Hughes).  Not a sunken ship, but not ideal.  Stony Brook lost 3 seniors but was otherwise pretty solid and coming off of an NCAA bid. 

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I agree that the Zips recent history is very good, but this team is losing 3 starters, two of its top reserves (Williams and Dunn Martin) and possibly the best returning big man (Hughes). 

"Best returning big man-Hughes"?!

i remember those 4 minutes and 12 seconds he played in 2017. He was freaking awesome. How will we survive without him?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

i remember those 4 minutes and 12 seconds he played in 2017. He was freaking awesome. How will we survive without him?

I took note of the comment as well. Best big man? That has to be Poke (even though it isn't saying a lot). I would call Hughes the big man with the most potential to develop into a well rounded player, however.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Nice to see a post from you Captain. I was worried that with Keith's announcement you were standing on the edge of a tall building or in deep depression as I haven't seen much reflecting that satirical wit. Welcome back.