Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"Best returning big man-Hughes"?!

i remember those 4 minutes and 12 seconds he played in 2017. He was freaking awesome. How will we survive without him?

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I took note of the comment as well. Best big man? That has to be Poke (even though it isn't saying a lot). I would call Hughes the big man with the most potential to develop into a well rounded player, however.

I'll give you that it's potential, but I see Hughes as being more of a valuable and rounded big as he develops.  He was actually pretty good early when he played.  I think Poke sees a lot less time this past season if Hughes doesn't get hurt as Hughes appeared ahead of him on the depth chart early.  Poke is a nice player, maybe my favorite Zip this year.  I love the kid's effort, but he's a think power forward and I don't see him ever be more than a 15 to 20 minute a game rebounder and shot blocker where I see Hughes as a 12 or 13 point 8 rebound guy someday.

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I don't want to be the gloomy guy, but I really think we are going to get an uninspiring assistant coach from some random P5 or mid major school.  Remember, the high hopes we had for a young and inspiring football coach?  Its going to be a name we haven't mentioned on here.  #RainingOnTheParade

There are some head coaches at DI level that would take this job. For example, I know for a fact that McDevitt is taking phone calls from other schools. The right situation, he will leave. We have three times the budget than UNC-Asheville. We also have more seating, a better conference, better tournament site, and he would at least double his current salary if he came to Akron. Remember, the median MAC salary is $220k-$240k while McDevitt is currently making $114k.

10 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Is this mcdevitt guy your uncle or something?

No lol...I just went through a list of 34 names, cut it down to fifteen, then ten, and then five the night and day after the Dambrot announcement. I researched those five a ton and thought McDevitt as the best fit for the program after Dambrot. Plus, I ended up talking to someone on twitter that I didn't realize was very connected with the UNC-Asheville program, and he told me a lot of information about McDevitt, so it's easy for me to mention McDevitt's name as an example. I know it looks like I'm his relative or his agent or someone else close to that, but I just think he's a good example of a coach we SHOULD be getting, and it's easier for me to keep mentioning him than to keep saying the same traits I'm looking for in a coach over and over again. I'm not used to us having a basketball opening. I guess I'm so locked in on McDevitt, I know it might not happen, but if we get a coach very similar to him. I'm okay with it.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'll give you that it's potential, but I see Hughes as being more of a valuable and rounded big as he develops.  He was actually pretty good early when he played.  I think Poke sees a lot less time this past season if Hughes doesn't get hurt as Hughes appeared ahead of him on the depth chart early. 

Poke performed.  Hughes did not.  It was that simple.  Hughes was still sitting loooong after he returned from an injury, other than the 2 times he came in for 1 minute, and returned to the bench.  I think that told the entire story.  

People just continue to talk about Hughes.  I know.  I know.  He LOOKS like he could be a good big man.  Unfortunately, that's not what happens when his feet were on the court late in the season against formidable conference competition.  I felt like he was slipping into that Aaron zone.  I hope he bounces out of it very quickly.  

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Looked up McDevitt.  He would be a nice, clean break from the past.  But just doing a quick Google on him looks like he and his wife are lifetime North Carolinans.  Wouldn't see them moving to Akron.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I just did a quick internet search on him and found this analysis from last year when N.C. state was looking for a coach.  He is a home town guy who played for N.C. Ashville and was an assistant there for many years.  

http://www.backingthepack.com/2017/3/3/14807990/nick-mcdevitt-nc-state-coaching-search-basketball

I was skeptical too if he would leave. Didn't we think the same about Dambrot though? Also, I brought this up to the person close to the UNC-Asheville program if he thinks McDevitt would leave. He says not only can he see him leave, he believes that it's only a matter of time before someone hires him away, He feels it will be either this off season or next off season, someone will hire him away from UNC-Asheville. He even said that he stopped by McDevitt's office to say hello and visit, when he got "one of those phone calls" and asked him to leave for. Do I see him leaving for Akron? Maybe not. Do I see us have a chance though? Absolutely. If people close to him thinks he can leave, then I think it's possible. We won't know unless we give him a call. And hopefully, Larry Williams already talked to him in Phoenix. McDevitt left a couple days ago for Phoenix.

Edited by mes102

22 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

For starters it appears we're using different rankings, but considering OSU made the tournament every year between 2010-2015 and made 4 Sweet 16 appearances during that period, I'd say it's fair to say mine are a more accurate depiction. They are also the composite rankings which averages all the top ranking sites. I only included rankings where Boals was there for the entire recruiting cycle.

2010 - #2 6 recruits

2011 - #6 5 recruits

2012 - #106 1 recruit

2013 - #36 2 recruits

2014 - #6 4 recruits

2015 - #5 5 recruits

Every single recruiting class that OSU had more than 2 recruits, OSU finished top 10 in the nation in recruiting. The only class that was 'bad' was the class where they only had 1 scholarship available.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

What good are "Rankings" if players don't pan out?  Rankings are not a tell all to recruiting. NONE of their top recruits have been impressive.  The rep of Ohio State has with OHIO RECRUITS is horrendous... proven by the amount of HIGH RANKED OHIO PLAYERS that leave the state with tOSU not being mentioned on their lists of top possibilities.  And wasn't Boals tOSU's "Ohio Recruiter"?   

37 minutes ago, mes102 said:

I was skeptical too if he would leave. Didn't we think the same about Dambrot though? Also, I brought this up to the person close to the UNC-Asheville program if he thinks McDevitt would leave. He says not only can he see him leave, he believes that it's only a matter of time before someone hires him away, He feels it will be either this off season or next off season, someone will hire him away from UNC-Asheville. He even said that he stopped by McDevitt's office to say hello and visit, when he got "one of those phone calls" and asked him to leave for. Do I see him leaving for Akron? Maybe not. Do I see us have a chance though? Absolutely. If people close to him thinks he can leave, then I think it's possible. We won't know unless we give him a call. And hopefully, Larry Williams already talked to him in Phoenix. McDevitt left a couple days ago for Phoenix.

I see a restraining order in your future:wave:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

What good are "Rankings" if players don't pan out?  Rankings are not a tell all to recruiting. NONE of their top recruits have been impressive.  The rep of Ohio State has with OHIO RECRUITS is horrendous... proven by the amount of HIGH RANKED OHIO PLAYERS that leave the state with tOSU not being mentioned on their lists of top possibilities.  And wasn't Boals tOSU's "Ohio Recruiter"?   

I'm not advocating for Boals or anyone specifically. I'm just presenting facts so people can form their own opinions. Personally, I don't see Boals coming as Akron seems like too much of a lateral move plus he is only 1 year into his current deal so his buyout is likely sizable.

I do however feel it's unfair to say his recruits didn't pan out. OSU made something like 4-5 Sweet 16 with him there so clearly some quality talent went through there during his time. I don't know the story on the transfers, but no way a coach can predict which 17 year old kids will or won't transfer and who knows maybe the other 3 turn out to be studs.

Edited by kreed5120

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm not advocating for Boals or anyone specifically. I'm just presenting facts so people can form their own opinions. Personally, I don't see Boals coming as Akron seems like too much of a lateral move plus he is only year into his current deal so his buyout is likely sizable.

I do however feel it's unfair to say his recruits didn't pan out. OSU made something like 4-5 Sweet 16 with him there so clearly some quality talent went through there during his time. I don't know the story on the transfers, but no way a coach can predict which 17 year old kids will or won't transfer.

I am not talking about transfers... HS RECRUITS... tOSU was POORLY RECRUITED and IS NO LONGER TOP PRIORITY for TOP OHIO TALENT.  Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and even Purdue has been more desirable than tOSU.  Even Illinois and Northwestern have gotten better talent out of Ohio than tOSU while Boals was on staff.  What did they get... Micah Potter? :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

I am not talking about transfers... HS RECRUITS... tOSU was POORLY RECRUITED and IS NO LONGER TOP PRIORITY for TOP OHIO TALENT.  Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and even Purdue has been more desirable than tOSU.  Even Illinois and Northwestern have gotten better talent out of Ohio than tOSU while Boals was on staff.  What did they get... Micah Potter? :rolleyes:

Jared Sullinger or Aaron Craft might be some Ohio kids you recognize :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Jared Sullinger or Aaron Craft might be some Ohio kids you recognize :rolleyes:

Clearly not up to date on OH recruiting...

Sullinger wasn't going anywhere else... Craft only came after a mess up with Tennessee football program... and I wouldn't call him a world beater.  Exciting? Yes. But Dayton had better PGs... didn't they run tOSU out of the tournament? Trey Burke or Aaron Craft? Please!

13 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

Clearly not up to date on OH recruiting...

Sullinger wasn't going anywhere else... Craft only came after a mess up with Tennessee football program... and I wouldn't call him a world beater.  Exciting? Yes. But Dayton had better PGs... didn't they run tOSU out of the tournament? Trey Burke or Aaron Craft? Please!

You are trying to criticize a guy that helped bring in 4 top 10 recruiting classes during a period OSU was regularly playing into the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Why is it relevant what state the players came from? His #1 recruit at Akron Zeke Marshall who was an out of state prospect. 

Duke, Kentucky, and UNC didn't get to be where they are by only recruiting in state prospects. They go for the best players regardless of where they are located.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

That was HIS TERRITORY.  HE didn't bring in the out of state guys.  And NOT ONLY did tOSU MISS on OHIO recruits, recruits are looking to go out of state without tOSU being in consideration.  

Stated by many people in my area and Akron is Zeke ONLY went to Akron due to desired degree offering over the other schools recruiting him. 

I am not "trying to criticize" anyone!  I am simply pointing out what has happened and transpired over his time at tOSU.  I'm not saying you only have to recruit Ohio kids, but if you are tOSU, you know it isn't good when the top talent in your state goes out of state and kicks your rear ...  

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I see a restraining order in your future:wave:

:rofl:

All of that information is from the person I talked to about McDevitt. Just voicing on who I think should be our next head coach. And by the way, if he's not our next head coach, then whenever our next head coach is announced, you will not see the name Nick McDevitt in another one of my posts. Unless in a couple years we have another coaching search :tomato:

8 hours ago, mes102 said:

:rofl:

All of that information is from the person I talked to about McDevitt. Just voicing on who I think should be our next head coach. And by the way, if he's not our next head coach, then whenever our next head coach is announced, you will not see the name Nick McDevitt in another one of my posts. Unless in a couple years we have another coaching search :tomato:

He looks like a young and fresh guy who would be a complete break with the past.  God, I hope we learn something this week!

9 hours ago, mes102 said:

All of that information is from the person I talked to about McDevitt. Just voicing on who I think should be our next head coach. And by the way, if he's not our next head coach, then whenever our next head coach is announced, you will not see the name Nick McDevitt in another one of my posts.

I know some University employees read here, but maybe a well written email to Larry would be appropriate. krex@uakron.edu

You seem passionate on the subject, and he seems like a good communicator, and may be responsive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackburn said:

That was HIS TERRITORY.  HE didn't bring in the out of state guys.  And NOT ONLY did tOSU MISS on OHIO recruits, recruits are looking to go out of state without tOSU being in consideration.  

Stated by many people in my area and Akron is Zeke ONLY went to Akron due to desired degree offering over the other schools recruiting him. 

I am not "trying to criticize" anyone!  I am simply pointing out what has happened and transpired over his time at tOSU.  I'm not saying you only have to recruit Ohio kids, but if you are tOSU, you know it isn't good when the top talent in your state goes out of state and kicks your rear ...  

I'm not going to pretend to know how influential he was on the recruiting trail, but it was evident OSU was consistently bringing in top 10 classes with him there and with him gone their recruiting classes have fallen off quite a bit. It may me coincidence or it may not be. The original point I was disputing was someone tried stating OSU recruiting fell off while he was there, which clearly wasn't the case. It fell off after he left.

Edited by kreed5120