Game 13- UMass

clarkwgriswold

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I had to go out of town unexpectedly so I will miss the game tonight.  I expect it to be a good one.  I think UMass will pose a challenge to the Zips but I expect the Zips to pull out a close one.  84-79.

Damn, I am slipping.  Off by a point.

Can't give up 46 points in a half.

• Like 1

This was the first Zips game I have made in a long while. With covering the Cavs, Charge, and Monsters as a side hustle I haven't had much time. I picked a good game to get hooked on the Zips again!! Nice size crowd who were into the game, exciting play, and of course a W.   I even caught a cush ball and have a shot at a nice prize LOL.

I can't wait for conference play to start. I covered the Mac Daddy at the Q last March, I get the feeling there's a good shot the Zips will be playing there this year. I saw something in this team I haven't seen in a long time.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

The Mass press was ineffective most of the time.  Once we broke the press we had superior numbers.  In the second half our guards would drive to the paint and either dump to a player for a layup or pass it to the corner for a 3.  Our offense broke down when we stopped hitting the open 3 from the corner.  Banks and Williams missed several open three balls from the corner.  

I was really impressed wit the play of Tribble.  He is very good for a frosh and is not afraid of driving to the basket.  I think he has potential to be an all MAC player if he keeps improving.

I was upset with Banks jawing to another player when he made a 3 ball.  Play the game.  There is no reason to mouth off to another player just because you sank a 3 ball.  I think he deserved the T.   However, I do not think the Mass coach was disrepectful to the ref when he got his T.  The ref gave him a t from the other side of the court.  I think in a way it was a makeup call for the Banks T.

I was really impressed with the Zips foul shooting down the stretch of the game.  We were not hitting our foul shots early but must have hit our last 10 when the game was on the line.  Love watching 2 good teams at the JAR.  I hope they visit us again.

This is evolving as a team we will love to see play. Only the center spot is weak. Love our depth. Banks deserved the T and I hope he learns from it. He got the big basket, no need to jaw at his opponent. Show some class, if you have it. LCJ was a star, but he has got to stop driving the lane when it is packed, jumping up in the air and then trying to decide what to do. That has to stop, it's a turnover in the making. I like Rehgi. He is an Akron Homer, but he has no business interviewing ref Phil Bova during the game. The game comes first, interviews fill in for dead air. That interview really pissed me off. On the other hand I love the commentary of Jackie Windon. She is first class and better than the games she gets. I hope she gets noticed by a network.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

The Mass press was ineffective most of the time.  Once we broke the press we had superior numbers.  In the second half our guards would drive to the paint and either dump to a player for a layup or pass it to the corner for a 3.  Our offense broke down when we stopped hitting the open 3 from the corner.  Banks and Williams missed several open three balls from the corner.  

I was really impressed wit the play of Tribble.  He is very good for a frosh and is not afraid of driving to the basket.  I think he has potential to be an all MAC player if he keeps improving.

I was upset with Banks jawing to another player when he made a 3 ball.  Play the game.  There is no reason to mouth off to another player just because you sank a 3 ball.  I think he deserved the T.   However, I do not think the Mass coach was disrepectful to the ref when he got his T.  The ref gave him a t from the other side of the court.  I think in a way it was a makeup call for the Banks T.

I was really impressed with the Zips foul shooting down the stretch of the game.  We were not hitting our foul shots early but must have hit our last 10 when the game was on the line.  Love watching 2 good teams at the JAR.  I hope they visit us again.

Watched the replay.  What stood out is that there was no bad blood between these teams. Game was tight at the end and X and a UMass player were having a nice chat a mid court during some crucial free throws.  Banks antics looked really bad on TV.  It was obnoxious.  However, he was in his zone with 21 in second half.  During the broadcast, they had an NCAA ref doing some color and and down the stretch he said it was "tournament atmosphere.". While they have up a lot of points and had lots of turnovers the JAR crowd loved it.  Poise under pressure.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Groce said post-game something to the effect of, "Keep shooting. It's when you quit shooting that I'll bench ya." I believe that was in regards to the 3 pt. lull we went through. 

Agreed on Tribble. That dude just has it. He has no fear and the game isn't too big for him. Tons of other MAC/mid-major squads get these ready-to-go freshman, and we finally have our own. 

Agreed on Banks deserving the T, but the UMASS coach apparently also deserved the T. Jackie mentioned in game that he had been warned prior, and apparently was in the extended coach's box, which is strictly meant for coaching, no ref discussions. The timing may have been more coincidental. 

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

This is evolving as a team we will love to see play. Only the center spot is weak. Love our depth. Banks deserved the T and I hope he learns from it. He got the big basket, no need to jaw at his opponent. Show some class, if you have it. LCJ was a star, but he has got to stop driving the lane when it is packed, jumping up in the air and then trying to decide what to do. That has to stop, it's a turnover in the making. I like Rehgi. He is an Akron Homer, but he has no business interviewing ref Phil Bova during the game. The game comes first, interviews fill in for dead air. That interview really pissed me off. On the other hand I love the commentary of Jackie Windon. She is first class and better than the games she gets. I hope she gets noticed by a network.

How about that interview? Super annoying, and quite frankly, I didn't give a crap. I have no idea who Phil Bova even is. Promote your book elsewhere. I want to watch the game.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Watched the replay.  What stood out is that there was no bad blood between these teams. Game was tight at the end and X and a UMass player were having a nice chat a mid court during some crucial free throws.  Banks antics looked really bad on TV.  It was obnoxious.  However, he was in his zone with 21 in second half.  During the broadcast, they had an NCAA ref doing some color and and down the stretch he said it was "tournament atmosphere.". While they have up a lot of points and had lots of turnovers the JAR crowd loved it.  Poise under pressure.

Well, when you play a team from a conference that's as competitive as the A10 is, at home, and are on the rise as a program, I expect nothing less than a "tourney-like atmosphere." I hope the schedule continues to feature teams like UMASS in future seasons, especially at home. The JAR needs filled with more than just North Carolina Alphabet Soup (we need more JAR puns on the board, by the way). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Jackie Windon is top notch.  She's insightful and knows her stuff.  Reghi drives me to distraction.  He always sounds like he's trying to demonstrate how well his last set of Word Power tapes are working for him.  Just too many gushing superlatives.

"Hold on folks." "Book this one to the Akron Zips."

Jackie made a point on the UMass technical.  She said that 10 foot stretch along the baseline towards center court is only for coaches to communicate with players and not for yelling at refs and they warned McCall in first half.  I don't believe there are "make up" calls.  Channel deserved his T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

"Hold on folks." "Book this one to the Akron Zips."

Jackie made a point on the UMass technical.  She said that 10 foot stretch along the baseline towards center court is only for coaches to communicate with players and not for yelling at refs and they warned McCall in first half.  I don't believe there are "make up" calls.  Channel deserved his T.

I stand corrected.  Being at the game I was unaware of the coaches box rule or that the coach had been warned before about talking to the refs from that position.  I have a friend who is an experienced ref and he told me that he will only T up a coach that is abusive to him or another ref.  I sit behind the visitors bench and did not see any abusive behavior.  On the Bobby Hurley scale of I would have given the coach a 3. 

Edited by 1981 grad

Jackie is great. Like most ( and Banks as well), I was pretty dumbfounded by the double dribble call on LCJ when the ball was kicked by a UMASS player. According to her, since he sort of caught it in his chest first and then dribbled, it is technically a double dribble. Not sure that rule makes much sense to me, but its definitely something I wouldn't have known otherwise.

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Groce said post-game something to the effect of, "Keep shooting. It's when you quit shooting that I'll bench ya." I believe that was in regards to the 3 pt. lull we went through. 

Agreed on Tribble. That dude just has it. He has no fear and the game isn't too big for him. Tons of other MAC/mid-major squads get these ready-to-go freshman, and we finally have our own. 

Agreed on Banks deserving the T, but the UMASS coach apparently also deserved the T. Jackie mentioned in game that he had been warned prior, and apparently was in the extended coach's box, which is strictly meant for coaching, no ref discussions. The timing may have been more coincidental. 

How about that interview? Super annoying, and quite frankly, I didn't give a crap. I have no idea who Phil Bova even is. Promote your book elsewhere. I want to watch the game.

Well, when you play a team from a conference that's as competitive as the A10 is, at home, and are on the rise as a program, I expect nothing less than a "tourney-like atmosphere." I hope the schedule continues to feature teams like UMASS in future seasons, especially at home. The JAR needs filled with more than just North Carolina Alphabet Soup (we need more JAR puns on the board, by the way). 

The Zips put a lid on the Minute Men's attempt to escape the JAR with a win.

It was a jarring experience for umASS.

• Haha 1