Conference Realignment

zipsrule

I don't see this helping the Zips or the MAC. There would be two more pieces of the conference TV revenue pie to carve out. Less for all the original others. I don't see these two schools bringing name recognition or potential rivalries. I talked wit hGuthrie about something like this and he wasn't too excited to add anyone other than Navy or Army and Navy is in the AAC. Maybe the MAC feels it can get a better TV package. Who knows? We'll see what happens. It would sure be nice to be competitive in football so we could at least see two new opponents to measure ourselves against. As of now we measure as crap. Too bad they bring no new soccer teams.

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

I don't see this helping the Zips or the MAC. There would be two more pieces of the conference TV revenue pie to carve out. Less for all the original others. I don't see these two schools bringing name recognition or potential rivalries. I talked wit hGuthrie about something like this and he wasn't too excited to add anyone other than Navy or Army and Navy is in the AAC. Maybe the MAC feels it can get a better TV package. Who knows? We'll see what happens. It would sure be nice to be competitive in football so we could at least see two new opponents to measure ourselves against. As of now we measure as crap. Too bad they bring no new soccer teams.

It's not just TV money. MAC schools would have to split NCAA tourney credits and CFP pool money more ways too. There is talks about expanding the CFP to 12 teams with 1 G5 (G4 if C-USA dissolves) guaranteed a spot. Depending on how the payout is structured for that the MAC might find it most beneficial to land a killing blow the C-USA that way they have less competition for that spot and the payout that spot would command.

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Most (all?) WKU posters are for the move 👇

Of course they are. Similar to how someone on the Titanic would have felt if they hit the iceberg 2 miles from a port. 

Someone explain to me how it is advantageous for us to rescue two programs nobody else wants. If their exposure to TV markets, potential revenue and all of the other happy horse poop we will ultimately hear from conference leadership is so great, how come there aren't conferences lined up to bring them on board? Why is the opposite happening with them being abandoned?

• Thanks 1

I think the MAC is looking at all of the movement of schools into other conferences and the gobbling up of schools by competing conferences and thinks that there's safety in numbers.  

Competitively, MTSU basketball has fallen off of the face of the earth and football is pretty average.  MTSU was a very good mid-major in basketball for a good stretch under Kermit Davis but the program has completely fallen apart since he left for Ole Miss.  Western Kentucky has had some nice basketball teams and has been pretty average in football.   Western would give the MAC two teams in towns named Bowling Green.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think the MAC is looking at all of the movement of schools into other conferences and the gobbling up of schools by competing conferences and thinks that there's safety in numbers.  

Competitively, MTSU basketball has fallen off of the face of the earth and football is pretty average.  MTSU was a very good mid-major in basketball for a good stretch under Kermit Davis but the program has completely fallen apart since he left for Ole Miss.  Western Kentucky has had some nice basketball teams and has been pretty average in football.   Western would give the MAC two teams in towns named Bowling Green.

WKU has made it to bowl games 6 out of the last 7 years, including an 11 and 12 win season. Most likely making a bowl again this season too making it 7 out of 8. During that same span they're a combined 7-0 against MAC schools including 2 bowl wins. They're an average FBS team, but they're a top 3-4 MAC football program and top 3-4 MAC basketball program. I would have liked having Marshall over Middle Tennessee. MTSU doesn't really add anything since their basketball program went to garbage once Kermit was poached.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

WKU has made it to bowl games 6 out of the last 7 years, including an 11 and 12 win season. Most likely making a bowl again this season too making it 7 out of 8. During that same span they're a combined 7-0 against MAC schools including 2 bowl wins. They're an average FBS team, but they're a top 3-4 MAC football program and top 3-4 MAC basketball program. I would have liked having Marshall over Middle Tennessee. MTSU doesn't really add anything since their basketball program went to garbage once Kermit was poached.

Good call.  I am a little more enthused about WKU.

I remember the Zips having some good games with those MTSU squads in the early 2010's.

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I like the second option better. It would be sort of a North/South split somewhat. Also, I am mainly looking forward to the possible addition primarily for basketball and because it will give us new matchups. I'm honestly sick of watching us play some of the current members over and over. Hopefully this will make some of those games less frequent.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I like the second option better. It would be sort of a North/South split somewhat. Also, I am mainly looking forward to the possible addition primarily for basketball and because it will give us new matchups. I'm honestly sick of watching us play some of the current members over and over. Hopefully this will make some of those games less frequent.

second option is much better, especially for the Canadian team.  The less Zips have to play directional Michigan schools the better.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

The Option I like best is moving Toledo to the East then adding MTSU and WKU to the West. This gets all 6 Ohio schools in 1 division (plus Buffalo). 

Edit: Looking at the map WKU and MTSU would be the 2nd and 3rd most western teams in the conference so it would only make sense for them to be in the western division. Buffalo would be forced to fly to both MTSU and WKU for division games. The directional Michigan schools are much closer.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

The teams from Ohio should be lobbying like there is no tomorrow to be in the same division. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The Option I like best is moving Toledo to the East then adding MTSU and WKU to the West. This gets all 6 Ohio schools in 1 division (plus Buffalo). 

Edit: Looking at the map WKU and MTSU would be the 2nd and 3rd most western teams in the conference so it would only make sense for them to be in the western division. Buffalo would be forced to fly to both MTSU and WKU for division games. The directional Michigan schools are much closer.

Does Buffalo bus to Mt Pleasant and Kalamazoo?  

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There isn't always safety in numbers. 

image.png

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree with this alignment as well but probably not fair travel time wise so probably not going to happen