Portal Offers

10 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

All good. He’s been added to the 2023 Outstanding offer list. Funny he’s been offered as I was going through and updating a bunch of JUCO profiles in the Rivals database last night and he was one of them. If I’m not mistaken, he is going to wait until after this signing period to commit.

What percentage of our class from each area of recruit (high school, JUCO, transfer portal) do you expect to sign tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What percentage of our class from each area of recruit (high school, JUCO, transfer portal) do you expect to sign tomorrow?

I’d expect all of our current commits to sign tomorrow. The portal still has a few weeks left for this session, so we may not see much activity on signing day from those prospects.

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I’d expect all of our current commits to sign tomorrow. The portal still has a few weeks left for this session, so we may not see much activity on signing day from those prospects.

I agree. Looks like guys in the portal are waiting to see if they can sign with someone, anyone, other than Akron. Hope the leftovers that we get can help the team.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I agree. Looks like guys in the portal are waiting to see if they can sign with someone, anyone, other than Akron. Hope the leftovers that we get can help the team.

Seems that way right now, but we’ll land some difference makers. So far, nearly 2,000 players have entered the portal and this is just the first window.

From Joey Hunter's Gamecocks Bio

Third-year defensive back who is capable of playing multiple positions in the backend… penciled in to work at the nickel position… can do a number of things within any defensive scheme… has been hampered by injuries early in his career, limiting him to six games in two years… did not practice in the spring while rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

2021 (Redshirt Freshman)
Missed spring practice while rehabbing a foot injury that required surgery… played in two contests, seeing action against Tennessee and Vanderbilt before suffered a left shoulder injury that required surgery during the season… did not record any statistics.

2020 (Freshman)
True freshman who saw limited action in four games in his first year with the Garnet & Black… appeared against Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Kentucky… did not record any statistics… redshirted… had foot surgery on December 8.

Edited by Section210Zip

3 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

From his Gamecocks Bio

Third-year defensive back who is capable of playing multiple positions in the backend… penciled in to work at the nickel position… can do a number of things within any defensive scheme… has been hampered by injuries early in his career, limiting him to six games in two years… did not practice in the spring while rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

2021 (Redshirt Freshman)
Missed spring practice while rehabbing a foot injury that required surgery… played in two contests, seeing action against Tennessee and Vanderbilt before suffered a left shoulder injury that required surgery during the season… did not record any statistics.

2020 (Freshman)
True freshman who saw limited action in four games in his first year with the Garnet & Black… appeared against Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Kentucky… did not record any statistics… redshirted… had foot surgery on December 8.

I think I missed something on this? Assuming this is in reference to Joey Hunter?

20 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

From Joey Hunter's Gamecocks Bio

2021 (Redshirt Freshman)

2020 (Freshman)

If my memory is correct, Hunter was in the last recruiting class by Muschamp/Robinson and Beamer honored the offer when he took over. Hunter would be a solid pickup as far as talent goes, but he doesn’t have much experience. He had little to no chance of playing at Carolina due to the amount of talent in the defensive backfield now.

41 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

If my memory is correct, Hunter was in the last recruiting class by Muschamp/Robinson and Beamer honored the offer when he took over. Hunter would be a solid pickup as far as talent goes, but he doesn’t have much experience. He had little to no chance of playing at Carolina due to the amount of talent in the defensive backfield now.

Even so, a definite upgrade in talent level, however I'm worried about him staying on the field because it's sounds like he may be injury prone.

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Lingard has 286 career yards. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but this guy was a 5 star 5+ years and a knee surgery ago. I hope he's great, but I'm not all that optimistic

That’s a fair concern. Rivals gave him a 3 star in the portal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, zippy5 said:

Lingard has 286 career yards. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but this guy was a 5 star 5+ years and a knee surgery ago. I hope he's great, but I'm not all that optimistic

I'm with you. I remember under Arth and Bowden when we were recruiting guys that we were their only FBS offer and they weren't even rated by rivals, people here were like star ratings don't matter. Going back 5 years to look at how someone was perceived out of high school is even more useless. 

Not to say he can't contribute for us as obviously we lacked talent in many areas. But what he did on the field in his limited opportunity over the last 5 years means a lot more than his star ratings coming out of high school.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wondered if he was “offered” a walk-on opportunity? I believe we’re his only offer, no?

According to his Twitter we are his only offer. We should take at least one high school DT in each class and if a local guy is deserving to play on this level I’m all for it. He doesn’t seem as explosive as Murphy on film, but if he can clog up running lanes and keep OL off LBs then that sounds good to me.

• Like 1