2022 MACtion Talk

zippy5

8 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Down goes Kent. Home win streak over. To a below average Ball State team. Zips are closer than you think. 

I watched the end of the Kent - Ball St game. On a 4th down play Schlee scrambled out of the pocket and would have picked up the first down by a good yard or so had just kept running or dived forward. Instead he slid giving himself up about 1/2 yard short of the first down marker therefore handed the ball back to Ball State to run out the clock.

One of the worst displays of situation awareness I've seen in a football game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was flipping between the two games last night, focussing on the delightful KSUcks loss.  I was a pretty big Ball State fan last night.  #MACtion

I'm real happy for our buddies over at Over The Pylon (Ball State board). That was a beautiful way for Kent's home win streak to end. It was a little bittersweet, though, because UA really should have beat them last week. If we had a little better QB, we would have.

Akron is a couple of touchdowns away from being 3-2 in MAC play, and Kent is a couple of touchdowns from being 1-8 and 0-5 in MAC play. What a fun/terrible league this is. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I watched the end of the Kent - Ball St game. On a 4th down play Schlee scrambled out of the pocket and would have picked up the first down by a good yard or so had just kept running or dived forward. Instead he slid giving himself up about 1/2 yard short of the first down marker therefore handed the ball back to Ball State to run out the clock.

One of the worst displays of situation awareness I've seen in a football game.

Zach Gibson - is that you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It helps the MAC is dog poo this year. Like I know we say the MAC is bad often, but this year it's exceptionally bad. 

So bad. Fortunately for UA, I think it's bad enough that some of the worse coaches (a lot of them stink) will be sticking around longer so the uphill climb won't be as bad. Back in the 2009-2015ish era, the MAC was very top heavy and only 2-3 schools per year were going to compete for a title. Not anymore.

Ball State's head coach at the time, Pete Lembo, left head coaching altogether despite being really good at BSU. He just couldn't get over the NIU hump. Those BSU teams would win the MAC going away this year. 

On 11/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, GP1 said:

3 of the 4 MAC schools on tonight have sub .500 records. The other is 4-4. This is great exposure for the league. 

Well, people at the bar where I live don't care. They just want to watch football. 

Or rather they bet on the games lol. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person that doesn't bet on sports. 

6 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Well, people at the bar where I live don't care. They just want to watch football. 

Or rather they bet on the games lol. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person that doesn't bet on sports. 

The NFL model. General football fans and degenerate gamblers. Societal decadence continues. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, scottditzen said:

You may not be the only person that doesn't bet on sports, but I'm pretty sure your the only person who lives at a bar that doesn't bet on sports. You can bet that I couldn't handle living at a bar; the lack of privacy would drive me crazy.

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2022 at 4:42 AM, Zipmeister said:

You may not be the only person that doesn't bet on sports, but I'm pretty sure your the only person who lives at a bar that doesn't bet on sports. You can bet that I couldn't handle living at a bar; the lack of privacy would drive me crazy.

You um, are maybe taking my post out of context....but on second thought maybe I'm spending wayyy too much time at the bar hahah.

You see I work remotely and some of these bars have really good wifi......

I was flipping back and forth between the Buffalo and NIU games last night to try to learn a little about the Zips last two opponents.  Based on what I saw, I think the Zips have a chance in these last two games.  The one issue that I will predict i is that Akron needs to be ready to play the final two games on the road.  After this season, it could be a challenge.  

Go Zips!!

41 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I was flipping back and forth between the Buffalo and NIU games last night to try to learn a little about the Zips last two opponents.  Based on what I saw, I think the Zips have a chance in these last two games.  The one issue that I will predict i is that Akron needs to be ready to play the final two games on the road.  After this season, it could be a challenge.  

Go Zips!!

We've had a chance all season outside of OU. This team competes, and I don't see that changing. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

We've had a chance all season outside of OU. This team competes, and I don't see that changing. 

Good post. One doesn't have to watch every second of the team to understand their problems. There are two major problems. 

1. Talent. Regardless of how hard a kid competes, if the base talent isn't there it's extremely difficult to win. 

2.  Details. Turnovers kill and they commit too many. Too much bumbling around. It's losing football. 

Get talented kids who are detail oriented. 

A coach can change the players or he can change the players. Joe M needs to change the talent rapidly this off season. He also needs to change the bumblers.

No matter how hard they play, another 1 win season next year will signal the end of the Joe M era at Akron. The stench of failure is hard to wash off and change has to happen soon. 

46 minutes ago, GP1 said:

The stench of failure is hard to wash off and change has to happen soon. 

Indeed, but we significantly out kicked our coverage in landing JoeMo. If he can’t turn around this program, who can?

I’ve posted more in detail about this in other threads, but considering the competiveness in conference play this year,    We are probably about a dozen players away from 6-6 next year, and based on how the staff has recruited this cycle, they know it. Thank God for the transfer portal.

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Indeed, but we significantly out kicked our coverage in landing JoeMo. If he can’t turn around this program, who can?

I’ve posted more in detail about this in other threads, but considering the competiveness in conference play this year,    We are probably about a dozen players away from 6-6 next year, and based on how the staff has recruited this cycle, they know it. Thank God for the transfer portal.

Is it even that many? 

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Agreed and I dont know. 

It's time for the players to turn the program around is my main point. We need to bring in some players with less experience in failure than we currently have. If the choice is a Transfer Portal player from a losing program vs a winning program, the winning program player gets the scholarship. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Has anyone been able to closely watch Cam Threatt?  Do his problems look physical, mental, technical? Does he look like coaching, or an increasing familiarity with our defensive scheme, could fix his problems?

@catdaddyp

Some more mass would help. Would like to see him get up to 185ish. Besides that, he has everything needed physically to be a really good corner. I suspect we’ll see a different version of him next year after an offseason with the staff and S&C program. I can’t speak to his mental state. His technique should improve as he gets stronger and gains more experience.

I don’t think we’ve seen Threatt since he missed an open field tackle that led to a touchdown, but I can’t remember who against.