Your 2022-23 Zips MAC Prediction

clarkwgriswold

With only the Concord game (scrimmage) left in the OOC schedule and varying degrees of concern after the Bradley loss, I am curious as to everybody's prediction for the Zips MAC regular season.

On the positive side, the MAC does not appear to be very strong this year.  There's no team that's blown me away in the OOC schedule.  On the down side, as much as I hate to say it, I think this is a below average Groce Zips team.  There is talent there, but losing Dawson, Ali and Bandaogo hurt.  If Hunter comes around and Tavari develops as he should, that will go a long way to filling that talent gap.  I have more faith in that happening with Tavari than Hunter at this point.

I am predicting a season similar to last year's, with 5 or 6 losses and a 3rd or 4th place finish.  Unfortunately, I think the team at the top are the video producers from Brimfield.   

I'm bored, so here's my game by game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty pessimistic after that beatdown yesterday but the MAC is not good:

vs. NIU  W (1-0)                

@ Ball State L (1-1)

@ BGSU W (2-1)

vs EMU W (3-1)

@ CMU W (4-1)

@ WMU W (5-1)

vs Miami W (6-1)

vs Ohio W (7-1)

@ Buffalo L (7-2)

vs Kent W (8-2)

vs Toledo W (9-2)

@ Ohio  L (9-3)

@ EMU L (9-4)

vs Buffalo W (10-4)

@ Toledo L (10-5)

vs WMU W (11-5)

vs Ball State W (12-5)

@ Kent L (12-6)

12-6 should have us in the top 3-4.  The schedule is set up for some confidence building (or destroying?) matchups early.  Hopefully we start out well, the kids grow up and we have a healthy 8-9 man rotation come February.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm bored, so here's my game by game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty pessimistic after that beatdown yesterday but the MAC is not good:

vs. NIU  W (1-0)                

@ Ball State L (1-1)

@ BGSU W (2-1)

vs EMU W (3-1)

@ CMU W (4-1)

@ WMU W (5-1)

vs Miami W (6-1)

vs Ohio W (7-1)

@ Buffalo L (7-2)

vs Kent W (8-2)

vs Toledo W (9-2)

@ Ohio  L (9-3)

@ EMU L (9-4)

vs Buffalo W (10-4)

@ Toledo L (10-5)

vs WMU W (11-5)

vs Ball State W (12-5)

@ Kent L (12-6)

12-6 should have us in the top 3-4.  The schedule is set up for some confidence building (or destroying?) matchups early.  Hopefully we start out well, the kids grow up and we have a healthy 8-9 man rotation come February.

3 of those first 4 away games are against bad teams, although I think WMU can be dangerous.  Perfect opportunity for Zips to lock down some road wins and gain confidence.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I say we go 11-7 with 2 losses to Kent. 1 loss to each of Toledo, Ball St, and Ohio. The other 2 losses with be to random cupcakes in the MAC on nights we can't buy a shot.

I think this in line with what I'm thinking.  If, by chance, we find some additional offense, then maybe we can add another game to the win total.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:22 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

With only the Concord game (scrimmage) left in the OOC schedule and varying degrees of concern after the Bradley loss, I am curious as to everybody's prediction for the Zips MAC regular season.

On the positive side, the MAC does not appear to be very strong this year.  There's no team that's blown me away in the OOC schedule.  On the down side, as much as I hate to say it, I think this is a below average Groce Zips team.  There is talent there, but losing Dawson, Ali and Bandaogo hurt.  If Hunter comes around and Tavari develops as he should, that will go a long way to filling that talent gap.  I have more faith in that happening with Tavari than Hunter at this point.

I am predicting a season similar to last year's, with 5 or 6 losses and a 3rd or 4th place finish.  Unfortunately, I think the team at the top are the video producers from Brimfield.   

Spot on. We may have to start referring to you as the Sage of ZipsNation.

• Like 1

Everyone keeps lumping CMU in as a “bad” team but they seem to be a team that plays poorly against lesser teams but rises to the level of their opponent when they see it as an opportunity.

They are 1-1 against the B1G this year with an 8 point loss and an upset win in Ann Arbor.... if the Zips don’t play well more consistently the trip to Mount Pleasant may not be pleasant at all.

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Everyone keeps lumping CMU in as a “bad” team but they seem to be a team that plays poorly against lesser teams but rises to the level of their opponent when they see it as an opportunity.

They are 1-1 against the B1G this year with an 8 point loss and an upset win in Ann Arbor.... if the Zips don’t play well more consistently the trip to Mount Pleasant may not be pleasant at all.

To add, I'm pretty sure they beat Michigan without their leading scorer as well.