Game 25- Ohio

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head out to Athens Friday to face OU.  It is a 7:30 game on the CBS Sports Network.

The Zips beat the Bobcats by 6 at the JAR on 1/28.   As you will recall, Enrique ate Dwight Wilson's lunch, scoring 32 points and pulling down 15 boards.  OU scoring in that game was very balanced with 4 players scoring between 14 and 16 points.  As you may recall, they were down 17 at half to the Zips and rallied to get the final deficit back to 6.

OU currently stands at 13-11/5-6.  They've won two in a row against Miami in Athens and at DeKalb.  Wilson continues to lead scoring at 15.9 ppg while pulling down 9.7 rpg.   They are third in the MAC in offense and 5th in defense.   

Edited by clarkwgriswold

X has come such a long way in his career at Akron. After a nearly invisible performance at Ohio State to start it, a few games of not even shooting the ball more than 2-3 times, and a fair share of no-shows, he came on strong at the right time last year and hasn't missed a beat. The best thing about the clip of the Kent players running over to the students to taunt them last year was the shot that X took at the buzzer. At the time, I was mortified and embarrassed that he was taking that shot. Now, there's nobody else I'd rather have the ball. 

From the jump this year against SDSU, you could see he looked a lot different. He plays even harder, much more vocal as a leader, and he does all he can to give the Zips a shot at winning. He's even one of the best in the country at drawing fouls. Props to X. A short UA career, but a memorable one.

Tying it into this one, he didn't have his best showing in Athens last year. Just 1-6 from the floor. But much like other games down the stretch, it was a total team effort in Athens. 5 Zips scored in double figures and Clarke added 9, and they silenced the Convo. This year, the Bobcats are far less talented, but have been really really good at home. Primetime on a Friday makes that even more difficult. Ball State was a major challenge with X being out, this Friday roadie will be a challenge due to the rivalry. Boals will have them ready to play, and I would expect adjustments on how they play Freeman. Can't rely on him for everything. We need to see Hank continue to step up and play with some confidence, and Sammy needs to get back in a groove. He was very hesitant on Tuesday night. Akron is undoubtedly the better team, but that doesn't matter in an environment like this. Get back to weathering the storm, there will be plenty. 

27 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

X has come such a long way in his career at Akron. After a nearly invisible performance at Ohio State to start it, a few games of not even shooting the ball more than 2-3 times, and a fair share of no-shows, he came on strong at the right time last year and hasn't missed a beat. The best thing about the clip of the Kent players running over to the students to taunt them last year was the shot that X took at the buzzer. At the time, I was mortified and embarrassed that he was taking that shot. Now, there's nobody else I'd rather have the ball. 

From the jump this year against SDSU, you could see he looked a lot different. He plays even harder, much more vocal as a leader, and he does all he can to give the Zips a shot at winning. He's even one of the best in the country at drawing fouls. Props to X. A short UA career, but a memorable one.

Tying it into this one, he didn't have his best showing in Athens last year. Just 1-6 from the floor. But much like other games down the stretch, it was a total team effort in Athens. 5 Zips scored in double figures and Clarke added 9, and they silenced the Convo. This year, the Bobcats are far less talented, but have been really really good at home. Primetime on a Friday makes that even more difficult. Ball State was a major challenge with X being out, this Friday roadie will be a challenge due to the rivalry. Boals will have them ready to play, and I would expect adjustments on how they play Freeman. Can't rely on him for everything. We need to see Hank continue to step up and play with some confidence, and Sammy needs to get back in a groove. He was very hesitant on Tuesday night. Akron is undoubtedly the better team, but that doesn't matter in an environment like this. Get back to weathering the storm, there will be plenty. 

Didn't Ali Ali go off in Athens last year?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

They will try and follow Toledo's game plan but likely don't have the personnel to pull it off?  Toledo's plan:  hack, push, grab, touch, double, trip, straddle, nudge, shoulder, bump Xavier and Freeman to death until the officials tell you to stop.  The officials went along with the plan.

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't Ali Ali go off in Athens last year?

Yes, had like 19 in the first half and started the 2nd half with a beauty of a turnaround jumper. Didn't do much after that. Zips led by 20 at the break and I didn't move a muscle on my couch to jinx it. They were pounding them til BVP and Tommy Schmuck hit a bunch of 3s in the final minutes. Awesome win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Bobcats have a couple of freshmen that impressed me, AJ Brown and Elmore James (who played at Brush).

I suspect Boals won't leave Wilson on an island guarding Enrique tonight again.  Wilson is a very nice player, but his lack of lateral quickness hurts him on the defensive end.

Not to mention it led to Wilson fouling out last time.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the Zips respond after the loss on Tuesday.  They didn't play badly, they just did not play well enough to beat a Toledo team that seems to always shoot well at the JAR.  I would like to see Groce do what he did in the Kent game, have a set play go to Freeman or X that will result in an easy shot to get the lid off the basket.  Against Toledo we had another slow start and it helped cost us the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Bobcats have a couple of freshmen that impressed me, AJ Brown and Elmore James (who played at Brush).

I suspect Boals won't leave Wilson on an island guarding Enrique tonight again.  Wilson is a very nice player, but his lack of lateral quickness hurts him on the defensive end.

Elmore James has an NBA body.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

It will be interesting to see how the Zips respond after the loss on Tuesday.  They didn't play badly, they just did not play well enough to beat a Toledo team that seems to always shoot well at the JAR.  I would like to see Groce do what he did in the Kent game, have a set play go to Freeman or X that will result in an easy shot to get the lid off the basket.  Against Toledo we had another slow start and it helped cost us the game.

That first half was one of Enrique's worst in some time.  He just seemed to be out of sorts.  It will be interesting to see how Ohio decides to defend him tonight.