Game 26- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

16 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

We win by 27 and I’ve never felt so whelmed. EMU is just so bad I can’t judge how the team did. We had great rebounding and shots started to fall again in the 2nd half but how much of that was just EMU playing poor defense?

after my meltdown earlier, Zips have the biggest scoring margin of the night in the MAC

1 minute ago, Reslife4Life said:

Didn’t get to watch or listen to the postgame tonight, was there any word on any we basically played without TJ, Kobe, and Amani?

I listened to a few moments.  Amani had a bruised back but was cleared to play.  No need to risk it.   Groce told Hunter he had a hunch about Nate and he would start.  as for the other two no mention that i heard.

Side note, the lead ref was the guy from the Akron/Kent game.  he let them play.  didn't call cheap fouls on X

Didn’t get to watch live so to the replay we go. Nice win. Dominating on the road is so fun. My disclaimer is that EMU is pathetic, and if you simply removed Bates and that disaster from the program, they would quite easily make it to Cleveland. The 1-2 punch of Farrakhan and Acuff can be pretty good, and those guys are fun to watch. Emoni is a bozo and is not a winner. Heath has ruined what was setup to be a nice foundation. 

As for the good guys, wow was that shot making hard to watch early. I feel the looks were there once again, and became more plentiful later on, but the finishing around the basket is terrible outside of Freeman. Clarke could have easily had 10+, Tribble with his usual misses, Nate with a few misses, Hankerson and Sammy should’ve had a few more. Blah. But the O was humming to a point where that was not the end of the world. 

We’re starting to get to a point with Nate where we can possibly consider him as an “important” contributor. Basically, he is beginning to do what I would’ve expected from Sammy, and Sammy is contributing what I thought we’d get from Nate. Nate picks his spots very well, hustles at both ends, takes and makes good shots. Sign me up. He’s in his first year of eligibility, and is about 1.5 years ahead of what Dawson’s production was at this point in his own career. 

X was damn good. You’ll have some off nights shooting, but he still did so much. Hankerson continues to learn how to play winning basketball. Taking great shots nearly every time, and starting to pick spots to take the ball to the hoop. 

Great to see the guys closing out on shooters again. And great to see them playing the back cut or cutting off the cutters. Thank you “Basketball Gods” for the R&R trip to EMU. Let’s make it look like last year all over again. Go Zips!

I find it simply staggering that there are so many folks on the EMU board that feel Bates and his whole situation isn't an issue and that the team would be far worse without him. It blows my mind. Trimble didn't have nearly the negative impact here that Bates does at EMU, and it was still an understandable, yet difficult, decision to kick him to the curb and go from there. 

Like, awesome, he hit a few contested step-back 3s in a couple of their 5 wins with him playing this year. Last night, he missed no fewer than 4 of those alone. And then he went 1-fer against Akron and quit in the middle of the game. I've been rooting against the Eagles all year and will continue to. Stan Heath is a bum, Bates is a bum, and that program doesn't deserve to compete for a title in Cleveland. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigzipguy said:

I am listening to this game off of the EMU website. Three times tonight, and I am not kidding, the announcer  for the eagles has call Kent State GOLDEN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned on the second half in time to hear the female announcer talking about Santiago looking so good in warmups shooting with his left hand with a cast in his right and maybe becoming ambidextrous. The guy is left handed. 🙄

Edited by ewbrooman1

18 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Emani is showing some improvement.  He went 1 for 9 jacking up three pointers against us.  He went 1 of 8 jacking up 3 pointers against Kent.  Why was that a national game of the week?

This is all about Emoni Bates.  He must have some agents making calls.  But...geez...diminishing returns.  Ohio and CMU would have been better.

Happy to be on espn3 Saturday night at 7

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

EMU is one of the biggest embarrassments in the MAC that I can ever remember. They made headlines when they landed that clown. 6-21. Absolutely pathetic. Some of the worst MAC teams I’ve ever seen have won more. 

a friend, who is pretty much a casual fan, who was at the EMU game at the JAR even said to me..."the other team just gave up."  Maybe Heath has a big pay out in his contract?  Can't imagine his coaching again after this stint.

10 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

EMU is one of the biggest embarrassments in the MAC that I can ever remember. They made headlines when they landed that clown. 6-21. Absolutely pathetic. Some of the worst MAC teams I’ve ever seen have won more. 

Won more with much less talent.  EMU has some talent, but between Emoni's selfish game and Heath's ineptitude, they've become a laughingstock.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

• 2 weeks later...