Game 2 - Morgan State

GoZips86

21 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

DJI

It cannot be DJI unless he somehow gets Henry Rowengartner's tight arm tendons. His arm is done. The throws we saw in the Temple game are what I expect from Undercuffler. DJ's arm last year was lively and strong. It's just not there after the surgeries, and we need to pivot quickly to Tahj make sure he's ready to compete for Kentucky, Indiana, and the MAC portion of the schedules. 

15 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It cannot be DJI unless he somehow gets Henry Rowengartner's tight arm tendons. His arm is done. The throws we saw in the Temple game are what I expect from Undercuffler. DJ's arm last year was lively and strong. It's just not there after the surgeries, and we need to pivot quickly to Tahj make sure he's ready to compete for Kentucky, Indiana, and the MAC portion of the schedules. 

I’m guessing that progressing to the second string QB means that a freshman you would rather redshirt becomes the backup.  I’m guessing Joe would prefer to avoid that.

5 minutes ago, KentZip said:

I’m guessing that progressing to the second string QB means that a freshman you would rather redshirt becomes the backup.  I’m guessing Joe would prefer to avoid that.

Undercuffler would become the backup. 

Furthermore, the last thing I care about is eligibility for players. I care about wins. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

44 minutes ago, KentZip said:

In 2023, redshirting is an antiquated idea. It has been for over a decade now. Player attrition, voluntarily or involuntary, needs to made up by ready to play freshmen. QBs, and most others skill players, come to college better prepared than ever. Some even graduate HS early in order to participate in spring practice. If the second best QB is a freshman, than that's the spot you put him.

Edited by GP1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

In 2023, redshirting is an antiquated idea. It has been for over a decade now. Player attrition, voluntarily or involuntary, needs to made up by ready to play freshmen. QBs, and most others skill players, come to college better prepared than ever. Some even graduate HS early in order to participate in spring practice. If the second best QB is a freshman, than that's the spot you put him.

A-freaking-men, GP1. 

• Thanks 1

Unrelated to FB in particular, but today was University of Akron day at the Guardians vs. Rays game. According to Willy Kollman, it was the largest college day of the season there. 700 Zips attended. With a special ticket package, you received a Guardians hat with an Akron logo on the side, and a pregame reception area. President Miller threw out the first pitch. I was blown away by how many people came out, and it felt really good to see after that stinker in Philly yesterday. I’m pumped for Saturday, getting this fanbase and community back together again. Home games are so important as the MAC fanbases dwindle year after year. This program needs to make the most of them now more than ever. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Unrelated to FB in particular, but today was University of Akron day at the Guardians vs. Rays game. According to Willy Kollman, it was the largest college day of the season there. 700 Zips attended. With a special ticket package, you received a Guardians hat with an Akron logo on the side, and a pregame reception area. President Miller threw out the first pitch. I was blown away by how many people came out, and it felt really good to see after that stinker in Philly yesterday. I’m pumped for Saturday, getting this fanbase and community back together again. Home games are so important as the MAC fanbases dwindle year after year. This program needs to make the most of them now more than ever. 

Unfortunately this is false. Most special ticket packages came with the hat. None of my 8 tickets came with a hat. Per a conversation with a fan services member, they apparently "sold out" of the hat on Aug. 17th. I pointed out the verbiage on the special ticket package, which failed to mention that the hat is "while supplies last" apparently. Total BS, as we were unable to make the pre game reception (it takes quite a bit longer to get to the game when you have two little kids that need to walk on every ledge, jump over every crack in the pathway, etc - who knew), and the hat was something I was very much looking forward to; it's a SWEET hat. 

Glad to hear the Akron special ticket attendance was huge. Beautiful day and the air show as secondary entertainment is always awesome (although the in-game entertainment department for the Guardians failed to play Danger Zone a single time). We need football attendance to reflect the momentum that seems to be building with the program and university. 

Morgan State entered the FCS Power Rankings as number 25 based upon their upset of Richmond and moved up to number 4 in the HBCU football power rankings.  They were also named the FCS National Team of the Week.  They limited Richmond to 264 yards of offense, forced four turnovers and had five sacks.

As for DJ, I wonder if Moorhead is seeing something different/better in practice or if he just has loyalty to him based upon the fact that he stuck around through the transition and has been a good leader for the program.

Football is a funny game. Had the Zips scored one more TD on Saturday, I would probably be flying high and expecting a 4TD minimum blowout this week. Literally, DJ just has to put it on the money on an easy toss to Bobby Golden and everything would change. Now, I'm having some doubts. I would be shocked if Akron loses to Morgan State, but not shocked if it's within a couple scores. That doesn't make me feel very good. It's almost like the team overachieved in playing so close last year that all of a sudden I'm instantly expecting them to win and win big every week. That NIU game last year messed with my head.

I had high expectations coming into this year, and this team really did deliver in just about every aspect outside of QB play. Playcalling was fine, but could have been much better. So when you put all of that together, alarms aren't quite being set off yet. Now if you're 1-3 and trailing Buffalo by a couple scores in the second half, as I said the other day, we may be in some trouble.

ESPN's Bill Connelly came up with a rating system known as SP+. Every week, the teams are ranked by their rating and he determines a score of the game based on that rating. Last week, it predicted Temple (107) win 31-20. This week, it has Akron (123) winning 28-17. I guess any win is a win, but I'd like to see the guys play loose and comfortable with the lead. And I'd like to see them get guys like Bullock, Anderson, and Lingard more involved. If the OL is this much improved, use them!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

ESPN's Bill Connelly came up with a rating system known as SP+. Every week, the teams are ranked by their rating and he determines a score of the game based on that rating. Last week, it predicted Temple (107) win 31-20. This week, it has Akron (123) winning 28-17. 

I'll take the over again, even though it didn't work out last week. 34-20 Zips. Regardless of who plays, or doesn't.

Edited by ZippyRulz

Uh, oh. Just watched Zips Weekly and, to me, it doesn't sound like we've got a QB.  DJ's obviously not 100%... we'll just leave it at that... yet the staff doesn't seem confident in allowing Tahj to throw the ball.  When asked to comment on Tahj, JoeMo just said that (my paraphrase) yes, he's got a rocket for an arm, but they're still working on his accuracy & to only expect to see him in certain short-yardage situations.  No other QB's were even mentioned by Joe Dunn, let alone saw any PT last week when the offense clearly needed a 2nd-half kick start.  We might be in a bit of trouble 🫠

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Uh, oh. Just watched Zips Weekly and, to me, it doesn't sound like we've got a QB.  DJ's obviously not 100%... we'll just leave it at that... yet the staff doesn't seem confident in allowing Tahj to throw the ball.  When asked to comment on Tahj, JoeMo just said that (my paraphrase) yes, he's got a rocket for an arm, but they're still working on his accuracy & to only expect to see him in certain short-yardage situations.  No other QB's were even mentioned by Joe Dunn, let alone saw any PT last week when the offense clearly needed a 2nd-half kick start.  We might be in a bit of trouble 🫠

One way to help the quarterback is to run the football and it seems we have the horses to be able to do that this year. Lingard and Anderson averaged 4.5 yards per carry between the two of them. Someone will eventually emerge at quarterback. Let’s hope it’s sooner than later. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

jump-off.gif

• Haha 2

Regardless of the Richmond game, Morgan State is a mediocre 1-AA program (at best). We'll beat them handily.

With Irons' long injury layoff, and the lack of contact in summer camp, I think he was both rusty and skittish. And we still almost won.

The Zips will romp this week...Irons will get back on track...I'll have too many Oktoberfests in Lot 9...and we'll move on to Kentucky...where I'll be attending along with my wife. 

If there are any Zips-Lexington tailgate parties going on...besides mine...feel free to PM me.

Night time kickoffs = a full afternoon of tailgating on back-to-back Saturdays! 

campervan.gifbeerbang.gifdrink2.gif

• Like 4