Week 4 (Indiana) Thoughts

catdaddyp

Busy weekend, so just some notes off the top of my head.

- This team talks way too much to the opposing team and to opposing fans. It’s a sign of being undisciplined and it came back to bite us in crucial situations. That needs to be cleaned up.

- Outside of the two interceptions, Irons was the best he’s looked this season. He moved around well in the pocket, was able to push the ball downfield, and his scrambling ability was a difference maker.

- Most of the pressure came from the right side of the OL between K. Davis and N. Williams. Williams struggled mightily against the speed of Indiana’s edge rushers.

- The DTs did a great job all game keeping the OL off the linebackers. McCoy, Fish, and Cooper were routinely running free to the ball.

- There were several option plays Indiana ran that would have gashed us last year, but the athleticism and discipline of our DEs and LBs stood out.

- Speaking of the LBs, McCoy had a standout performance with 12 total tackles and seemed to always be around the ball.

- The red zone and goal line stands by the defense were incredibly impressive. DT Kyle Thomas was stout in that area again.

- Good for Andrew Behm. I’ve been critical of his play and it was nice to see him snag the interception.

- KJ Martin had one of his best games as a Zip. Too bad he dropped an interception that could have iced the game.

- Special Teams once again created another turnover. Unfortunately, once again missed at least one field goal, which was another missed opportunity for this team.

- The identity of this offense has to be to run the football first. Lingard saw his most touches with 14 attempts and produced 113 yards and a touchdown. He was close to breaking a few other runs. I’ll continue to say it, give him the ball. Between the running ability of Irons/Bullock and Lingard/Anderson, is what will keep the offense on the field and eventually open up more one on one deep ball opportunities. It will also limit turnovers.

- Total Yardage: 

Akron = 474

Indiana = 282

- Time of Possession:

Akron = 34:24

Indiana = 25:36

This team could be 3-1 or 0-4. Instead, we’re 1-3 heading into MAC play. I thought the team would have turned the corner by now, but we are still fighting some of the same issues of finishing games with 2 losses of a combined 5 points. Sooner or later this group will put it all together. 

Side note: Blanchard went out with what looked like a knee injury and did not return. 

QB - Irons (Bullock) (Undercuffler)

RB - Lingard (Anderson)

WR - Gathings (Walker)

WR - Adams (Golden)

WR - George (Norton)

TE - Banks (Newell)

LT - Blanchard (Chambers)

LG - Frank (Kilbane)

C - T. Williams

RG - K. Davis (Kilbane)

RT - Chambers (N. Williams)

DE - R. Johnson (Adler)

DT - Lavea (K. Thomas)

DT - T. Jones (Robinson)

DE - Nunnally (A. Smith) (L. Jackson)

LB - Fish (Behm)

LB - Cooper (McCoy)

NB - C. Thomas (Lewis)

CB - Hunter (Durant)

CB - Tallandier (Golden-Nelson)

S - KJ Martin (C.Thomas)

S - N. Thompson (C. Thomas)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs down 1

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Busy weekend, so just some notes off the top of my head.

- This team talks way too much to the opposing team and to opposing fans. It’s a sign of being undisciplined and it came back to bite us in crucial situations. That needs to be cleaned up.

- Outside of the two interceptions, Irons was the best he’s looked this season. He moved around well in the pocket, was able to push the ball downfield, and his scrambling ability was a difference maker.

- Most of the pressure came from the right side of the OL between K. Davis and N. Williams. Williams struggled mightily against the speed of Indiana’s edge rushers.

- The DTs did a great job all game keeping the OL off the linebackers. McCoy, Fish, and Cooper were routinely running free to the ball.

- There were several option plays Indiana ran that would have gashed us last year, but the athleticism and discipline of our DEs and LBs stood out.

- Speaking of the LBs, McCoy had a standout performance with 12 total tackles and seemed to always be around the ball.

- The red zone and goal line stands by the defense were incredibly impressive. DT Kyle Thomas was stout in that area again.

- Good for Andrew Behm. I’ve been critical of his play and it was nice to see him snag the interception.

- KJ Martin had one of his best games as a Zip. Too bad he dropped an interception that could have iced the game.

- Special Teams once again created another turnover. Unfortunately, once again missed at least one field goal, which was another missed opportunity for this team.

- The identity of this offense has to be to run the football first. Lingard saw his most touches with 14 attempts and produced 113 yards and a touchdown. He was close to breaking a few other runs. I’ll continue to say it, give him the ball. Between the running ability of Irons/Bullock and Lingard/Anderson, is what will keep the offense on the field and eventually open up more one on one deep ball opportunities. It will also limit turnovers.

- Total Yardage: 

Akron = 474

Indiana = 282

- Time of Possession:

Akron = 34:24

Indiana = 25:36

This team could be 3-1 or 0-4. Instead, we’re 1-3 heading into MAC play. I thought the team would have turned the corner by now, but we are still fighting some of the same issues of finishing games with 2 losses of a combined 5 points. Sooner or later this group will put it all together. 

Side note: Blanchard went out with what looked like a knee injury and did not return. 

QB - Irons (Bullock) (Undercuffler)

RB - Lingard (Anderson)

WR - Gathings (Walker)

WR - Adams (Golden)

WR - George (Norton)

TE - Banks (Newell)

LT - Blanchard (Chambers)

LG - Frank (Kilbane)

C - T. Williams

RG - K. Davis (Kilbane)

RT - Chambers (N. Williams)

DE - R. Johnson (Adler)

DT - Lavea (K. Thomas)

DT - T. Jones (Robinson)

DE - Nunnally (A. Smith) (L. Jackson)

LB - Fish (Behm)

LB - Cooper (McCoy)

NB - C. Thomas (Lewis)

CB - Hunter (Durant)

CB - Tallandier (Golden-Nelson)

S - KJ Martin (C.Thomas)

S - N. Thompson (C. Thomas)

Agree that Moorehead must get out of his pass first philosophy for good. The O-line blocks better on the ground. The point about too much 'yapping' has never been addressed by a succession of coaches. Sit somebody's ass down if he does it. Still can't decide who the 'real' DJ Irons is.

No time for a letdown. Don't get cute on offense. You have 2 winnable home games coming up. Until they win a meaningful game they won't learn how to win.

• Like 1

This week's very very very painful advanced box score: https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401520256

This one will sting for a very, very long time. Obviously, the Michigan game 10 years ago would have been far more seismic, but this one felt so much different because this Akron team, in the 2nd half, finally began to show flashes of its potential. The defense could wind up being a unit that finishes in the top third of the MAC as far as overall effectiveness. They're starting to create some turnovers too. And a couple of the huge chunks of yardage they gave up on Saturday were on great deep balls by Jackson, both at Tallandier which could be something to keep an eye on. These linebackers are a joy to watch, imagine if Bubba was still here!

Offensively, though N. Williams had about 35 holding calls, I feel the OL did a nice job. Indiana didn't seem like they wanted to pressure the QB as much as most teams Akron plays, so DJ was able to stay in the pocket a little longer and make some throws. This was as close to the 2022 DJ that we have seen, for better or for worse. I still don't see him as a QB that is able to be aggressive and go out and win games with his arm, but his effectiveness running the ball was outstanding. If Jackson makes that kick, you'd probably give him the game ball. But DJ willed Akron to that position. Having an offense based on generating yardage through scrambling isn't what I want to see, but having that as a threat with the playmakers on this team could be huge.

When you give the ball to Lingard, good things happen. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. Every time he has the ball, he runs hard and finds space, like he's shot out of a cannon. You can see the 5* DNA he has. Same with Anderson, for that matter. Very disappointing that Adams dropped the big TD. Great throw, would have swung momentum like crazy.

Such a big coulda-woulda-shoulda. And I really feel for Jackson. He is a great kicker and punter and I was so bummed for him and the team when that kick went wide. It's just one of those funny intangible things--not knowing how to win. The second Bowden year saw quite a bit of that. Close losses to Louisiana and Michigan, close win against an FCS, and they looked awful the first few games of MAC play. The 2023 Zips are in a similar spot. They should be 2-2, funny enough with one of those losses to Morgan State.

I stand by what I said about Moorhead teams having some discipline issues. That happened at Mississippi State and it seems to be happening here as well. This teams does enough to shoot themselves in the foot during plays, getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Indiana proved to be costly. 

All in all, there were again so many self-inflicted wounds and this team still had an easy win and gave it away, on the road against a bad Big Ten team. You gotta win that game. I hope this is a better lesson in urgency than the close losses to Temple and MAC teams. It's time to start expecting to not only compete, but to WIN against teams who have similar talent.

They are a favorite over an FBS team for the first time since hosting Bowling Green in 2020. Before that, in 2019 they were 10-point favorites at UMass. Akron fans haven't walked through the gates of Infocision Stadium to see their Zips be a favorite over the visitors in nearly 5 calendar years. If ever there were a time to put up or shut up, it is now. Let's go 1-0 this week. Go Zips!

• Like 9

On 9/24/2023 at 9:01 AM, catdaddyp said:

The identity of this offense has to be to run the football first. Lingard saw his most touches with 14 attempts and produced 113 yards and a touchdown. He was close to breaking a few other runs. I’ll continue to say it, give him the ball. Between the running ability of Irons/Bullock and Lingard/Anderson, is what will keep the offense on the field and eventually open up more one on one deep ball opportunities. It will also limit turnovers.

I remember a wise coach saying "We have to learn how to win in the MAC." From what I have witnessed, I think you present a good formula for this years team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

This week's very very very painful advanced box score: https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401520256

This one will sting for a very, very long time. Obviously, the Michigan game 10 years ago would have been far more seismic, but this one felt so much different because this Akron team, in the 2nd half, finally began to show flashes of its potential. The defense could wind up being a unit that finishes in the top third of the MAC as far as overall effectiveness. They're starting to create some turnovers too. And a couple of the huge chunks of yardage they gave up on Saturday were on great deep balls by Jackson, both at Tallandier which could be something to keep an eye on. These linebackers are a joy to watch, imagine if Bubba was still here!

Offensively, though N. Williams had about 35 holding calls, I feel the OL did a nice job. Indiana didn't seem like they wanted to pressure the QB as much as most teams Akron plays, so DJ was able to stay in the pocket a little longer and make some throws. This was as close to the 2022 DJ that we have seen, for better or for worse. I still don't see him as a QB that is able to be aggressive and go out and win games with his arm, but his effectiveness running the ball was outstanding. If Jackson makes that kick, you'd probably give him the game ball. But DJ willed Akron to that position. Having an offense based on generating yardage through scrambling isn't what I want to see, but having that as a threat with the playmakers on this team could be huge.

When you give the ball to Lingard, good things happen. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. Every time he has the ball, he runs hard and finds space, like he's shot out of a cannon. You can see the 5* DNA he has. Same with Anderson, for that matter. Very disappointing that Adams dropped the big TD. Great throw, would have swung momentum like crazy.

Such a big coulda-woulda-shoulda. And I really feel for Jackson. He is a great kicker and punter and I was so bummed for him and the team when that kick went wide. It's just one of those funny intangible things--not knowing how to win. The second Bowden year saw quite a bit of that. Close losses to Louisiana and Michigan, close win against an FCS, and they looked awful the first few games of MAC play. The 2023 Zips are in a similar spot. They should be 2-2, funny enough with one of those losses to Morgan State.

I stand by what I said about Moorhead teams having some discipline issues. That happened at Mississippi State and it seems to be happening here as well. This teams does enough to shoot themselves in the foot during plays, getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Indiana proved to be costly. 

All in all, there were again so many self-inflicted wounds and this team still had an easy win and gave it away, on the road against a bad Big Ten team. You gotta win that game. I hope this is a better lesson in urgency than the close losses to Temple and MAC teams. It's time to start expecting to not only compete, but to WIN against teams who have similar talent.

They are a favorite over an FBS team for the first time since hosting Bowling Green in 2020. Before that, in 2019 they were 10-point favorites at UMass. Akron fans haven't walked through the gates of Infocision Stadium to see their Zips be a favorite over the visitors in nearly 5 calendar years. If ever there were a time to put up or shut up, it is now. Let's go 1-0 this week. Go Zips!

A lot of rehashing of a lot of rehashing. The coaches and players must treat the UB game as a 'must' win. Whether they are favored or not, they can't lose this one. Being favored doesn't get a win. This could be a trap game for Akron if they have a big let down early. Coaches can't let that happen. If they put up the offense numbers they put up against Indy, and they cut the TO's and stupidity. Lets see if last week was a mirage or if this team has finally arrived.

• Like 3

I know DJI isnt the most popular Zip, but I feel so bad for him. You can tell he REALLY wanted the win for him and the team and he did everything he could. Hes had a long career at Akron without much winning, I was hoping he could have the memory of going into a Big 10 stadium and winning. Too bad his kicker sucks. 

• Like 1

It was great seeing DJ dominate the game and obviously we should have won the game but being the Zips, I knew that we would miss the field goal and lose the game.   I am usually an optimist but I had the same feeling when the Zips were beating UCLA in basketball and somebody put up an analytic that we had a 98% chance of winning but I knew it just never seems to happen.  The same feeling when the Zips were beating a bad Ohio State team in an NIT basketball game in Columbus and we still managed to lose. 

However, for those long time Zips fans, I remember a game when we were in a hugh stadium and our quarterback was having an amazing game like DJ and we got the ball down to the one yard line to win the game with a minute left and we turned it over on downs or fumbled.  When the other team got possession they had a 99 yard pass play or run to seal the game.  Does anyone remember that game and can tell me who we played and name our quarterback?

• Like 1

For what it’s worth with Uk & IU the Zips lose, but win.The U of A  gets about $2 million.With those games they know what they have and don’t have mentality and physically.Physically the Zips can win the MAC but mentally maybe not.Play with confidence young people.Joe Mo should ask KD to speak to the players.

7 hours ago, monrowe said:

For what it’s worth with Uk & IU the Zips lose, but win.The U of A  gets about $2 million.With those games they know what they have and don’t have mentality and physically.Physically the Zips can win the MAC but mentally maybe not.Play with confidence young people.Joe Mo should ask KD to speak to the players.

Sure, the money is good for the university, but as a fan it takes away a lot for me personally. Like, it's an expectation as an Akron fan that I just need to expect 2 loses right out of the gate that could be potentially embarrassing and give some big school practice games essentially with easy wins that pad stats. Yeah, the university benefits from the money, but its depressing to think that the MAC is just a "whore" for lack of better terms lol. I dont know, I'm conflicted on this yearly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Sure, the money is good for the university, but as a fan it takes away a lot for me personally. Like, it's an expectation as an Akron fan that I just need to expect 2 loses right out of the gate that could be potentially embarrassing and give some big school practice games essentially with easy wins that pad stats. Yeah, the university benefits from the money, but its depressing to think that the MAC is just a "whore" for lack of better terms lol. I dont know, I'm conflicted on this yearly. 

There's a big difference in the pay games this year compared to the last few years IMO. I'll take these middling/low tier P5 programs every year as opposed to power houses. We should have had 1 win, and competed well with KY for 3Qs. Shows the players they can compete and hopefully gives them some confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

There is nothing to be conflicted about. They aren't whores for money.  MAC football programs are victims of a lack of vision from the Conference leadership to the athletic directors. Even the Sun Belt displays better vision for their league. 

13 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

However, for those long time Zips fans, I remember a game when we were in a huge stadium and our quarterback was having an amazing game like DJ and we got the ball down to the one yard line to win the game with a minute left and we turned it over on downs or fumbled.  When the other team got possession they had a 99 yard pass play or run to seal the game.  Does anyone remember that game and can tell me who we played and name our quarterback?

Kyle Pohl at Michigan

14 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

However, for those long time Zips fans, I remember a game when we were in a hugh stadium and our quarterback was having an amazing game like DJ and we got the ball down to the one yard line to win the game with a minute left and we turned it over on downs or fumbled.  When the other team got possession they had a 99 yard pass play or run to seal the game.  Does anyone remember that game and can tell me who we played and name our quarterback?

I think your details have lost some accuracy over time, but I’ll go with “Who is Charlie Frye against Wisconsin?” for $500, Alex.

Lee Evans pulled in the 99 yard TD pass after Dan Basch was stopped on 4th and goal at the 1. 

I thought about that play when Alex Adams dropped the sure-fire 99 yard TD Saturday night.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think your details have lost some accuracy over time, but I’ll go with “Who is Charlie Frye against Wisconsin?” for $500, Alex.

Lee Evans pulled in the 99 yard TD pass after Dan Basch was stopped on 4th and goal at the 1. 

I thought about that play when Alex Adams dropped the sure-fire 99 yard TD Saturday night.

Thanks Capt Kangaroo.  I looked at that game but we lost by 17 so I did not think that could be the game but the failure to score and then the 99 yard pass play would be a 14 point turnaround and they must have scored another time so it must not have been toward the very end of the game.  I just remember the Wisonconsin coach kept commenting how good Charlie Frye played that game.  The times Akron has been competitive with ranked teams at their stadiums are few and far between.  The one time we beat a ranked team was at the rubber bowl when we beat Marshall and they were carrying Lefkowich to the huddle because he had injured his leg.  We actually pulled that one out.    

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Thanks Capt Kangaroo.  I looked at that game but we lost by 17 so I did not think that could be the game but the failure to score and then the 99 yard pass play would be a 14 point turnaround and they must have scored another time so it must not have been toward the very end of the game.  I just remember the Wisonconsin coach kept commenting how good Charlie Frye played that game.  The times Akron has been competitive with ranked teams at their stadiums are few and far between.  The one time we beat a ranked team was at the rubber bowl when we beat Marshall and they were carrying Lefkowich to the huddle because he had injured his leg.  We actually pulled that one out.    

It was that game. Akron was down 3 when they turned it over on downs inside the 5 yard line, and the Evans TD was on the following play. Wisconsin scored one more time before the end of the game. 

An acceptable answer would also have been - vs. Cincinnati at the Rubber Bowl. The Zips had a chance to take the lead very late in the game and ran an end-around with Jeremy Bruce at the 2 yard line. UC blew it up...Bruce fumbled...and we lost shortly thereafter. Jacquemain was the QB.

I'm still pissed they called Jacq for an intentional grounding as we were moving the ball downfield in the final seconds. It essentially hit Biggs in the feet, yet the refs insisted no receiver was in the area. 😡

Lots of "close-but-no-cigars" over the years, for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

An acceptable answer would also have been - vs. Cincinnati at the Rubber Bowl. The Zips had a chance to take the lead very late in the game and ran an end-around with Jeremy Bruce at the 2 yard line. UC blew it up...Bruce fumbled...and we lost shortly thereafter. Jacquemain was the QB.

I'm still pissed they called Jacq for an intentional grounding as we were moving the ball downfield in the final seconds. It essentially hit Biggs in the feet, yet the refs insisted no receiver was in the area. 😡

Lots of "close-but-no-cigars" over the years, for sure.

Speaking of close but no cigars, I remember watching a late game in Hawaii to see if the Zips were invited to a bowl game.  The team we needed to win had a big lead and then completely blew the lead and the Zips were the only bowl eligable team not to go to a bowl.