at Cleveland State - October 10

1 hour ago, Reslife4Life said:

It’s so nice to be able to watch the game on TV again. Gotta keep shooting the ball

Yes it was. I haven’t been able to get down to the U this fall, and the new soccer TV package is a no-go for us. 

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I posted a couple threads ago asking if Shokalook is the greatest goal scorer in Akron history. I was told emphatically "no".

I am rephrasing my question/statement. 

Shokalook is the greatest goal scorer in my lifetime. 

You could be right. Why not him? He’s been unstoppable.

Shooky deserves all of the accolades...that he is getting..   He truly is on a special roll.

I wish that we could see a video of the first goal  (I know that I could go back and watch...but I am too lazy !!!)

One player that I want to recognize.......for a tremendous effort play...that really gave the zips a great deal of momentum tonight....is Will Jackson.

The zips scored their first goal off a corner kick.   It was not a good corner kick.  It was high and went flying past the goal.   Will Jackson made an incredible effort to keep the ball in play and headed it back toward the goal.     I think his header bounced off the cross bar.  Gyuwon Chong was able to fire off a shot that the GK got a hand on and hit back into the field.   Shooky was there for the rebound and got the zips on the scoreboard.

That goal does not happen without Will Jackson tracking the overstruck the ball and keeping it in play.   Will's efforts and instincts paid dividends for the zips.

Shooky was obviously great.     I think that Dyson Clapier also had a stellar game.    Before the corner kick(that resulted in the goal), Dice and Gyuwon did a a great job of playing 2 man ball...and Gyuwon fired off a hard shot that resulted in a corner kick.

On the 2nd goal, Dice showed great vision and great passing skill....and threaded a pass across the field.......to Stefan D.    Stefan D. then made a great pass to Shooky for the 2nd goal.     Dice completely opened up the field with the cross field pass.     Great game, Dice.

Stefan Dobrijevic continues to make a trmendous case for more playing time.     I also think that the coaches made a very wise decision at half time to bring Ashton Kamdem in as left back.     Ashton did a great job as left outside back and the zips were much more dangerous on the left side in the 2nd half.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I posted a couple threads ago asking if Shokalook is the greatest goal scorer in Akron history. I was told emphatically "no".

Shokalook is the greatest goal scorer in my lifetime

Not sure of your age.

Shook is on a barely believable scoring streak.  I cannot recall anything like it. I am not going to jinx this streak by downgrading his abilities.  I want him to keep doing what he is doing.  Again.  Again.  

I sure hope Joey Paulus is OK. 

That play occurred right in front of me. 

Defender punted Joey right in the temple. 

The ball was long gone.

It was dirty and intentionally injurious. 

It was Bullshit!

I want to know the identity of the CSU player who perpetrated that hit job.

It looked personal.

Anyone have video on that? 

This needs to be reviewed for possible disciplinary action.

I am still pissed off.

It should have been a straight Red Card, a Penalty Kick, followed by an ambulance ride.

We only got the ambulance ride.

Hang Tough, Joey!

ZipsNation loves you!

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Shokalook is the greatest goal scorer in my lifetime. 

In truth, there’s some on this forum that won’t ever think the modern day college soccer/Akron Zips will ever be as good as the ‘olden days’ (2009 and 2010). 

Shokalook is equal to any other forward the Zips has had in the past 15 years. None of Mattocks or Bunbury went on a 4 game run like this. Let’s keep it going. 

Impressive win for the zips tonight. One thing is for sure, AD Guthrie enjoyed the win in the bleachers. 

I hope Josef Paulus recovers from that hideous play.  

7 hours ago, YipaZip said:

In truth, there’s some on this forum that won’t ever think the modern day college soccer/Akron Zips will ever be as good as the ‘olden days’ (2009 and 2010). 

Shokalook is equal to any other forward the Zips has had in the past 15 years. None of Mattocks or Bunbury went on a 4 game run like this. Let’s keep it going.

I hope Josef Paulus recovers from that hideous play.  

Truth is that there is at least one poster on this forum (not me) who has seen a lot more Zips men's soccer than most of us and that goes well back past 2009 and 10. Before you gripe about someone's comments about greatest Zips scorer of all time, please dig up the Zips Men's soccer media guide that UA used to publish so that you can fairly compare players' accomplishments. Too many current fans want to ignore any accomplishments except for the players whom they know and have seen. I don't want to jinx Shooky either. He is having a great season, and I hope it continues for him. I'm sure he's among top Zips scorers and hope he will continue to climb that ladder.

Sorry to hear about Joey. I hope he is ok and fully recovers quickly. Thanks to those who kept me up to date last night while on this business trip and at a function where I was unable to watch. I appreciate the texts. Go Zips!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87

Pete Milich numbers are incredible....

31 goals and 13 assists in 14 games...

I love hearing people tell stories about watching George and Louie Nanchoff

Akron has been blessed to have some truly great players.  Number one overall draft pick Steve Zakuani.  What a career that he would have had...if he had not suffered a gruesome injury.  I believe that Teal Bunbury is in his 14th year in MLS.

Marcel Zajac still holds a special place in my heart as his goal scoring spree occurred in the NCAA tourney and it powered the zips all the way to the NCAA title game in 2018.

This article says that Pete Milich had 85 goals in his 4 year career.

They also played fewer games in his era (or he was injured???)...note 21 goals in only 10 games in 1962

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2011/6/2/2202239/macwood-squares-whos-the-greatest-akron-soccer-player-ever

Bottom line, Akron soccer is truly blessed right now to have Jason Shokalook....on a truly special roll.  It would be great if the soccer SID would do some research and share the record for multiple goals in consecutive games and number of goals record over a 4 game span.     Akron long time soccer fans have been blessed to see some great goal scorers....Milich, Zakuani, Bunbury, Mattocks.George and Louie Nanchoff, Jason Shokalook.    

• Like 2

IMHO Shookalook is doing several things well outside of scoring goals - his hold-up play has been excellent, smart passing, he finds nice pockets of space, and he's good in the air. Maybe most importantly, has a nose for goal, as they say.

So many other good performances. One person who doesn't always get the kudos is Buechte, who rarely puts a foot wrong and can be a tenacious defender when necessary. He put out a few fires last night. His passing and vision are excellent 

I was watching the game against the concrete wall in the first half and happened to be standing next to Joey's mom and other family members. Really nice people. I didn't quite see the knock he took, but the fact that he was motionless on the ground was horrible. My thoughts to him and his family and hope he has a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

Josef Paulus was not the only Zip accumulating scars last night.  Malik Henry went down to what appeared to be a left ankle injury.  By his reaction hobbling off the pitch, it appears significant.

Heal fast,  Malik.

ZipsNation is behind you 100%.

• Thanks 1