2023-2024 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

Mobley can score and will, she had foul troubles vs. Oakland.  Morgan Haney will be a scoring threat too, don't count either of these two out.  Riley was a little lost out there, tried to be too perfect, should have used the board more on the close in stuff.  My concern is how small our two point guards are.  a 5 footer, and a 5-2 will get eaten up in the MAC.  Rasheed seems to be the only one who wants to shoot a 3.  It's apparent too that Coach Gensler's offensive style is completely different than the game played under Coach Jacson, which was much more perimeter focused.  We'll see as the season proceeds but at least on TV they look more exciting than past seasons.

BG pulled out a win over Cleveland State.  They were down 4 with under a minute left and made a three to go one down.  CSU then missed two free throws and with under 10 seconds BG guard went the length of the floor and was fouled with a second or so left.  She made the first free throw to tie it.  She missed the second and CSU rebounded and immediately called timeout.  However, they didn't have a timeout so they were assessed a technical foul.  BG made the tech free throw to win the game.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

BG pulled out a win over Cleveland State.  They were down 4 with under a minute left and made a three to go one down.  CSU then missed two free throws and with under 10 seconds BG guard went the length of the floor and was fouled with a second or so left.  She made the first free throw to tie it.  She missed the second and CSU rebounded and immediately called timeout.  However, they didn't have a timeout so they were assessed a technical foul.  BG made the tech free throw to win the game.

It made SportsCenter.  And not in a good way if you're CSU.

23 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Mobley can score and will, she had foul troubles vs. Oakland.  Morgan Haney will be a scoring threat too, don't count either of these two out.  Riley was a little lost out there, tried to be too perfect, should have used the board more on the close in stuff.  My concern is how small our two point guards are.  a 5 footer, and a 5-2 will get eaten up in the MAC.  Rasheed seems to be the only one who wants to shoot a 3.  It's apparent too that Coach Gensler's offensive style is completely different than the game played under Coach Jacson, which was much more perimeter focused.  We'll see as the season proceeds but at least on TV they look more exciting than past seasons.

This program is in good hands. The change in leadership was needed and will pay off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZZZips said:

Reed Green Coliseum at Southern Miss is a 1965, concrete, perfectly round arena.  5 wood chair back sections.  About 70% of the seating is wood benches. Seating capacity is 8,000.

Can you find the main scoreboard in the pictures?

20231111_080428.thumb.jpg.7cb79de2e68cd3bcd0dd2249040092c9.jpg20231111_074637.thumb.jpg.031ef80c690d222b4df1cb08ac40fbae.jpg

Unfortunately this arena is still better than what we have in the JAR. Please contribute $60 M so we can have an arena deserving of this program. 

27 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Unfortunately this arena is still better than what we have in the JAR. Please contribute $60 M so we can have an arena deserving of this program. 

Took a small group with one newbie to the Southern Miss game last night. His very first comment after we survived the perilous climb up the rickety bleachers was, "This isn't a very nice arena."

😑

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I don't know. Looks like a lousy place to watch a game. Why design a round floor plan? They have to move the court closer to one side so at least some seats can be closer to the court. Reminds me of Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

27 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I don't know. Looks like a lousy place to watch a game. Why design a round floor plan? They have to move the court closer to one side so at least some seats can be closer to the court. Reminds me of Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

It seems like a charming older place but I agree, would get old quickly. Almost like watching a football game at a stadium with a track. Like EMU, Buffalo. 

On 11/7/2023 at 11:22 PM, zippy-claws said:

My concern is how small our two point guards are.  a 5 footer, and a 5-2 will get eaten up in the MAC.

Maybe, but in the past, I've seen a 5-4 point guard lead the country in assists & assists per game for the Lady Zips. 

And I've coached someone that wasn't even 5 feet. She was one of our program's most important players to winning a conference title and winning 20 games in a row two years ago at the varsity H.S. level. There are obvious limitations, but can also be an advantage in other areas. 

I think they will be most impactful on the defensive end. They're closer to the floor, so they're going to have a better chance for steals, deflections, and/or just making the ball-handler's day miserable. I believe the strength of this team will be the post players, particularly with Bass & Riley. 

Edited by mes102

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I didn't watch the game, but according to the article we outscored S.Miss by 3 in the 2nd half.  Lenae Riley led us in scoring with 13 points and was 3-of-3 from three-point range.

Zips started with an 8-0 run to cut it to 12 early in the 3Q, but were down 25 near end of 3Q. If that's a rally it fell way short. Not a surprising outcome considering the slow start and a young squad on the road against a good team. 

• Like 1

Hell of a gritty win to give Gensler the first, of hopefully many, of his HC career, 63-58 over Robert Morris in their education day game. Zips got into OT and really began to play well. Alexis Mobley with a sweet turnaround fadeway late in the shot clock with about 16 seconds left put the Zips up 3. Bass then stuffed a 3 pt. attempt and dribbled into the front court before the Zips were fouled with a little over a second to go. Hit both shots, ball game. 

• Like 4