The Battle for the Belt: Mac vs Sun Belt

csims0917

11 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

The Flag is for wins over power conferences. Will not be happy for Tod K either, nor would I expect any long time Zip fan to be. 

I was laughing when Toledo was down. When I saw they won, my only thought was, "It's the regular season which means it's Tod K's Super Bowl. Wonder how much he cheated in the offseason to eek out this important regular season win."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's a nice test, but the season will still come down to 3 days in March. The MAC is a complete joke this year. Even with a win we'd be 1-4 in Q1 & Q2 games. That won't get us a NIT bid, let a lone a NCAA at-large.

The NIT has now rigged it so virtually no school from a conference ranked lower than 9th or 10th will get in Unless they have 30 wins

7 minutes ago, GJGood said:

The NIT has now rigged it so virtually no school from a conference ranked lower than 9th or 10th will get in Unless they have 30 wins

Well I think we are into the NIT regardless unless we collapse and don’t win the league

19 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I'm slightly more optimistic than that, but mid-major slots will certainly be at much more of a premium than they were before.

I don’t see it.. maybe if we have no more than six to possibly seven losses overall and even then they would never give us a decent shot in order to cater to a specific six conferences.

The NIT changes this year have rendered the MAC regular season nearly meaningless. Given where they placed MAC schools the last two years my guess is now that they don’t have to take a regular season champ that they won’t. Maybe if Akron is a one or two loss in the MAC team including Cleveland on selection Sunday but that’s about the only way I see a MAC school in the NIT.

It is time for a truly worthy second tournament after the NCAA to be developed. The NIT has been biased for a long, long time, just ask Keith Dambrot, Romeo Travis, and Dru Joyce about being left out at 24-7 after a championship loss on a 32 foot bank shot.... but now they are really pushed it too far and even the NABC is upset and some power conference coaches are saying this isn’t right.

Edited by GJGood

45 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's a nice test, but the season will still come down to 3 days in March. The MAC is a complete joke this year. Even with a win we'd be 1-4 in Q1 & Q2 games. That won't get us a NIT bid, let a lone a NCAA at-large.

If Bradley keeps up their run, and we beat JMU, we'd be 2-4 in Q1 & Q2 games. 

The focus for this team is on the NCAA tourney. The NIT is as worthless as ever. What we're fighting for is the best seed possible in March, and that could be up near a 10-11 seed, or as low as a 13/14 seed depending on how we take care of the MAC. 3 & 2 pt losses to Utah State and UNLV - especially without Ali Ali - will carry weight with the committee.

Regardless, this is the best OOC schedule I've ever seen for Akron basketball. Beat the Dukes!

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

I don’t see it.. maybe if we have no more than six to possibly seven losses overall and even then they would never give us a decent shot in order to cater to a specific six conferences.

The NIT changes this year have rendered the MAC regular season nearly meaningless. Given where they placed MAC schools the last two years my guess is now that they don’t have to take a regular season champ that they won’t. Maybe if Akron is a one or two loss in the MAC team including Cleveland on selection Sunday but that’s about the only way I see a MAC school in the NIT.

It is time for a truly worthy second tournament after the NCAA to be developed. The NIT has been biased for a long, long time, just ask Keith Dambrot, Romeo Travis, and Dru Joyce about being left out at 24-7 after a championship loss on a 32 foot bank shot.... but now they are really pushed it too far and even the NABC is upset and some power conference coaches are saying this isn’t right.

There is no need for an additional tournament. The NIT just needs to be expanded to 48, like the women's tournament is set to be this year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If Bradley keeps up their run, and we beat JMU, we'd be 2-4 in Q1 & Q2 games. 

The focus for this team is on the NCAA tourney. The NIT is as worthless as ever. What we're fighting for is the best seed possible in March, and that could be up near a 10-11 seed, or as low as a 13/14 seed depending on how we take care of the MAC. 3 & 2 pt losses to Utah State and UNLV - especially without Ali Ali - will carry weight with the committee.

Regardless, this is the best OOC schedule I've ever seen for Akron basketball. Beat the Dukes!

10-11 seed would place us ahead of multiple at-large teams. That's not going to happen. Realistically the best that we can expect is a 13 seed.

The OOC schedule was solid, but we've lost to every quality opponent we faced. The bigger issue is the MAC is historically bad. The worst I've ever seen it. Using today's NET rankings, not a single MAC game that we have on our schedule would be classified as a Q1 or Q2 game. All 18 games would be Q3 & Q4. Historically speaking we're going to have a bad night and lose to one of these cupcakes. You have to go back 70+ years to find the last time a MAC team went undefeated during conference play.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1