Game 14- Bowling Green

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I gotta say, I sure am getting a chuckle out of all the bitching about a $10 ticket price and the athletics adminstration not schmoozing said cheap patrons. SMDH🫢

Nobody is asking the AD to "schmooze" anyone. I do find "cheap patrons" to be an interesting word choice, and part of the issue is I think that's how the administration views the people sitting in GA.

Different sport and situation, but one of my favorite trailblazers in sports is Jesse Cole, co-owner of the Savannah Bananas. He built his team's culture around the idea that every single fan that attends a Bananas game needs to have a great time. Because those people will come back. Those people will tell friends about how much they had. Those people will feel more connected to the team. And those people will be more likely to spend more of their money on the team in the future. 

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

How do you know?

Agreed but $10 parking probably doesn’t help GA sales.  

It's been mentioned on this site by several other members in addition to the issues with campus/athletic event parking in general.  The deck used to be free then $5 and now $10.  When I try to get friends and co-workers to games it is often mentioned as a reason not to go.  If you are looking for research data and parking polling numbers, I don't have it but when I go to games and see more and more empty seats each year it is probably part of the problem.  When people are griping about ticket prices it is not a stretch to think parking factors into the conversation.  I did modify my original post above.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Why are we comparing Akron to Wake Forest, a good ACC team with a legitimate arena that has hosted the NCAA Tournament multiple times? Do people there sit on old bleachers, some of which have an obstructed view of the game?

Part of marketing in knowing and being realistic about what you have to offer. Yes, $10 for any non-chair ticket is too much. Something like $7 would be a fair price. 

I find it quite hard to believe that there is an even slightly significant group of people that are willing to spend $7 but not $10 on a ticket. If you can't justify dropping a $10 bill, you probably aren't going if the tickets were free. Which gets back to the bigger problem, that there aren't enough fans that believe that a Zips basketball game is worth their time at any price. The struggle is increasing the value, not decreasing the cost.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

You can barely see the game going on from those seats. To watch them play Delaware State, NJIT, Presbyterian and Charleston Southern?

Going from $10 to $7 is meaningless. Going from $10 to $13 would be equally as meaningless. 

If going to $10 to $7 is meaningless, why do stores list things for $9.99 instead of $10?

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I gotta say, I sure am getting a chuckle out of all the bitching about a $10 ticket price and the athletics adminstration not schmoozing said cheap patrons. SMDH🫢

I can't believe there isn't a discussion about how to help lower bowl season ticket holders get their unused tickets to people who can attend the games. 

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I can't believe there isn't a discussion about how to help lower bowl season ticket holders get their unused tickets to people who can attend the games. 

This is a multifaceted issue, why can't both be discussed?

6 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

It's been mentioned on this site by several other members in addition to the issues with campus/athletic event parking in general.  The deck used to be free then $5 and now $10.  When I try to get friends and co-workers to games it is often mentioned as a reason not to go.  If you are looking for research data and parking polling numbers, I don't have it but when I go to games and see more and more empty seats each year it is probably part of the problem.  When people are griping about ticket prices it is not a stretch to think parking factors into the conversation.  I did modify my original post above.

Anyone who doesn't want to pay $10 to go to one game really doesn't want to go in the first place. The next time someone tells you that, you should come up with a polite way to tell them they are full of poop. 

9 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

If going to $10 to $7 is meaningless, why do stores list things for $9.99 instead of $10?

I don't know and I don't care. 

The first time I went to a Wake Forest football game with the luckiest woman in the world, Mrs. GP1, we bought two tickets and parked at the basketball area across the street from the stadium where single game ticket holders park. There was a huge line to get into the lot. When we got to the front, we realized they were charging $8.50 to park and it was taking the morons taking the money forever to make change because of the coins and singles. It was stupid beyond belief. My wife was livid at the stupidity and said she would gladly pay an extra $1.50 up to $10 to avoid the line. She didn't say they should round down to $5.00. 

Akron has a very good mid major basketball program, in a competitive conference with entertaining games. The prices they are changing are not unreasonable in the least. 

If you want cheap tickets and free parking, maybe high school games are more your speed. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

It's cheaper to go see OSU or Dayton MBB than Akron and I don't think it should be.

Ok, I looked it up. Yes for exhibitions and non conference in seats that would make it difficult to see which sport is being played. Everything else is more expensive. 

BTW, OSU is a terrible place to watch a basketball game. 

https://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio-state-to-set-mens-basketball-ticket-prices-for-2023-24-season/

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, Zippy87 said:

Nobody is asking the AD to "schmooze" anyone. I do find "cheap patrons" to be an interesting word choice, and part of the issue is I think that's how the administration views the people sitting in GA.

Different sport and situation, but one of my favorite trailblazers in sports is Jesse Cole, co-owner of the Savannah Bananas. He built his team's culture around the idea that every single fan that attends a Bananas game needs to have a great time. Because those people will come back. Those people will tell friends about how much they had. Those people will feel more connected to the team. And those people will be more likely to spend more of their money on the team in the future. 

Comparing Savannah Bannas to UA sports is not bolstering your argument. SB is a scripted theatrical production. The baseball version of the Harlem Globetrotters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

Maybe you weren't aware, but UA leased all the parking lots for an 8 figure payment. That money has been used to help get UA out from under the mountains of debt that Proenza and others racked up during their tenures. BTW, OSU did the exact same thing. 

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

Ok, I looked it up. Yes for exhibitions and non conference in seats that would make it difficult to see which sport is being played. Everything else is more expensive. 

BTW, OSU is a terrible place to watch a basketball game. 

https://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio-state-to-set-mens-basketball-ticket-prices-for-2023-24-season/

Resales for these games can be even cheaper - I saw UD/Umass tickets as low as $5 this morning 

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Comparing Savannah Bannas to UA sports is not bolstering your argument. SB is a scripted theatrical production. The baseball version of the Harlem Globetrotters. 

Sure, let's ignore a team (with an awful home field) who still sells out every game and had 10,000 people on their waiting list for Akron last year. Why look at others when we have the "Sub of the game" promotion to draw in everyone! 🙃

Nobody is asking the Zips to be the Bananas. As you said, very different in a lot of way. But any smart leader would look at what they're doing and be able to learn something from it.

Edited by Zippy87

7 hours ago, GP1 said:

100%.  Also, looking at letting people bank tix they can’t use for additional tix to another game.  We know we have the available seats.  

5 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Maybe you weren't aware, but UA leased all the parking lots for an 8 figure payment. That money has been used to help get UA out from under the mountains of debt that Proenza and others racked up during their tenures. BTW, OSU did the exact same thing. 

I saw the school worked with the County and the port authority (it has a new name now that escapes me) to sell about $85 or so million in bonds.  Part of that plan is outsourcing the management of the parking lots but I don’t think the U is getting an 8 figure payout from this.  If so, the parking deck fee will be a lot more than $10 moving forward.  They are planning to raise parking permits prices for the students so I hope the additional revenue outpaces enrollment issues.

As to the thread, the increased cost of parking may help the school (I hope it does) but I do think it probably hurts attendance.  When I cannot attend a game and give away my tix, the parking pass is always appreciated.  The Rubber Ducks offer free parking (or at least used to in the Roetzel deck across from Canal Park) so it is not unheard of.  

Lastly and unrelated, I love the Bananas and saw them twice when they came to Akron.  The dances and pranks are scripted but both the Bananas and Party Animals play to win.  The Animals actually won the series last year (and both games in Akron) so do not invoke the Washington Generals when discussing them.  

Go Zips!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

I saw the school worked with the County and the port authority (it has a new name now that escapes me) to sell about $85 or so million in bonds.  Part of that plan is outsourcing the management of the parking lots but I don’t think the U is getting an 8 figure payout from this.  If so, the parking deck fee will be a lot more than $10 moving forward.  They are planning to raise parking permits prices for the students so I hope the additional revenue outpaces enrollment issues.

As to the thread, the increased cost of parking may help the school (I hope it does) but I do think it probably hurts attendance.  When I cannot attend a game and give away my tix, the parking pass is always appreciated.  The Rubber Ducks offer free parking (or at least used to in the Roetzel deck across from Canal Park) so it is not unheard of.  

Lastly and unrelated, I love the Bananas and saw them twice when they came to Akron.  The dances and pranks are scripted but both the Bananas and Party Animals play to win.  The Animals actually won the series last year (and both games in Akron) so do not invoke the Washington Generals when discussing them.  

Go Zips!

Pretty sure the arrangement was a leaseback deal with the port authority. UA gets the cash, to pay off debt, the port authority gets all the  parking revenue via a long-term lease deal to pay back the bonds. The new parking operator is there to make sure the port authority gets all their revenue( minus their fee).

I've been to many Rubber Duck games and have always paid for parking. YMMV

Seriously? A guy for the SB's takes an at bat while on stilts!🤣

Edited by Hilltopper
Added context
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zip JD said:

100%.  Also, looking at letting people bank tix they can’t use for additional tix to another game.  We know we have the available seats.  

So, if someone has two lower bowl tickets and bank them, do they get their tickets and X more for a future game?