Game 22- Toledo

32 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This team has had issues facing pressure this season.  There are spots on the floor that you teach grade school kids not to get trapped in and this team seems to somehow fall prey into getting pressured into those areas.

Also, the perimeter defense lacks lateral quickness, maybe with the exception of Tavari and Thornton (who can get pushed around) to slow down the penetration.  Tribble bodies up to make up for it but others have issues.

The good news is these issues are fixable to some extent by better technique or adjustments I'm confident Groce and staff can make.  I did like the switches to the 1-3-1 at times last night, though Toledo did a good job of combatting it a couple of times.

💯

I do remember the 1-3-1 at times, but I think Freeman was already in foul trouble at that point. To your point, our guards need to do a better job of staying with the opposing player driving to the hoop. They need to be a buffer between them and Freeman (or any of our shot blockers). We have depth at guard. We can afford fouls to rack up on our guards if necessary. Let Freeman, Ali, Hunter, whomever jump and swat from a step behind the action. 

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

💯

I do remember the 1-3-1 at times, but I think Freeman was already in foul trouble at that point. To your point, our guards need to do a better job of staying with the opposing player driving to the hoop. They need to be a buffer between them and Freeman (or any of our shot blockers). We have depth at guard. We can afford fouls to rack up on our guards if necessary. Let Freeman, Ali, Hunter, whomever jump and swat from a step behind the action. 

Takes me back to the days of Zeke Marshall.  That guy really cleaned up for guys getting beaten to the basket.  He had 122 blocks his senior year for the Zips!

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

This was odd because the last published set of tiebreakers indicated two tied teams have head to head and then best record against the rest of the conference top to bottom. Toledo lost to third place CMU and Akron to 6th place Miami so Akron should have been top seed here. But it was released by the MAC who also have division tie breakers still included in those same procedures so take that for what it's worth. And for the moment it is all moot anyway.

That's not the real tiebreaker.

The real one is they have a calculation for which MAC Athletic Director can inflict the most damage to the institution they work for. The one that inflicts the most damage wins. 

The worst part of re-watching the game was listening to the homers talk about M&M’s. It really was 2 games in one. The last 12 minutes might have taken longer to play than the first 28 minutes with all of the stopage. I agree now with others that our half-court defense was very effective. Our problem was in transition. Tavari, who has made great strides was the biggest liability. Somebody needs to stop or at least slow down the Toledo ball handler. Once they get a head of steam Freeman is vulnerable to the floppers. That said, Freeman still got a double-double while spending much of the game on the bench and Dawson played to the standard he set 2 years ago. But this was ultimately Ali’s game. He just can’t give the refs an opportunity to kill our momentum with a technical. That goes for Tavari and Dawson as well. Oh, and breaking the press was a disaster. Painful to re-watch. 

Bring on CMU. Go Zips!!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

The worst part of re-watching the game was listening to the homers talk about M&M’s.

I was praying to the good Lord that he would choke on one, but par for the course for a Zips fan, my prayers weren't answered. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

After Ali got his tech he walked down towards the Toledo bench and appeared to be saying something or motioning towards them and Kowalczyk was whining at the refs to T him up again.  It was a pathetic display by old Tod.

Ali Ali needs to keep his mouth shut when it comes to the opponents' bench, but the refs need to officiate the bench behavior equally. BS is definitely being spewed by the benchwarmers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I have not read the MACs published tiebreakers, but I'm confused by your interpretation of "the best record against the rest of the conference top to bottom." How would a team losing to a 6th place team give them a better seed than the team they are tied with who lost to a 3rd place team. Shouldn't it be the opposite of what you explained?

I gave you the link, did you have other people do your homework at Akron too? 😉

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

Criteria A, Akron and Toledo had not played before Friday so no head to head record (Criteria B is the before mentioned no longer applicable division criteria).

So dropping down to criteria C Akron is 0-0 against 3rd place CMU while Toledo is 0-1. Therefore ipso facto Akron should have been top seed according to the published MAC criteria. But the Zips fixed this injustice on Friday anyway. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

Criteria A, Akron and Toledo had not played before Friday so no head to head record (Criteria B is the before mentioned no longer applicable division criteria).

So dropping down to criteria C Akron is 0-0 against 3rd place CMU while Toledo is 0-1. Therefore ipso facto Akron should have been top seed according to the published MAC criteria. But the Zips fixed this injustice on Friday anyway. 😊

Here is the simulator that considers all the tiebreakers:

https://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=mbb

17 hours ago, MDZip said:

Sorry, I did not recognize the underlined words in your original post as a link. Therefore ipso facto I did not read the link. Think your most recent explanation was much better than your first. In part because it was a long time ago, I don't really recall doing any homework while at Akron. Therefore ipso facto I don't recall asking anyone to do it for me. GO ZIPS.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Sorry, I did not recognize the underlined words in your original post as a link. Therefore ipso facto I did not read the link. Think your most recent explanation was much better than your first. In part because it was a long time ago, I don't really recall doing any homework while at Akron. Therefore ipso facto I don't recall asking anyone to do it for me. GO ZIPS.

Okay, so you weren't a bookworm but you did learn "ipso facto."