Game 25- Buffalo

That was a crazy last sequence.  Buffalo got 2 offensive rebounds and then there was a mad scramble for the ball and the Zips picked it up.  It seemed like both teams were waiting for a whistle and Dawson ran down the court for a pass and a layup.  His first points in 2 games.  

Prather was on the postgame and came across very well, as we would hope for a Zip.  From listening to him and Groce, he was the practice player of the week so they were looking to work him in, and that was ramped up when Dawson got in foul trouble.

Groce was not happy, especially with the first half and readily admitted it would be a long night Tuesday if the Zips play that kind of 20 minutes.  He praised Prather.  He also commented in Tavari's offense positively but said he wasn't nearly as good on defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched it again and it's amazing the physical abuse Freeman takes down low. I know we have talked about the offensive struggles and we do miss way too many open 3 pointers. But this was a road kill in the truest sense so kudos to the Zips. Very little of Scott and no Thornton in the second half. Prather really did make good use of his time out there. A bunch of good passes, rebounds and hustle plays. And Tavari was not in for the last 8 minutes or so. Tavari might be missing some of the details on defense the staff expects from him, but it appears he's putting in the effort and is in position. It must be that the team defense overall grades out poorly when he's on the court because the opposing teams do drive on him. He needs to get quicker and stronger this off-season.

11 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Just watched it again and it's amazing the physical abuse Freeman takes down low. I know we have talked about the offensive struggles and we do miss way too many open 3 pointers. But this was a road kill in the truest sense so kudos to the Zips. Very little of Scott and no Thornton in the second half. Prather really did make good use of his time out there. A bunch of good passes, rebounds and hustle plays. And Tavari was not in for the last 8 minutes or so. Tavari might be missing some of the details on defense the staff expects from him, but it appears he's putting in the effort and is in position. It must be that the team defense overall grades out poorly when he's on the court because the opposing teams do drive on him. He needs to get quicker and stronger this off-season.

I saw Tavari steal the ball and go up for  a layup.  I also saw his man take him to the hoop and score a layup but the replay showed the player extend his hand and push Tavari off of him.  The defensive lapses did not stand out to me but I am not the coach.  I agree he needs to get stronger so bigger guards cannot isolate him and take him to the hoop.  That being said, we need his offense with Dawson, Thorton and Scott being awol on offense the last few weeks.  Dawson has been awol most of the season on offense.   Tavari is not afraid to make an offensive move and he has made some 3 pointers.  Let him play!

Edited by 1981 grad

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I saw Tavari steal the ball and go up for  a layup.  I also saw his man take him to the hoop and score a layup but the replay showed the player extend his hand and push Tavari off of him.  The defensive lapses did not stand out to me but I am not the coach.  I agree he needs to get stronger so bigger guards cannot isolate him and take him to the hoop.  That being said, we need his offense with Dawson, Thorton and Scott being awol on offense the last few weeks.  Dawson has been awol most of the season on offense.   Tavari is not afraid to make an offensive move and he has made some 3 pointers.  Let him play!

I wonder if Dawson's Achilles injury is still haunting him.  I love the kid's heart and support of his teammates but he seems reluctant to go to the basket and has become completely one dimensional on offense. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wonder if Dawson's Achilles injury is still haunting him.  I love the kid's heart and support of his teammates but he seems reluctant to go to the basket and has become completely one dimensional on offense. 

Noah 2.0

• Like 2