Transfer Portal

28 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'd prefer Josiah - from Canton and we'd have him for 2 years vs 1. Both would be great. 

One way to bypass the Portal struggles of chemistry? Just get past teammates to transfer in. 😂

Edit: If this is accurate information, it's most likely Josiah Harris. According to Verbal Commits, Pat is not in the Portal. 

https://www.bluegoldsports.com/2024/04/10/wvus-pat-suemnick-enters-transfer-portal/

Not seeing a PAC 12 connection. Maybe that was fake news.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'd prefer Josiah - from Canton and we'd have him for 2 years vs 1. Both would be great. 

One way to bypass the Portal struggles of chemistry? Just get past teammates to transfer in. 😂

Edit: If this is accurate information, it's most likely Josiah Harris. According to Verbal Commits, Pat is not in the Portal. 

I was wondering if it wasn’t Josiah Harris. Groce offered him coming out of high school & I had noticed he was in the portal. He played at Richmond Heights (IIRC) for some reason his junior & senior seasons but spent his freshman & sophomore years at GlenOak (again, IIRC).

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was wondering if it wasn’t Josiah Harris. Groce offered him coming out of high school & I had noticed he was in the portal. He played at Richmond Heights (IIRC) for some reason his junior & senior seasons but spent his freshman & sophomore years at GlenOak (again, IIRC).

That’s interesting. 🤔 

As a freshman Seth Wilson was rated as one of the two best freshman PG's in the state (IIRC). I saw him at STVM a few times his freshman & sophomore years. He struck me as pretty darn good... but not awesome. He transfered to Lorain for his junior & senior seasons & his production really took off. Not saying that's STVM's & Coach Dru's fault - just saying it's probably because he was an upperclassman & team leader at Lorain as opposed to being an underclassman on some stacked STVM teams.  He's big bodied & looks strong as an ox. Good ball handler & can shoot the 3-ball.  When he committed to WVU I thought he looked like a prototypical Huggybear/WVU tough-as-nails-type player. 

Josiah Harris is a true 6-7 stretch 4.  He can put the ball in the hole.  

Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery, and in Groce I trust. He gives his guys lots of confidence and a long leash. If Seth & Josiah felt they had a short leash at WVU then that can really get into a player's head. I think they'd do well - and have a lot of fun - playing Groceball.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Well we'll see what happens. But loading up on the worst WVU team in recent memory doesn't seem all that exciting to me

Had to be a tough year in WVU. 

May 2023

Huggins was given a three-game suspension and took a pay cut for using a homophobic slur during an interview. 

June 2023

- Huggins resigned after being arrested on suspicion of drunken driving.

- Three players, including their leading scorer and rebounder, transferred out

- WVU, with most top candidates already hired, turned to former assistant Josh Eilert to be interim HC

After the season WVU moved on from Eilert and hired Darian DeVries from Drake.

So this could absolutely be a coaching/culture issue last season that they're looking to move on from.

50 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

As a freshman Seth Wilson was rated as one of the two best freshman PG's in the state (IIRC). I saw him at STVM a few times his freshman & sophomore years. He struck me as pretty darn good... but not awesome. He transfered to Lorain for his junior & senior seasons & his production really took off. Not saying that's STVM's & Coach Dru's fault - just saying it's probably because he was an upperclassman & team leader at Lorain as opposed to being an underclassman on some stacked STVM teams.  He's big bodied & looks strong as an ox. Good ball handler & can shoot the 3-ball.  When he committed to WVU I thought he looked like a prototypical Huggybear/WVU tough-as-nails-type player. 

I only vaguely remember him as i’m more of a passive follower of hs bball, but I was reading his bio last night and saw he had the 2nd best season scoring wise as a freshman in school history. Behind one Lebron James.

44 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I only vaguely remember him as i’m more of a passive follower of hs bball, but I was reading his bio last night and saw he had the 2nd best season scoring wise as a freshman in school history. Behind one Lebron James.

Dang! Well can't argue with that!

17 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

One scholarship left, assuming nobody else is leaving. What do we need most?

i guess there's always a chance that someone currently on the team sees the new acquisitions and their impact on their playing time and opts to bail.

50 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

One scholarship left, assuming nobody else is leaving. What do we need most?

PG - Tavari, Wilson, Young

WG - Scott, Nate, Prather, Mahaffey

WF - Marvin

PF - Baker, Lyles

CF - Okonkwo, Brisco

I'd say it looks like we probably need one more post player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

PG - Tavari, Wilson, Young

WG - Scott, Nate, Prather, Mahaffey

WF - Marvin

PF - Baker, Lyles

CF - Okonkwo, Brisco

I'd say it looks like we probably need one more post player.

My two cents: I would move Prather down to WF (Dawson's old spot). Wilson will probably play both PG and WG. Redshirt Mahaffey and Brisco. Add another wing, forward or center - best available. Josiah Harris would be fine with me.

• Like 4