Transfer Portal

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Not the best stats for Dawson to try to entice a good program off the portal. I wonder if he ever really got back to 100% after his injury? He didn't drive to the basket like he did before. We'll see who comes in. Maybe Groce had some success on the recruiting trail. 

May have just needed a change of scenery too. Has to be a little weird to see Freeman, Tribble, and Ali all graduate and still be here.  I honestly don't think it hurts us that much but I do wish him the best, he seems like a wonderful young man.

Edited by Zippy87
  • Like 4

Seemed implausible that no Zip would enter the portal.  Dawson was on the floor in the last few seconds of the MAC Championship game.  He's had two tournament titles and trips to NCAA.  Will miss him and hope, like everyone does, that he will end up in a good spot.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Verbal Commits dot com is already updated c/ Dawson's transfer.  Impressive.

VC is what I've been using. They had the Dawson news 3 hours ago. I keep the Transfers page up at my desk while at work - fascinating to watch everyone go into the Portal. 

I wonder if a few of those high school offers we have out there still will come back into play. 2 Portal, 1 HS?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

VC is what I've been using. They had the Dawson news 3 hours ago. I keep the Transfers page up at my desk while at work - fascinating to watch everyone go into the Portal. 

I wonder if a few of those high school offers we have out there still will come back into play. 2 Portal, 1 HS?

My buddy pointed out the obvious question- what happened between Senior Day when he had decided to stay and today when he decided to leave?

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:01 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Funny, the guy from the All-MAC teams I like might to get the most is one of the two guys that hasn't entered the portal- Basheer Jihad.

He must have read your post, now in the portal!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Good Lord! If we applied the look test he is perfect for the PCCC future felon program.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My buddy pointed out the obvious question- what happened between Senior Day when he had decided to stay and today when he decided to leave?

I thought of this too. Not sure if this is a factor, but Akron won their second championship in 3 years since Senior day. Maybe recruiting is going well for Groce. Or Dawson might be seeing what options are out there. Very good question.

Anyone have a pulse if we are in the mix for Bronny… I would love to see him come home and it would be great PR but it would become a circus… probably not Coach Groce’s culture lol 

still would make a rebuild season super fun to let bronny shoot 25+ shots a game 

IMG_7090.jpeg

I realize the portal and annual line up reshuffling is the new normal, but I wonder if the addition of UMass has teams really trying to improve their rosters in preparation. Because 55 MAC players in the portal is not normal or healthy. Competing against UMass might even be a talking point on the recruiting trail, selling to players that the MAC is only going to improve going forward. Time will tell. Just trying to understand this mass exodus. 

• Like 1

It makes sense to me in that if you are a talented MAC player and you can earn some money and fame transferring to a bigger program, why not sell your talents to the highest bidder.  Essentially, Ali went to a bigger program after his success at Akron.  However, I think we have found out that a talented MAC player does not equate to success in a bigger program.  You also have players who believe they will get more playing time in another program and transfer like Deng Riak.  I thought Tavari Johnson might be one of these players and I am glad he is staying with Akron. (thus far).  Unfortunately, I think many of these MAC players might be overestimating their talents and can wind up with no division one offers and go to a division 2 program.

• Like 2