Transfer Portal

29 minutes ago, akzipper said:

This tweet is so hilarious to me.

Their entire team basically transferred. Yet they brought in one guy, who barely did anything for St. Louis, and are going to the tournament? What? 

I'm not gonna say he can't be an improved player for PCCC, but you're absolutely correct - they've lost pretty much everyone. VonCameron Davis returning is solid news for them, but he and Hornbeak are the only returning pieces that averaged 5+ PPG. Poor Pinky. And now he has his handler, AKA Jim Christian, trying to recruit against him. Shambles. 

30 minutes ago, akzipper said:

This tweet is so hilarious to me.

Their entire team basically transferred. Yet they brought in one guy, who barely did anything for St. Louis, and are going to the tournament? What? 

I think you're a bit out of touch with those guys ... but it's understandable. Here's a more up to date take.

1) The only notable transfer loss was Sullinger, their leading scorer. Davis went into the portal but came back. All other portal entries for them were bench guys, including Freeman, who (based on their board) was a poor recruit who only showed up once a month. Rollins (who committed the foul that sent Akron to the NCAA) ultimately beat him out. And is now in the portal as well.

2) So far they have two transfers from the portal -- not the * caliber the Zips have hauled in, but solid none-the-less. The PG above was the starter for St. Louis the final 10 games or so of the season and had some very productive games, especially with assists, including vs. Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island on the road. Has 3-years to play.

The other portal recruit is a 6-8 guard/forward from Boston University, again, nothing over the top besides the fact he's a very good 3-point shooter.

3) Have no clue how many (if any) scholarships they have left. But they always seem to recruit a bit differently from the rest of the league (witness above) anyway. None of these two guys move the needle much for me, but we'll see what it looks like come January/February.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

I think you're a bit out of touch with those guys ... but it's understandable. Here's a more up to date take.

1) The only notable transfer loss was Sullinger, their leading scorer. Davis went into the portal but came back. All other portal entries for them were bench guys, including Freeman, who (based on their board) was a poor recruit who only showed up once a month. Rollins (who committed the foul that sent Akron to the NCAA) ultimately beat him out. And is now in the portal as well.

2) So far they have two transfers from the portal -- not the * caliber the Zips have hauled in, but solid none-the-less. The PG above was the starter for St. Louis the final 10 games or so of the season and had some very productive games, especially with assists, including vs. Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island on the road. Has 3-years to play.

The other portal recruit is a 6-8 guard/forward from Boston University, again, nothing over the top besides the fact he's a very good 3-point shooter.

3) Have no clue how many (if any) scholarships they have left. But they always seem to recruit a bit differently from the rest of the league (witness above) anyway. None of these two guys move the needle much for me, but we'll see what it looks like come January/February.

Thanks for the input on this, I don't follow them closely. I think they'll miss Santiago and Sullinger quite a bit. Those two, along with Davis, really carried Kent in the MAC Tournament. I won't miss seeing Santiago in particular on the other side - hell of a player who I respected quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, RoyalBlu said:

Nice summary.  The good news is that if the newbies are worth a damn they won't be around long.

Has Reggie Bass found his 7th landing spot in 7 years yet?

3 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

I never want to play Kent in Cleveland. It's not like they were good this year, but Senderoff had them playing their best basketball in March when it matters most.

I am not sure this is current but not exactly a long list for Jalen's talents:

Ohio State Loyola Chicago Virginia Tech ECU

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I never want to play Kent in Cleveland. It's not like they were good this year, but Senderoff had them playing their best basketball in March when it matters most.

Looking at this through your lens ... I see what you're saying.

Akron's two latest NCAA appearances were probably more directly related to Kent self-inflicted miscues (24-foul, 22-video). Could Akron have won both games without those incidents? Certainly. But ...

It's not like blocking Kent's last-second shot in OT to win the MAC Tournament, and go to the NCAA. No discussion. Zips earn it/took it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Akron's two latest NCAA appearances were probably more directly related to Kent self-inflicted miscues (24-foul, 22-video). Could Akron have won both games without those incidents? Certainly. But ...

It's not like blocking Kent's last-second shot in OT to win the MAC Tournament, and go to the NCAA. No discussion. Zips earn it/took it.

I won't let anyone use that video as an excuse for why PCCC lost in 2022. Jacobs played the entire second half - starting with 0 fouls - and we kicked the 💩 out of them by 20 with their best players available. That was a 9 pt game at the half and we won the second half by 11. Akron won that game. Period. 

Even this year, Akron let PCCC back into the game at the end; it was a multiple possession game until Akron missed shots/free throws. PCCC made the foul mistake, but we still had to knock down the free throws. 

PCCC deserves credit for 2008 and 2017. No way do they get to hide behind excuses for their losses in 2022 and 2024. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

His and Toledo's track record...

The last time Toledo made the tournament the #1 song on the billboard charts was crazy little thing called love by Queen. The #1 movie at the box office was The Fog. The price of a Big Mac was $1.20.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The last time Toledo made the tournament the #1 song on the billboard charts was crazy little thing called love by Queen. The #1 movie at the box office was The Fog. The price of a Big Mac was $1.20.

Back then my family watched The Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island every Saturday night. Good times!!

• Like 4

Uh oh, the Beacon let GT write about the Zips again.  I'd forgotten just how unfulfilling and incomplete his articles could be.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/04/16/akron-basketball-transfers-james-okonkwo-josiah-harris-seth-wilson/73347283007/

Edited by clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Uh oh, the Beacon let GT write about the Zips again.  I'd forgotten just how unfulfilling and incomplete his articles could be.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/04/16/akron-basketball-transfers-james-okonkwo-josiah-harris-seth-wilson/73347283007/

Once again a lower quality piece than what I'd find written here. If this is what journalism is these days, it's no surprise chatgpt is replacing the 'talent'.

40 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Once again a lower quality piece than what I'd find written here. If this is what journalism is these days, it's no surprise chatgpt is replacing the 'talent'.

I thought we were finally past this from the Beacon.  Beaven and occasionally Ulrich have been really good since GT essentially stepped aside.  I guess we just needed this reminder.

• Like 1

Winners win, losers lose. Kent State knows how to lose, and Akron knows how to win

• Like 1