2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

On 6/28/2024 at 1:23 PM, kreed5120 said:

If we got UNLV to come to the JAR, that would be a huge get. 

Know what I hate about analytics: When they are so clearly and obviously WRONG!

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=MAC&state=All&year=2024&sort

Can't get link to open here, but copy it and try on your browser ... really wonder what these people use for logic.

37 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Know what I hate about analytics: When they are so clearly and obviously WRONG!

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=MAC&state=All&year=2024&sort

Can't get link to open here, but copy it and try on your browser ... really wonder what these people use for logic.

Analytics only work when there are consistencies in programs. With the Transfer Portal, it's borderline impossible to analytically predict college sports.

This prediction clearly doesn't factor in the Groce effect. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Analytics only work when there are consistencies in programs. With the Transfer Portal, it's borderline impossible to analytically predict college sports.

This prediction clearly doesn't factor in the Groce effect. 

At the very least we need to wait until January. That way there is a 12-15 game sample size for each team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

At the very least we need to wait until January. That way there is a 12-15 game sample size for each team.

All of this is true, but ...

You can click on any column and just scratch your head. Like 'talent.' Clearly Zips are head and shoulders above the rest of the league. But even a rabid Akron fan has to admit Central Michigan ranking a 0 for talent, and Kent ranking -0 is a bit much.

Or the transfer column: Eastern, Ball State, Kent and Northern getting more production out their transfers than Akron??? So what does that say about Akron's 'talent' ranking, which is clearly anchored by the incoming transfers. I could go on.

Just weird.

55 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

You can click on any column and just scratch your head. Like 'talent.' Clearly Zips are head and shoulders above the rest of the league. But even a rabid Akron fan has to admit Central Michigan ranking a 0 for talent, and Kent ranking -0 is a bit much.

Or the transfer column: Eastern, Ball State, Kent and Northern getting more production out their transfers than Akron??? So what does that say about Akron's 'talent' ranking, which is clearly anchored by the incoming transfers. I could go on.

Just weird.

It's quite explainable. Akron's incoming transfers were all bench players at their previous schools. Their stats are very limited due to this fact, so using a statistical analysis to predict the outcome of the season is heavily skewed. In addition, Akron graduated the most of anyone in the MAC, and only Toledo would be able to argue they lost more (transfer portal). It's June 2024; I have way too many other things to worry about than some flawed 2024-25 prediction.

Although they did get one thing right - Kent is talentless. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

Just weird.

The reality is rankings shouldn't be published yet, but those advanced metric websites want the ad or subscription revenue so they keep them going. They're not worth your time this time of the year. I wouldn't fret on them.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 9:31 AM, UA1996MAENG said:

On 6/29/2024 at 8:08 PM, RoyalBlu said:

Clearly Zips are head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

This claim is based on what?  It's silly to believe other schools - particularly Kent, Ohio, Toledo and Miami - aren't improving their talent levels on par with Akron.  This sounds like a Baghdad Bob post...or Professional Zip.

Edited by egregiousbob

6 hours ago, egregiousbob said:

This claim is based on what?  It's silly to believe other schools - particularly Kent, Ohio, Toledo and Miami - aren't improving their talent levels on par with Akron.  This sounds like a Baghdad Bob post...or Professional Zip.

This is based on 'quality' of portal recruits, almost all of which Akron had no real shot at coming out of high school,  and maybe just one or two shy of having what is rumored to be the best NIL package in the league.

That said, I distinctly remember the Marshall years when The Herd clearly had the best roster of talent overall in the league, but just could never put it all together. So you're right, one or more of Kent, Ohio, Toledo and Miami may well have enough talent to usurp Akron on the court. But I still say, based on ROSTER talent, the Zips are the Class of the MAC.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

This is based on 'quality' of portal recruits, almost all of which Akron had no real shot at coming out of high school,  and maybe just one or two shy of having what is rumored to be the best NIL package in the league.

That said, I distinctly remember the Marshall years when The Herd clearly had the best roster of talent overall in the league, but just could never put it all together. So you're right, one or more of Kent, Ohio, Toledo and Miami may well have enough talent to usurp Akron on the court. But I still say, based on ROSTER talent, the Zips are the Class of the MAC.

Word salad 🤢

I'm hopeful next year, but a lot of that is based off of potential. It's still to be seen how these incoming transfers perform with an expanded role. Either way with the roster turnover, I expect 1-2 ugly losses during OOC as this team will need time to build chemistry.

I think the ceiling next season is a MAC Championship with a chance at a March tournament win. (13 seed) but the floor is a frustrating 17-14 season where we as fans feel like this team has no chemistry and we just can never put it together.

I think the keys to the ceiling season is: 

James Okonkwo: being a power 4 big in the MAC (Aka domination) 

The guys who “should” be good shooters actually being good shooters 

Sharron Young blossoms into the clutch killer he was in highschool and takes over games in crunch time. Making young kids everywhere in Akron pretending to be him in their driveways. 

I believe in John Groce to Gel the team and lead us into March excited to cut the nets in Cleveland. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, egregiousbob said:

That's not Professional Zip.

Ohio - based on what we know - should be the favorites going into the season. They returned the most from last year's squad, which was a second half collapse away from the MAC Championship game.

Kent lost everything. Who knows what type of talent they swindled into transferring to that dump heap, but they're outlook isn't nearly as optimistic. 

Toledo lost everything as well, and arguably backfilled with less than even Kent did. Kowalchoke might not even have a chance to choke in March.

Miami - largely uninspiring offseason for them. 

Akron arguably has the most to replace between the Unanimous MAC POTY (Freeman), Ali Ali, and Hunter. However, I am quite a bit more confident in the guys they brought in via the Portal than any other team in the MAC. Sharron Young has a legit shot at MAC Freshman of the Year. Chemistry and execution are the two biggest question marks, obviously, but the pieces to the puzzle make sense. If it all works out how we hope, this could be one of the most talented Zips teams we've ever seen.

So, EgregiouslyNegativeNancy, let's not be ripping on fellow Zips fans for their optimism. There are grounds for said optimism. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That's not Professional Zip.

Ohio - based on what we know - should be the favorites going into the season. They returned the most from last year's squad, which was a second half collapse away from the MAC Championship game.

Kent lost everything. Who knows what type of talent they swindled into transferring to that dump heap, but they're outlook isn't nearly as optimistic. 

Toledo lost everything as well, and arguably backfilled with less than even Kent did. Kowalchoke might not even have a chance to choke in March.

Miami - largely uninspiring offseason for them. 

Akron arguably has the most to replace between the Unanimous MAC POTY (Freeman), Ali Ali, and Hunter. However, I am quite a bit more confident in the guys they brought in via the Portal than any other team in the MAC. Sharron Young has a legit shot at MAC Freshman of the Year. Chemistry and execution are the two biggest question marks, obviously, but the pieces to the puzzle make sense. If it all works out how we hope, this could be one of the most talented Zips teams we've ever seen.

So, EgregiouslyNegativeNancy, let's not be ripping on fellow Zips fans for their optimism. There are grounds for said optimism. 

Thanks for clarifying my 'word salad.'

Pretty much what I was trying to say. Based on The Portal, the Zips are head and shoulders above the rest of the MAC. If this talent translates on the court, which is the clear objective, then the sky is the limit. Other MAC teams don't have this level of 'talent.'

However, if whatever talent they have comes with better chemistry, then the playing field is leveled. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

That’s a big one. I hope we get a return trip to Akron. I would take a 2 for 1 if we have to. It’s all about Quad 1 games 

They hosted Kent last year and there isn't a return game at Kent this year. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They snubbed PCCC of a return game? Smart school. Outside of the Zips game, go Gaels!

If I'm not mistaken, SM-Kent have played four times over the years and have split the games, 2-2. One of SM wins was at Kent. Both of Kent wins at SM.

Definitely a road win the Zips can get.

11 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

If I'm not mistaken, SM-Kent have played four times over the years and have split the games, 2-2. One of SM wins was at Kent. Both of Kent wins at SM.

Definitely a road win the Zips can get.

They have played 4 times and Kent is 1-3 against them, at least according to Kent's website. Then again we all know how much Kent struggles with numbers.

The last time Saint Mary's played at Kent was 2008. That was before they established themselves as one of the premier mid-major programs in the country. It's certainly a golden opportunity to add a quality win, but I don't expect them making a return trip to Akron next year. The reality is Akron needs to elevate ourselves to Saint Mary's level before we start getting schools like St. Mary's to agree to come to Akron. We're not that far off, but we need to be more consistent and find ways of beating programs like UCLA, Utah State, and UNLV instead of just hanging around and narrowing losing.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1