2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

42 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

…but we are talking about Western Illinois. Not only are they bad, in a bad conference, they’re not exactly next door to Chicago. SMH. 

The MAC has taken a nosedive since covid. It's still better than the OVC, but the gap between them isn't as large as it used to be.

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Looks like the SBC challenge is gonna have the MAC on the road to start the season. 

Hopefully this means we should find out Akron's schedule sometime soon. We have the two SunBelt games. I also believe a road game against Bradley and host Northern Kentucky. Are any other games known?

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Hopefully this means we should find out Akron's schedule sometime soon. We have the two SunBelt games. I also believe a road game against Bradley and host Northern Kentucky. Are any other games known?

Was the Bradley a 3-4 year deal? We played at Bradley 2 seasons ago.

31 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know that answer. It's possible then that won't be on the schedule. Do we even know which tournament we'll be participating in? That's usually one of the first things that leaks regarding our schedule.

When is the last time a D1 conference has ceased to exist? The WAC will probably poach 2 schools from a conference like the Southland to stay alive. There also always seems to be a school willing to make the transition to D1.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think the games against Bradley were a part of ESPNs now defunct college basketball "bracket busters" (or whatever they called it) challenge.

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Not much football value there outside of Illinois State..

All but 4 teams were above .500 last year.

Missouri State, ironically, was not one of them. 

Illinois State, Youngstown State, and Southern Illinois would all fit within the geographical footprint the MAC is trying to maintain. I would absolutely take Illinois State. YSU would be fitting with PCCC & Akron. Their athletics seem to be on the up & up and they have a financial commitment being made. 

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't see the value in expanding just for the sake of expanding. That's just more mouths to feed.

Agreed. Take WKU because they make the MAC a stronger conference. Take MTSU also if they make us stronger or give us a better TV package since they bring the Nashville/Tennessee TV market.

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

When is the last time a D1 conference has ceased to exist? The WAC will probably poach 2 schools from a conference like the Southland to stay alive. There also always seems to be a school willing to make the transition to D1.

Big East sorta? Then probably SWC. PAC 12 soon enough 

10 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Big East sorta? Then probably SWC. PAC 12 soon enough 

The Big East never stopped functioning as a D1 conference. The SWC in 1996 would be the correct answer.

I don't think the PAC 12 will fold. I expect the Mountain West to merge into it that way they can capitalize on the PAC-12 brand. Regardless that would still mean one of the PAC-12 or MWC will disappear. It would be the first time in ~30 years that a conference went under. Even with realignment, conferences have seen resilient to stay afloat even when it looked like they didn't have many options left.

• Like 1