2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

20 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Mark the Cavs down for another long road trip. 

Man I really want the Browns to build a new stadium with a roof. Not only because I think they can potentially host the MAC Football championship, but they'd definitely get to host the Final Four. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Utah State AD: "Tod, you have a very impressive record over the last few seasons. Why haven't I seen Toledo on Selection Sunday?"

Tod: "Cleveland."

Utah State AD: "Well Tod, we have aspirations of making runs in March and the Mountain West's conference tournament is in Las Vegas. And next year, Cleveland is a First & Second Round site for the Tourney. How exciting is that - right in the backyard of your old stomping grounds?"

Tod: vietnam-horror.gif

18 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't see how the league doesn't suffer from this.  Sure, the league will get it's share of transfers and some kids will end up staying but I can't imagine it will even out.  

I wonder if some of this isn't driven by these kids' need to "feel the love" and be recruited again.

One positive is that it puts the Zips in a good position relative to the competition.  I do think the Zips may be behind the others in announcements, however, due to their tournament appearance.    Groce's individual meetings with the players are likely still sinking in with them.

The MAC is just the AAA for the top 11-12 conferences. The system as constructed is never to even out given how far we're down in the food chain. It's turned more into just developing players for others.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The MAC is just the AAA for the top 11-12 conferences. The system as constructed is never to even out given how far we're down in the food chain. It's turned more into just developing players for others.

#LeavetheMAC

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It  has become the NCAADL.

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The system isn't necessarily designed to screw over the MAC or bottom 15 conferences. There are nearly 50 MAC players in the Portal, but that's out of 1100+ players so far. The amount of P6s losing talent is asinine as well. The system hurts everyone who hasn't elevated themselves to be blue bloods in today's game. 

The MAC chose to sit on its hands for 2+ decades. The only thing they've ever been ahead of was cancelling the 2020 MAC Tournament, and that is controversial at best. When they allowed Marshall, UCF, UMass football, etc., to use their conference as a quick stepping stone, that was the first large nail in the coffin for the MAC. They then sold their souls to "separate" themselves with mid-week MACtion football, sacrificing the essence of collegiate football/athletics - Saturday GameDay environments. Steinbrecher is dying on the hill of "tradition" and blocking most, if not all "forward thought" marketing that would separate the MAC and re-establish itself as a top G5 conference. It's not a desirable conference to play in comparatively. 

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The system isn't necessarily designed to screw over the MAC or bottom 15 conferences. There are nearly 50 MAC players in the Portal, but that's out of 1100+ players so far. The amount of P6s losing talent is asinine as well. The system hurts everyone who hasn't elevated themselves to be blue bloods in today's game. 

The MAC chose to sit on its hands for 2+ decades. The only thing they've ever been ahead of was cancelling the 2020 MAC Tournament, and that is controversial at best. When they allowed Marshall, UCF, UMass football, etc., to use their conference as a quick stepping stone, that was the first large nail in the coffin for the MAC. They then sold their souls to "separate" themselves with mid-week MACtion football, sacrificing the essence of collegiate football/athletics - Saturday GameDay environments. Steinbrecher is dying on the hill of "tradition" and blocking most, if not all "forward thought" marketing that would separate the MAC and re-establish itself as a top G5 conference. It's not a desirable conference to play in comparatively. 

The non-blue bloods are the ones plucking the talent from conferences like the MAC. Case in point, All-American Mark Sears at Alabama. I'm not saying the system was designed to intentionally screw the bottom 15 conferences. I'm saying that just happens to be the end result.

Edited by kreed5120

58 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The non-blue bloods are the ones plucking the talent from conferences like the MAC. Case in point, All-American Mark Sears at Alabama. I'm not saying the system was designed to intentionally screw the bottom 15 conferences. I'm saying that just happens to be the end result.

Because Bama elevated themselves to become a program worth leaving for. The SEC as a whole has revamped its basketball profile. Colorado is losing Eddie Lampkin. New Mexico is losing Mashburn. The Portal can hurt everyone. 

The transfers to the major basketball programs from the smaller programs has been going on for some time.  The transfer portal and the "no sit" rule just accelerated it.  I first really noticed it was in 2015 when the Lewis kid transferred to Louisville from Cleveland State.

15 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I can only look at this as Toledo did enough to keep Todd K, because I don’t see a world where Calhoun is more attractive. Good for them. Now can he lure any of this big 3 back out of the portal?

Also feel like Utah St could’ve done a lot better.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I can only look at this as Toledo did enough to keep Todd K, because I don’t see a world where Calhoun is more attractive. Good for them. Now can he lure any of this big 3 back out of the portal?

Also feel like Utah St could’ve done a lot better.

I agree it was an underwhelming hire. I do think Calhoun has done some nice things at YSU as he took a perennial bottom feeder and made them a consistent contender. I just think he's the kind of coach a MAC, MVC, or Sun Belt school would target.

Edited by kreed5120

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree it was an underwhelming hire. I do think Calhoun has done some nice things at YSU as he took a perennial bottom feeder and made them a consistent contender. I just think he's the kind of coach a MAC, MVC, or Sun Belt school would target.

I'm just happy they made it from Toledo to Youngstown without stopping to see what we have at UA.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

I hear Akron is a great destination.....

If I'm not mistaken, there was a direct pipeline built a few years ago from DeKalb to Akron. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I believe this will be the week we hear of any current Zips transferring out, if there are any. 

• Like 1