catdaddyp Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 (edited) QB: The Chips have mostly used a two-quarterback system with former Northern Arizona transfer Angel Flores as their main rushing threat and redshirt sophomore Jadyn Glasser as a passing option. Against Miami(FL), CMU tossed senior Marcus Beaman into the mix as well. When the Chips do pass, it’s usually a quick and fairly short outlet, as only 15 attempts have been thrown beyond 10 yards this season. The Chips utilize their run game and short passing options by using a lot of pre-snap motion and misdirection to create opportunities to methodically move the ball down field. Flores has thrown for 123 yards on 33 attempts, while completing 57% of his passes. He’s also thrown two interceptions, with zero touchdowns, and has been sacked 4 times. Flores has run for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns on 63 rushing attempts. Glasser has thrown for 112 yards on 29 attempts, while completing 62% of his passes and has the same touchdown to interception ratio as Flores. Glasser has been sacked 5 times. Beaman hasn’t had as many opportunities and has thrown for 40 yards on 8 attempts. RB: Holy Cross transfer Jayden Clerveaux is the starter at running back, with Liberty transfer Vaughn Blue as the main backup, though the Chips will rotate in multiple backs. Clerveaux and Blue have combined for 244 yards on 49 attempts. Keep in mind that is less than Flores’ rushing total at quarterback. WR: Langston Lewis is a former All-MAC wide-out that hasn’t done much this season. In fact, the entire receiving corps have been less than impressive, albeit with limited opportunities. No receiver has more than 7 receptions or more than 46 receiving yards. There have been zero receiving touchdowns on the year. TE: Four different tight ends will be utilized depending on the formation and down. They are usually not counted on for anything more than blocking, but sophomore Myles Peters does have 3 receptions for 14 yards. OL: The offensive line is big and experienced, with all five starters being seniors. However, they have been next to terrible in pass protection and are built for the run game. LT - Jacob Booth (6’5 295) (Sr.) LG - Jacob Russell (6’4 300) (Sr.) - Former Valparaiso Transfer C - Losini Maka (6’2 315) (Sr.) - Georgetown Transfer RG - John Iannuzzi (6’4 320) (Sr.) - Former Columbia Transfer RT - Martin Koivisto (6’7 295) (Sr.) DL: JUCO transfer Jaxson Cherry and Cornell transfer Max Van Fleet are the starters on the interior, but will also bump outside depending on the alignment. Sophomore JJ Douglas and senior Korva Demma start on the edges. These four have amassed 42 total tackles and 2.5 sacks. LB: Junior Xavier White and Central Washington transfer Brett McCalla are the starters at linebacker. The duo has combined for 60 total tackles. Weber State transfer Mayson Hitchens also plays a high amount of snaps. DB: Bethune-Cookman transfer Matthew McKenzie and Campbell transfer Donovan Philord are the starters at cornerback. Junior Jaion Jackson starts at nickleback, while Wyoming transfer Justin Taylor and Northern Colorado transfer Darrell Bryant start at safety. Bryant and Taylor each have an interception on the year. ST: Sophomore Caden VanHuis is 2 for 3 on field goals and 5 of 6 on extra points. Former Illinois transfer Declan Duley is averaging nearly 43 yards per punt, with a long of 63 yards. Keys on Offense: The CMU defense has actually been fairly stout. It’ll be on the Zips offense to get ahead early and maintain a lead. There likely won’t be as many offensive opportunities due to the fact that the Chips want to use up the clock and limit opposing team’s possessions. Keys on Defense: Despite Akron’s struggles against the pass, CMU isn’t going to hurt anyone through the air. The Chips are going to try to run, run, and run some more. The Akron defense will likely face one of its most physical challenges this week and can’t wear down as the game progresses. Final Thoughts: I picked CMU to win in the preseason, but due to the Chips still struggling to find a suitable quarterback, I’m going with the Zips this game. The CMU offense can be downright anemic at times. Defensive line depth is my biggest concern for Akron, so that is an area to keep an eye on. Weather is another factor here - the sloppier the conditions, the better off CMU will be. Hopefully, it’ll be a clear fall day. Edited September 28 by catdaddyp 2 Quote
exit322 Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 The 10-day forecast in Mount Pleasant says dry and mostly cloudy. Akron's defense seems like it's been pretty OK against the run and (especially Game 4) had some "minor" issues against the downfield pass. CMU might play into Akron's strengths. Definitely feels like a winnable game. 1 Quote
Zips1991 Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 I've been expecting a win in this game due to CMU's lack of passing offense which will (hopefully) prevent them from taking advantage of our biggest weakness (DBs). However, I'm less confident now after the Broughton injury and Roggow struggles last week. Vegas has CMU as 5.5 points favorites. Quote
ZippyRulz Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 This game will tell a lot about the remaining MAC season and bowl eligibility. I'd call it a must-win. 4 1 Quote
csims0917 Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 Sounds like if we can shut down the run and prevent the big plays, we should be able to pull of this one. Would be huge momentum swing going into the homecoming game 2-3 vs 1-4 2 Quote
Zippy87 Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 16 hours ago, ZippyRulz said: This game will tell a lot about the remaining MAC season and bowl eligibility. I'd call it a must-win. Yeah, if they don't win this one, it's hard to see them winning 5 of the next 7 to become eligible. 1 Quote
ZippyDoo Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 It's playoffs baby. That's how I think they need to approach the season. The best players need to play unless injured of course. and every game that is "winnable" must be won. No excuses can be accepted and none should be given. Miami and Western in my opinion are the two "hardest" games remaining on the schedule. I think every other game, except Western (it would take a perfect game on the Zips part and a lot of help) on this schedule is winnable. I'm still waiting to see about UMASS but this team should be able to win every other game and this conference schedule this year should be the one that they go 6-2. If this team does NOT finish at least 6-6 overall, that is three conference losses, then I would consider this year a failure, but again in my opinion looking at the rest of the conference, I really think that 7-5 is obtainable. I'm not starting the whole fire Joe Moe or anything like that. I'm just stating that our conference schedule is not that difficult this year and I do believe that we have the talent to win enough games to be bowl eligible. The coaching staff has had four games now to judge talent and to see what works and what doesn't. If they continue to play the same players and refuse to make changes then we can expect the same results and that falls on them. Hopefully, the coachable things have been addressed. From Cat has said, this week the team can focus on stopping the run. Central Michigan is Akron's super bowl. That's all they should be worried about right now. It's the most important game of the season. 1 Quote
exit322 Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 10 minutes ago, ZippyDoo said: Central Michigan is Akron's super bowl. That's all they should be worried about right now. It's the most important game of the season. I like this approach. Enter each game with a "we must win," possibly also because I'm not convinced 6-6 gets a bowl game with some bowl consolidation. Quote
csims0917 Posted Thursday at 01:17 PM Report Posted Thursday at 01:17 PM On 9/29/2026 at 3:24 PM, exit322 said: I like this approach. Enter each game with a "we must win," possibly also because I'm not convinced 6-6 gets a bowl game with some bowl consolidation. Control what we can control. It'll become clearer as we get closer to the December what we need Quote
ZipForNow Posted Thursday at 02:21 PM Report Posted Thursday at 02:21 PM From Akron Zipped Up! ”No matter how poor a passer Flores is, it just takes one guy to get fooled by the run setting up an explosive pass play to get bitten. This is going to be especially true against an Akron defense that doesn’t seem to be getting any better against the pass as the weeks go by.” This is what worries me. Quote
ZippyDoo Posted Thursday at 06:19 PM Report Posted Thursday at 06:19 PM 3 hours ago, ZipForNow said: From Akron Zipped Up! ”No matter how poor a passer Flores is, it just takes one guy to get fooled by the run setting up an explosive pass play to get bitten. This is going to be especially true against an Akron defense that doesn’t seem to be getting any better against the pass as the weeks go by.” This is what worries me. Yep very true. Seems like their offense is very similar to a Wing T type offense. Hopefully our corners stay true and we just fill the gaps. I expect Flowers to be aggressive this game. I also think our linebackers should really stand out this game as well they are fast and cover ground so I do like this match up. But Zip is right Flores just has to lure the corner in like he is gonna run and then dink it over him. I do think this is very winnable though I'm taking the Zips by 9 1 Quote
LZIp Posted Friday at 01:03 AM Report Posted Friday at 01:03 AM 6 hours ago, ZippyDoo said: Yep very true. Seems like their offense is very similar to a Wing T type offense. Hopefully our corners stay true and we just fill the gaps. I expect Flowers to be aggressive this game. I also think our linebackers should really stand out this game as well they are fast and cover ground so I do like this match up. But Zip is right Flores just has to lure the corner in like he is gonna run and then dink it over him. I do think this is very winnable though I'm taking the Zips by 9 Keep a safety deep! 2 Quote
Lee Adams Posted Friday at 04:51 PM Report Posted Friday at 04:51 PM On 9/28/2026 at 11:59 AM, exit322 said: The 10-day forecast in Mount Pleasant says dry and mostly cloudy. Akron's defense seems like it's been pretty OK against the run and (especially Game 4) had some "minor" issues against the downfield pass. CMU might play into Akron's strengths. Definitely feels like a winnable game. If the exhibition against UNLV was an example, I have to question Akron's ability to control the run. Once UNLV finally decided to get its QB running, Akron had no answer. I think what the defense gave up on the ground was substantial. Unless te offense with or without Broughton can put up at least 24 points its going to be a struggle to win. Just hope Broughton is healthy enough to be effective. And, hope Gant can have a big game. Quote
kreed5120 Posted Friday at 05:07 PM Report Posted Friday at 05:07 PM (edited) 15 minutes ago, Lee Adams said: If the exhibition against UNLV was an example, I have to question Akron's ability to control the run. Once UNLV finally decided to get its QB running, Akron had no answer. I think what the defense gave up on the ground was substantial. Unless te offense with or without Broughton can put up at least 24 points its going to be a struggle to win. Just hope Broughton is healthy enough to be effective. And, hope Gant can have a big game. I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. UNLV also showed they could beat us with the pass so we weren't really in a position to fully commit to stopping the run. I'm not saying CMU won't be able to run it down our throats, but they are much more 1 dimensional than UNLV, which at least gives our struggling defense a fighting chance. Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets decided by the movable object meeting the stoppable force. Akron crowding the box to force CMU to pass. From there figuring out if CMU poor pass game is better or worse than our poor pass defense. Edited Friday at 05:09 PM by kreed5120 1 Quote
clarkwgriswold Posted Saturday at 02:51 PM Report Posted Saturday at 02:51 PM This is a real measuring stick game for the Zips as it is the first game this season against a similarly situated MAC opponent. The Zips should be at a point where these games are at a minimum competitive. 4 Quote
AkronAlumnus Posted Saturday at 03:22 PM Report Posted Saturday at 03:22 PM Zips win today. #GoZips 1 Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 05:36 PM Report Posted Saturday at 05:36 PM (edited) 2 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said: Zips win today. #GoZips I similarly feel pretty good about this one. Edited Saturday at 05:36 PM by exit322 1 Quote
kreed5120 Posted Saturday at 05:51 PM Report Posted Saturday at 05:51 PM This or Kent is the most winnable road game we have on our schedule. A win today and I feel there is a realistic chance of getting to 6 wins and making a bowl. A loss would make that pathway incredibly difficult. Quote
phil Posted Saturday at 06:20 PM Report Posted Saturday at 06:20 PM I thought we had a really good run game last week and everything was going well until we outthunk ourselves and called the trick play that lead to the interception. I hope we establish the run game and keep the ball in akron hands. After we show we can run the ball the passing will open up. Our QB can throw given the time. Quote
kreed5120 Posted Saturday at 06:27 PM Report Posted Saturday at 06:27 PM Speaking of QB, do we know who today's starter is? Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 06:38 PM Report Posted Saturday at 06:38 PM 9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said: Speaking of QB, do we know who today's starter is? Moorhead isn't required to say this, so he doesn't. Why break what isn't broken? Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 06:39 PM Report Posted Saturday at 06:39 PM 47 minutes ago, kreed5120 said: This or Kent is the most winnable road game we have on our schedule. A win today and I feel there is a realistic chance of getting to 6 wins and making a bowl. A loss would make that pathway incredibly difficult. I think they might want to get to 7-5 to be comfortable about making a bowl this year. Quote
Zips1991 Posted Saturday at 06:56 PM Report Posted Saturday at 06:56 PM 27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said: Speaking of QB, do we know who today's starter is? On the MAC availability report that is released an hour before the game, Poffenbarger and Broughton are both listed as out. 1 Quote
kreed5120 Posted Saturday at 07:06 PM Report Posted Saturday at 07:06 PM 9 minutes ago, Zips1991 said: On the MAC availability report that is released an hour before the game, Poffenbarger and Broughton are both listed as out. Don't like they're out, but thanks for sharing. Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 07:15 PM Report Posted Saturday at 07:15 PM (edited) I like Roggow, but he's definitely QB2 (Poffenbarger was apparently here to take reps from the guys who are eligible, so I'm not counting him) Edited Saturday at 07:18 PM by exit322 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.