Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational

clarkwgriswold

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Now we're talking.  Go and try to win 30 games, or close to it.  Enough of this talk of just positioning ourselves for the Anything-Can-Happen MAC tournament.  This could be another repeat of the 2012-2013 conference run, and maybe we won't get a player suspended right before the final league game this time.    

I think we're far from hitting any peak with this team.  We're not even playing our best lineups all the time yet.  Keith has been trying to work in the bench guys in hopes of developing those 7 thru 10 guys this year.  If we can get to the point where some of these guys can really contribute some productive minutes before we risk any losses in the process, this team could potentially get close to running the table in conference play.  

I wish I could share your enthusiasm but in the non conference games we are 0 for 3 in away games including an ugly loss to a mediocre Youngstown State team.   (I know we were playing ranked teams)  Winning MAC games on the road is tough because it is a grind.  That is why KD is trying to get more time for the bench guys so he can go 10 deep.  However, that still has not happened as the box score indicates the bench players only played 7 minutes.  The non conference schedule included only 3 away games.  We do not know how this team will do on the road in a hostile environment.  Who is the player that will step forward when we cannot put the ball in the basket?  This team does not have any outstanding one on one player when we need a basket and we went without a basket in the last 8 minutes at Gonzaga.  I am hopeful that you are correct but I think there is a real question how this team will play on the road when we hit the MAC schedule. 

Also, I just saw the box score and indicated there were 5000 at the game last night. Great crowd if it was true.  Anybody confirm the attendance?    

40 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I wish I could share your enthusiasm but in the non conference games we are 0 for 3 in away games including an ugly loss to a mediocre Youngstown State team.   (I know we were playing ranked teams)  Winning MAC games on the road is tough because it is a grind.  That is why KD is trying to get more time for the bench guys so he can go 10 deep.  However, that still has not happened as the box score indicates the bench players only played 7 minutes.  The non conference schedule included only 3 away games.  We do not know how this team will do on the road in a hostile environment.  Who is the player that will step forward when we cannot put the ball in the basket?  This team does not have any outstanding one on one player when we need a basket and we went without a basket in the last 8 minutes at Gonzaga.  I am hopeful that you are correct but I think there is a real question how this team will play on the road when we hit the MAC schedule. 

Also, I just saw the box score and indicated there were 5000 at the game last night. Great crowd if it was true.  Anybody confirm the attendance?    

I'm with you on the fact I feel Akron can go something like 14-4 in conference play, but can't see them going something absurd like 16-2 or 17-1. Repeating last years 13-5 mark is what I'd say is most likely and honestly IMO would be enough to win the regular season conference title again. What got me was your comments regarding our bench. The bench played a total of 51, which is over 25% of the game.

10 minutes ago, VAZip said:

On You Tube clips appeared to be more players than people.

It was a double header so it would include UTEP fans that bought tickets and didn't bother going for the Akron/UCI game.

Edit: Poke 4 minutes was honestly too many. Can we please never have him and his 6'8 190lb frame guard a 7'2 255lb C again? 

Edited by kreed5120

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm with you on the fact I feel Akron can go something like 14-4 in conference play, but can't see them going something absurd like 16-2 or 17-1. Repeating last years 13-5 mark is what I'd say is most likely and honestly IMO would be enough to win the regular season conference title again. What got me was your comments regarding our bench. The bench played a total of 51, which is over 25% of the game.

I am talking about the bench players we need to go 11 deep which would be Poke and Utomi.  Sorry for the confusion.

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I am talking about the bench players we need to go 11 deep which would be Poke and Utomi.  Sorry for the confusion.

Please see my edit. They tried playing Poke, but he was forced to guard a guy 6 inches taller than him who also weighed 65 lbs more than him. After about the 3rd straight back down and easy lay in they took him out. Not the kind of front court you want to play small ball against. 

Edited by kreed5120

15 minutes ago, VAZip said:

On You Tube clips appeared to be more players than people.

Thanks for the clip.  I watched it and agree the place was empty.  Interesting the last inbounds play on the clip was the same play Marshall use to score on us several times and it worked again last night.  We have Antino under the basket not guarding anybody and the inbounds player throws the ball in and goes behind a screen and scores an open jump shot.  It is time we need to guard the guy inbounding the ball and stay with him!

MIN   FGM-A   3PM-A   FTM-A   OREB   DREB   REB   AST   STL   BLK   TO   PF   PTS

Daniel Utomi        1       0-1          0-1         0-0           0          0          0       0        0        0       0     0      0

Daniel?...  Oh, Daniel?

baad9453-477d-4dd2-8863-4396a6691157.jpg

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

The non conference schedule included only 3 away games.  We do not know how this team will do on the road in a hostile environment.  Who is the player that will step forward when we cannot put the ball in the basket?  This team does not have any outstanding one on one player when we need a basket and we went without a basket in the last 8 minutes at <redacted>.  I am hopeful that you are correct but I think there is a real question how this team will play on the road when we hit the MAC schedule. 

This post could be made every year at the end of December

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Winning MAC games on the road is tough because it is a grind.  That is why KD is trying to get more time for the bench guys so he can go 10 deep.   

I'm not going to speak for the coach, but I don't think anyone would expect to be ready to rely on 10 guys at any point this season.  They are spending as much time as they can afford right now to find out what we have.  You just have to get as many people as possible ready to fill quality minutes.  For instance, if Aaron, Tavian and Michael (the most likely candidates) can contribute 10 or more good minutes starting next month, I think that's good news for us.   If Daniel or Emmanuel end up being capable of doing the same soon, I'd consider that a real bonus, but I don't think see those two guys doing much more this season beyond being situational players who might be inserted at times to contribute the greatest skills they have right now when a situation might warrant.  Or, very short stints in a foul trouble or rotation rest situation.  

If we've learned anything in the Dambrot era, he's going to play the guys he can trust to do what he needs out there.  You won't see people out there for every long if they aren't doing what he expects.  This year, I'm clearly seeing 6 guys solid, and 3 more guys in limited minutes.  I think that's the way it will play out.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

There was a decent crowd for the home team in the second game. They started showing up after halftime of our game. I would say the attendance figures they posted were accurate. After talking to several of their fans I found out that the tournament games were not included in their season ticket package. 

What I've noticed so far this year (from my limited basketball knowledge perspective), is the lack of real-bone headed mistakes and the missing of bunnies under the basket.  I haven't looked at rebounding statistics, but the guys seem to be rebounding better this year.  PF and his constant injuries last year also was really frustrating to watch.  Kwan has really stepped up.  He and Ivey really get after those rebounds.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm not going to speak for the coach, but I don't think anyone would expect to be ready to rely on 10 guys at any point this season.  They are spending as much time as they can afford right now to find out what we have.  You just have to get as many people as possible ready to fill quality minutes.  For instance, if Aaron, Tavian and Michael (the most likely candidates) can contribute 10 or more good minutes starting next month, I think that's good news for us.   If Daniel or Emmanuel end up being capable of doing the same soon, I'd consider that a real bonus, but I don't think see those two guys doing much more this season beyond being situational players who might be inserted at times to contribute the greatest skills they have right now when a situation might warrant.  Or, very short stints in a foul trouble or rotation rest situation.  

If we've learned anything in the Dambrot era, he's going to play the guys he can trust to do what he needs out there.  You won't see people out there for every long if they aren't doing what he expects.  This year, I'm clearly seeing 6 guys solid, and 3 more guys in limited minutes.  I think that's the way it will play out.  

I'm kind of with you. I'm pleased with our depth at guard. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when we get a real SF in here (Eric Parish). Assuming he doesn't RS, I imagine him and Ivey would share minutes at the 3 and Josh, Antino, Noah, and Martin would split the guard minutes. Anyways getting back on point. We really need either Hughes or Aaron Jackson (preferably both) to step it up big time. We are kind of boned anytime Big Dog or Kwan get into foul trouble. Lack of depth in our frontcourt is probably our biggest achilles heel.

Edited by kreed5120

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm kind of with you. I'm pleased with our depth at guard. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when we get a real SF in here (Eric Parish). Assuming he doesn't RS, I imagine him and Ivey would share minutes at the 3 and Josh, Antino, Noah, and Martin would split the guard minutes. Anyways getting back on point. We really need either Hughes or Aaron Jackson (preferably both) to step it up big time. We are kind of boned anytime Big Dog or Kwan get into foul trouble. Lack of depth in our frontcourt is probably our biggest achilles heel.

I always saw Poke as a forward and not a center.  As pointed out by Kreed in last nights game, just not big enough to play against a true center.  KD indicated that Utomi is strong and athletic.  However, when he gets in he seems to want to shoot the 3 ball and stay outside.  (like almost everyone else on this team).  I was hoping he would develop into a strong forward who could rebound and score around the basket.  Does not look like that will happen this year but he and Poke are frosh so we need to give them time to develop.  

Head coach Keith Dambrot is knocking at the door to become the winning-est coach in Akron Basketball history. In his 13-year career at UA, Dambrot has collected 287 career wins in 420 games, which is just one win shy of tying the all-time win mark held by Russell Beichly.

It would be great if we can get a large crowd at the JAR January 3rd to witness him potentially setting the record.

• Like 2

There seems to be a discrepancy over the ONLY way to follow tonight's game vs U. MD-ES.  First off, unlike last night, there appears to be NO stats or gametracker for tonight.  Last night, they were using the CBS Sports gametracker with fine, detailed statistical information -- now Nada!

Secondly, the radio broadcast link from the GoZips.com game notes goes to WHLO, while last night's game was broadcast on Fox 1350 (WARF?).  Try the link provided:  http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20161222k6f5tz

I think the schedule page has the link to Fox Sports Radio.  Hope one works, as at least Frenchy is worthwhile.  He was so honest about the ticky-tack calls both ways last night.  Didn't hesitate to call it out when Akron got the advantage of a bad call, which happened several times, it seemed.

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm kind of with you. I'm pleased with our depth at guard. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when we get a real SF in here (Eric Parish).

We really need either Hughes or Aaron Jackson (preferably both) to step it up big time. We are kind of boned anytime Big Dog or Kwan get into foul trouble. Lack of depth in our frontcourt is probably our biggest achilles heel.

A couple of good points here.  

Yep, a real SF is definitely a hole that needs to be filled.  

And no help for Dog and Kwan in foul situations is probably going to cost us a game at some point.  I wonder....going back to my point about Keith trusting his most experienced players, I suppose we might even see ONE post player and 4 perimeter players at times during conference play, IF the match-up situation allows?  I think it's possible.  We have 4 guards who are certainly much higher on the productivity scale than any of the bench post players right now.  

Regardless, there's probably no answer that's going to develop this year where we don't have AT LEAST 3 guard on the floor all the time.