2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

I just got done watching the last dance and it was great getting insight into the competitiveness of Michael Jordan.  The man was driven to be a great basketball player and had the tools to get there.  Although LCJ is not Michael Jackson, I see that same drive to get better and willingness to put the time into the gym to get to your goals.  I have been watching Akron basketball for a long time and I cannot remember a player who improved as much as LCJ in one year.  Our biggest complaint on this board was that we never had a dominant point guard, a guy who could control the game.  I think LCJ was that player last year.  Unfortunately, we never got to see him in the tournament.  I just wonder whether this year we will see even more improvement and whether he spent another off season in the gym improving his game.

7 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I just got done watching the last dance and it was great getting insight into the competitiveness of Michael Jordan.  The man was driven to be a great basketball player and had the tools to get there.  Although LCJ is not Michael Jackson, I see that same drive to get better and willingness to put the time into the gym to get to your goals.  I have been watching Akron basketball for a long time and I cannot remember a player who improved as much as LCJ in one year.  Our biggest complaint on this board was that we never had a dominant point guard, a guy who could control the game.  I think LCJ was that player last year.  Unfortunately, we never got to see him in the tournament.  I just wonder whether this year we will see even more improvement and whether he spent another off season in the gym improving his game.

I can’t imagine how much better he could possibly get. I’m expecting him to perhaps be slightly better this year, but I’m not expecting another exponential leap.

He took the leap his junior year which Jimmy Conyers took his senior year.

Awesome part is we may even get LCJ for an additional year beyond this one. However, I unfortunately struggle to find a reason where it would make sense for him to do so. He's a fifth year senior, so should have his grad degree at the end of this school year, if not already. I also don't think another season would change his pro opportunities, assuming his goal is to pursue those initially.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Awesome part is we may even get LCJ for an additional year beyond this one. However, I unfortunately struggle to find a reason where it would make sense for him to do so. He's a fifth year senior, so should have his grad degree at the end of this school year, if not already. I also don't think another season would change his pro opportunities, assuming his goal is to pursue those initially.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes

It depends on how this season goes, but if his final two college are ruined BY COVID, he strikes me as the kind of person that might stick around for a 6th year to finish what he started. Hasn't he talked about wanting to go into coaching, too? A 6th year of college ball, especially learning from Groce & Co. could be beneficial. 

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on what he wants out of life.  As much as I like the kid and his game he's not an NBA player.  If he wants to play more his options may be to play at UA or go to some corner of the world in a foreign land and that's not appealing to everyone.  It's been a decent life for guys like Romeo, Kwan, Nate and Dru, but it's not a life everyone wants.  Lord knows we'd be happy to keep him as long as he wants to be here!

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Just reported on 92.3 The Fan that, fresh off a butt whooping from OU, Cleveland State has added a game against OSUcks on Dec. 13th. 

How aren't we adding games like this - especially when we originally had a game with OSUcks?

Trust the process?  OSU willing to play team that lost by 50?

We have a game the 12th and the 15th leading up our conference opener on the 19th.  Those two prior to conference play seem like enough, assuming we couldn't start any earlier due to COVID. It hit us....it is what it is. Better now than in conference play when that actually means something for conference tourney seeding, affecting our chances to make it to the dance, unlike a random OOC game. Don't you guys think if we could be playing, we would? You know...like the women's team is....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We have a game the 12th and the 15th leading up our conference opener on the 19th.  Those two prior to conference play seem like enough, assuming we couldn't start any earlier due to COVID. It hit us....it is what it is. Better now than in conference play when that actually means something for conference tourney seeding, affecting our chances to make it to the dance, unlike a random OOC game. Don't you guys think if we could be playing, we would? You know...like the women's team is....

We have a scrimmage on the 12th. 

"Hi, Cedarville? We have an opportunity to play Ohio State, so we're gonna have to cancel our scrimmage."

Always felt it was kind of lame to have a nickname that was just a shortened name of your town/institution (St Bonaventure Bonnies, Duquesne Dukes). Wayne County seems to suffer a bit from this (Chippewa Chipps, Smithville Smithies). Thank goodness Wooster decided not to follow that trend.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

Always felt it was kind of lame to have a nickname that was just a shortened name of your town/institution (St Bonaventure Bonnies, Duquesne Dukes). Wayne County seems to suffer a bit from this (Chippewa Chipps, Smithville Smithies). Thank goodness Wooster decided not to follow that trend.  

Leave me alone MDZip!  I am an alum of the Smithville Smithies and now live in Doylestown and my kids are Chippewa Chipps.  Who knows for how much longer with the Indians changing their name it is going to trickle down to college and high school  . . .?

23 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

Leave me alone MDZip!  I am an alum of the Smithville Smithies and now live in Doylestown and my kids are Chippewa Chipps.  Who knows for how much longer with the Indians changing their name it is going to trickle down to college and high school  . . .?

Thank goodness the Doylestown area went with the name Chippewa or you may have ended up with Doylestown Doylies.  I'd be happy with Chipps!  

• Haha 1