Larry Williams Gone - Replaced by UW-Green Bay's Charles Guthrie

94zipgrad

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Cinci has had nationally ranked football teams for over a decade now, spanning 5 coaches. They're a good program. Well, besides when Tuberville stopped by..

A school can come by a national ranking in a lot of different ways: easy schedule, name recognition (ie: Michigan), lazy journalists voting lazily, top team in a G5 conference, media darling, etc. It is true that Cincy is a good program (great G5 program...currently) with an excellent coach. Take that same program and drop them in a P5 conference and they are .500 at best. Let's take a TCU for example. They were a much better program when they jumped to the Big 12 than Cincy is right now. They are something like 58-44 since joining the Big 12. The luster is completely off of the program and their buffoonish coach. Some day Texas will get their act together and as Texas AM continues to expand their recruiting possibilities with their entrance into the SEC, TCU stands a better chance of becoming a cautionary tale rather than a beacon of hope.

There are a handful of G5 schools like Cincy. The rest of the G5 schools need to decide if they want to remain on the current track to nowhere or go on another track and force the handful of really good G5 schools decide where they really want to be. The current direction of college football tells us G5 schools should really look at another track.

• 1 month later...

Text from the email-

Exciting news from Akron Athletics!

University of Akron President Gary L. Miller will announce the appointment of a new director of athletics at a press conference at 11 a.m. today (Tuesday, May 4).

The event will be streamed live on GoZips.com.

Tune in to learn more about our new AD.

Go Zips!

9 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

Akron: UW-Green Bay athletic director Charles Guthrie is expected to be the new athletic director at Akron, per the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

As far as G5 schools go, this is more of the same. Neither bad nor the brave jump forward I would like to see. The good old boy network is difficult to break. Since it is more of the same, expect the same.

Two whole questions. The excitement for this hire is out of control. Apathy reigns. No mention of football issues. His number one priority, "assessment". If he doesn't know what he is getting into when he takes the job he is more hopeless than I thought. 

1 minute ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Glad you could find it. All I got was a bunch of links that didn't work. What was this, like a 10 minute press conference?

I clicked on the link in the email and it went to a commercial for Ohio 529 plans then rolled into Gary Miller and his couple of minutes of basic introductory babble.  I listened for a couple of minutes to Guthrie saying all of the SOS as every other one of these then gave up.  I assume  the two questions came from GT as he's usually the only one there.   

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I clicked on the link in the email and it went to a commercial for Ohio 529 plans then rolled into Gary Miller and his couple of minutes of basic introductory babble.  I listened for a couple of minutes to Guthrie saying all of the SOS as every other one of these then gave up.  I assume  the two questions came from GT as he's usually the only one there.   

I was able to find the replay. They may want to cut out the 8 minute "Press Conference to Begin Shortly" intro. 🙄

32 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

As long as he can raise money and build and maintain relationships, he should be fine.

If this is all we expect out of our AD, we need to fold up the Athletic Department.

In closing, I'm pray to the good Lord that the University did not spend a dime on an executive recruiting firm.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

A football guy made a terrible football hire as the last AD, so maybe this is reverse psychology? As long as he can raise money and build and maintain relationships, he should be fine.

He doesn’t have to be a “football guy” to be successful,  but it would be helpful if the person has experience managing a department that had a football program at any level, let alone a D 1- G 5 program and the challenges that presents ( besides just the hiring of coaches).

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

If this is all we expect out of our AD, we need to fold up the Athletic Department.

In closing, I'm pray to the good Lord that the University did not spend a dime on an executive recruiting firm.

Wouldn't that be classic?  Hire a recruiting firm to locate the guy you already knew from your time at UWGB.

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

Well, the Good Lord did not listen to your prayers.  Akron paid BIG $$$ to Collegiate Sports Associates to hire Guthrie.  CSA is led by Todd Turner who has been fired as the AD as Washington, UConn, NC State and Vanderbilt.

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/

3 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

He doesn’t have to be a “football guy” to be successful,  but it would be helpful if the person has experience managing a department that had a football program at any level, let alone a D 1- G 5 program and the challenges that presents ( besides just the hiring of coaches).

As I recall our "football guy" had never run a collegiate football program either. 

6 hours ago, GP1 said:

Yes, as my post says, that is all I expect out of the AD. Shut it down. Raze the JAR. Turn InfoCision into a Zoo. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DannyHoke said:

Well, the Good Lord did not listen to your prayers.  Akron paid BIG $$$ to Collegiate Sports Associates to hire Guthrie.  CSA is led by Todd Turner who has been fired as the AD as Washington, UConn, NC State and Vanderbilt.

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/

Guys and Ladies, are we living in some parallel universe where every athletic administration issue is handled with unbelievable incompetence? As I said in an earlier post you can't make this up. We hire the AD from our president's former university and we pay $100,000 to find him when our president knows more about him than any recruiting firm could. Why, because our new AD reported to our president weekly for years. On top of that football is our biggest issue and the guy we hire to solve that problem has no D1 experience of any sort. Don't you think a competent recruiting firm would have recommended someone with a plan and experience to restore the football program? You can't make this up. I'd like to remind you that the $100,000 we found for this search could have more than funded a men's cross country program along with outside funds that were pledged for years. It also would have kept our most decorated olympian Clayton Murphy supporting U of A, not that that was critical. But it would have been nice.

• Like 1